Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This is what I want to dress like when I grow up!

That's a mouthful right?!  But I was perusing style.com this morning...looking at the pre-fall 2011 collections...checking out my favorite designers and fell in love with the Oscar de la Renta line.  Now I love Oscar for his use of color, for knowing his client base and because not only does his clothing look classy and elegant but there's a sense of fun to it!  Well at least to me! *LOL*

So these are the looks that really called my name:

Pink jacket and skirt
(This reminds me of S2958)


boucle goodness skirt suit


A great jacket and dress combo
(Vogue 7975 & my TNT dress pattern)


another jacket & skirt combo


the jacket skirt combo
is a variation on a theme


I loved this dress because of the fabric


I can see this as a short dress for work
and not in sequins!


Love the embroidery on this one

There were a few things that struck me about this line.  He has designed just a couple of jacket styles reworking them in different fabrics and patterns and with either a dress, a skirt or a pair of pants.  The skirt featured in the first look was remade in all types of fabric - even leather - and paired with different jackets throughout this collection.  I love the bow on the skirt but I know I will never wear it like that...however, the skirt is very wearable and easily reproduced.

Now I know you are wondering how could I be inspired by the ballgowns!  Well the first dress reminds of a simple coat dress.  I have several of these patterns from the '90s in my collection.  It would be easy to pull some fabric, some lining and buttons and have a go at it!  However, the last ballgown is all about the embellishment detail!  I can actually see a row of buttons down the front of my TNT dress pattern with some embroidery on either side.  I'm not sure if the embroidery would be tone-on-tone (if I chose to make the dress in a bright solid color) or if I used black wool crepe the embroidered flowers could be out of black/white/gray.  Wouldn't that be an amazing dress...*sigh*

We got about 10" of snow last night so I'm home today.  I'm off to go play on my sewing machine and see what emerges...

...as always, more later! 


24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lovely collection. Now I'm thinking jackets and skirts for spring too. And even though black+white+pink has been on the board for a while now, it's still my favorite color combo. Thanks for posting and enjoy your snow day!
    -Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you see me with my arm up in the air waving madly...Me too! I wish that I had more time to troll for beautiful outfit ideas like those! My fave's are the second, third and fourth from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a lot of thing that I like in his collection. I'm hoping to get a couple of TNT patterns for jackets so I can make suits for church.

    I hate snow as much as you do. We only had 3" of snow and I used it as an excuse to stay home. Sewing and housework are on the agenda for today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful collection! I love the jackets! They could easily go from a "lady that lunches" to jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Oscar De La Renta! I cruise the Nieman Marcus website periodically to see what they have in their designer sections. I found this dress, http://goo.gl/AAoJY , and totally plan on using it for "inspiration" on one of my Spring dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness! I want to dress like that when I grow up too! Thanks for the embroidered dress - I've been trying to figure out how to add embroidery as an embellishment in a 'grown up' way.

    Can't wait to see what your snow day produces, bet it's another dress! g

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had to wear one designer for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose ODL. These picks are stunning. I'm wanting to go make a fuller skirt now!

    Hey, thanks for suggesting that Jane Conlon embellishment book. I picked it up at the library last night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That embroidery looks like it might be applique, braid or rattail stitched on top of the fabric.

    I love that head-to-toe hot pink suit.

    Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the collection! i wanna be like that when i grow up too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all of these, thanks for sharing all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great line up of inspiration garments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. De la Renta's is one of the collections I have to take a look at online every season. And your choice of inspiration pics are great. (BTW, I love the way you can transform your TNT pattern into just about anything.)

    It's funny. I just cut out some black and white boucle for a sheath dress last night and I think I have enough for a coordinating jacket. I'd love to attempt that Butterick jacket but I'm not sure my skills are up to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree this is a lovely collection. What struck me most was the pink bow with the black and white boucle suit. Such a simple thing, but it just hit me right between the eyes. I think I need to steal this idea. I can see you in that outfit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The boucle goodness with the bow is so you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carolyn, your skills are amazing. Such foresight and vision. I'm still trying to figure out how you made that dress (in plaid!) from 2 yards of material. I read somewhere that cutting out pieces one at a time instead of double can save fabric-is that what you do? You're such an inspiration--sew much sew (pun intended) that I will be scheduling some time off work next month to have a 'sew-cation'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um... but I want to dress like YOU when I grow up (ok, so clearly you are about twenty steps ahead of me in the dressing like a grownup department).

    I love that black-and-white-and-hotpink suit. LOVE it. I'm almost wishing I had to wear suits to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The collection is wonderful. You have great taste...but you already knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love love love picture #2, boucle goodness skirt suit! Great inspiration pics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. At least there is an upside to all that snow! Some lovely stuff here, I like the way you can look at these pieces and find elements that will work for your lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my first visit to your blog...boy! Am I impressed! You look lovely in your outfits and dresses. I am going to become a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sigh. You made me look! Yes, there are some really lovely looks in that collection. I'm loving the teal blue color. Sunday dress for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great collection! Another pattern to consider for the pink 2pc. is S2427 along with the jacket from your mentioned pattern....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Um, yes please!! I'd wear almost all of those right off the runway. Beautiful garments.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love the the first fuchsia one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails