Sunday, October 14, 2007

Assembling the Pieces

As many of you know, I am a planner. Many of my garments are planned out well in advance so that when I am ready to sew them, all I have to do is sit down and go for it.

I really want to make View D of McCalls 5555:



I think this will be a pretty fall dress that will work nicely in my corporate environment. So I have spent the week purchasing all of the pieces to make my "vision" of the dress work.

From Fashionista Fabrics, I got three yards of this beautiful paisley wool challis:




Then from Nancy's Notions, I ordered a crib size sheet of wool batting and a blue varigated silk thread because in my mind I see the yoked neckline and sleeves with a "trapunto" style embellishment. Nothing fancy or ornate just a little something to give it some zing. I have a silky blue lining fabric in my stash that I will use in this dress and several sparkly blue glass buttons that I will add to the back yoke.

I also want to try out a tip that I learned from Kathryn (fzxdoc on Stitchers Guild) - using elastic hair pieces as button loops. Note to self, need to get a pack of those from Duane Reade tomorrow!

So while I am finishing up the CC Inspiration Jacket and corresponding pieces, I am plotting my next project...something that won't take as long to emerge from my sewing machine but still be a vital part of my work wardrobe.

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this lovely wool challis! I admire your planning process - I am a planner also, but somehow I haven't gotten up to speed on my sewing yet. Also love that coat, I had not heard of wool jersey felting, but what a great result. Can't wait to see these on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to brag about my psychic ability, but after reading your blog for the last few months, when I saw this I said that this has Carolyn written all over it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been drooling over that fabric for the last few days - it is so beautiful. I look forward to seeing it come to life in your hands. If anyone can make this fabric sing, it's you. Ooo...the anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see your dress Carolyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you plan, you go to the max. It will be a beautiful outfit and won't look anything like the pattern envelope. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your choice of fabric! The dress is sure to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, that fabric is beautiful, can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn, I'm way behind on catching up on your blog, but that paisley fabric is gorgeous. I'm sure your dress will turn out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fabric pattern and looking forward to your FO.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails