Monday, December 08, 2008

Vogue 8137 - An Update

Two weekends and still no finished jacket! See that's why suit sewing is soooo hard for me! *LOL* Since the only progress I made in the Christmas sewing was to get everything out and prewashed, I thought I would give you an update on my jacket progress so far...

I made quite a few alterations to the jacket body that I will put into the review of the finished garment...but the main change that I made and that's reflected in my progress report is that the pattern front comes with the front facing attached to the pattern body. I cut this apart and added 5/8" seam allowances to both sides of the pattern pieces. This is just my personal quirk but I like putting a lining in with a sewn in facing versus a cut-on facing.

So picture time...first here is a picture of the lining and the facing on Lulu:




Here is one of where I left the jacket last night:



There is still alot of work to do on the jacket to make it wearable, but I am loving the hand-painted lining against the red fabric:



Now about that button choice...thanks for all of your votes and opinions but I'm going with #4 because I plan on making a dress (yes, a dress!) to go with this jacket and some smaller buttons in the #4 styling will work wonderfully on the dress...and yes, of course I have a master plan...which will be revealed some time in the future!




32 comments:

  1. WOW your painted fabric looks great with the red. Makes it pop. Way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jacket and the painted fabric looks incredible! Almost too pretty to be a lining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luscious! Absolutely. The lining adds such dazzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is gonna be another good one. The lining is TDF! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this jacket, that lining is incredible. I can't wait to see it finished. I LOVE RED, you are inspiring me to pull out some red fabric & get busy...maybe in time for Christmas! I like the #4 buttons too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that painted lining. It looks incredible with the red. Can't wait to see the master plan exposed. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, the lining makes it so special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your fabrics match perfectly. And i love the color. You will look fabulous in your new suit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to make sure you do a lot of reaching when you wear this jacket. Make sure everyone sees the great looking lining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that lining looked great on its own, but with the red, it just pops! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really smashing, Carolyn! I really like a contrasting lining these days and this one is TDF!

    BetsyV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your painted lining blows a pretty jacket right out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lookin' good, Carolyn! Viva la red!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect color and shape for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so loving that lining! Of course, I'm a big fan of red already. I like separate facings, too. It seems like that seam line at the front edge makes for a crisper and sturdier edge(probably because it has been reinforced with stitching). I know you'll be just smashing in this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you have enough of the lining to make a small neck scarf painted with red paint? It would give the observer something to drool over when you were removing your jacket to reveal a dynamite lining!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking Good! This is a classic that you will wear a long time. Love the black and white and red lining touch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The jacket is coming along beautifully and especially with your personal touch - the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely stunning. I hope you show the lining off at every opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that red! The lining looks really perfect against the red.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The red is such a delicious shade and will look great on you. And yes, the lining simply puts this jacket over the top. I think the gold buttons will look beautiful with the red fabric. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Karendee

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so right - that lining is looking so good! Can't wait to see the master plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I fell in love with your jacket when you started it and hunted the vogue pattern to add to the stash. Like everyone else I look forward to watching your ensemble progress to see what you have planned. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty! It's kinda sad the fabric is gonna be the lining though. It won't be seen as much, and it's just beautiful. The good thing is though that it makes the jacket that much more special.

    Hugs,
    Lory

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not very original, I know, but great job on the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the same fabric you used for the lining and I agree with everyone else, adding the red accents really makes it pop. I make a lot of jackets and sometimes they do take a lot of time. But I have a feeling this one will be worth it and you will wear it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found your block, and I'm amazed! The lining is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Carolyn, I know others have said it, but I LOVE that lining. I have a special place in my heart for black / white / red. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails