Monday, March 14, 2011

A Skirt or Two...

I think I mentioned a post or two back that I'm having a real thing about skirts this season.  Maybe it's because of the atrocious weather this winter that I've been wearing jeans to work, and taking a skirt because it folds easily in my bag...or maybe it's because I've fully embraced twinsets again...and purchased quite a few in solid colors...but whatever I'm totally in love with skirts again.

Over the years I've picked up quite a few pieces of fabrics that would make interesting skirts.  No plain dull solid color skirts...nope, I need a novelty fabric or a print, something I can use to express myself yet remain within the confines of my work's dress code...tho' lately I think I've been pushing it!  *LOL*

Anyway, this weekend I finished off the green/beige silk tweed skirt that I started before I became obsessed with the Versace Inspired Dress.


Some stats:

Fabric:
1.5 yards of silk twill purchased during PR Weekend from London Fabrics

Notions:
Bemberg Rayon Lining
Silk Organza
2 green glass buttons
7" green zipper

Pattern:
TNT skirt pattern

Construction:
It was straight forward except that I underlined the fashion fabric in silk organza.  I like the heft of the skirt once it's underlined and a lining is added to the skirt...it gives it substance.


The fashion fabric was cut on the cross grain so that I could use the selvedges as the hemline.


And the two green buttons add a nice touch to the waistband.  I always add a button or two to the waistband.  I find it's easier to wear rather than hooks and eyes or snaps.


I had the option of making a coordinating cardigan for the skirt above or making another skirt.  I went with another skirt.  During the week, I'd noticed that I don't own a gray gored skirt for winter...I don't even own a gray straight skirt...so I dug a piece of wool crepe out of the collection and made my trusty 4-gore skirt from my TNT pattern.

This fabric had already been pretreated because I made a pair of pants from the original length several years ago.  I also used a version of the flared TNT skirt pattern that I had enlarged quite a bit:


This makes for a very full elastic waisted skirt:


Some stats:

Fabric:
Gray wool crepe

Notions:
Rayon lining
1" non roll elastic

Construction:
Again construction is very straight forward...the only addition to this skirt is that I've sewed the lining and skirt right sides together and then flipped the lining into the skirt.  Pressed the seam open and flat...to create a finished seamline for the casing.  Since the skirt is very wide, it has a narrow hem on both the lining and fashion fabric.  Both hems were machine stitched...and that's it. 

Another skirt with a twinset look for work this week:


Left to sew on my winter list is a cardigan to coordinate with the silk tweed skirt above, a jacket and skirt combo and a pair of pants.  I think I can get these finished by the end of March especially since I have a day off on the 24th.

...as always, more later!

30 comments:

  1. Great skirts! My mom is on a skirt kick as well. I have an olddddddddddddd oop Vogue one that I hope to finish this week lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I like how you used the selvedge on the first one. You look good in a twin set. I can see why you bought so many.
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *immediately* noticed the selvedge edge on the first skirt and I love that twist! Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the grey skirt looks on you

    ReplyDelete
  5. That silk tweed skirt is fabulous, and the outfit with the twin set is 2DF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like the tweed skirt and will "steal" the selvedge as hem idea from you. Enjoy your skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lookin' good, lookin' good. I'm also loving the bangs. Work it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Easy skirts make for satisfying sewing. Both skirts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the rough, selvedge edge of the tweed skirt. It really makes the skirt for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great skirts, I like the fringe hem on the first one, nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I likt them both but I think the gray is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, aren't you looking saucy in your new skirts and twin-sets! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of these look great on you. I thought I was over pencil skirts, but I love the fringe on yours. And the fuller skirt looks very now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful skirts! Love the selvage hem. Skirts are a great (almost) instant gratification project - that is, so long as you stay away from nitty little details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both skirts are lovely Carolyn. I really like your idea of using the selvedge as the hem. Hmmm...I'll have to try that!Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both skirts look great on you. My fav is the gray tweed. I also love the new hair do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see why you're in-love with skirts again. They look perfect on you. Both styles. The tweed is TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are both wonderful skirts you will wear a lot. Gray skirts are a basic in my wardrobe. It seems like they can be worn with so many colors and different style tops. I like how you used the fringed selvedge on the tweed skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that selvedge edge! Two great additions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the green tweed and how you used the selvedge. Love the hair, too. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely skirts... The silk tweed is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the tweed skirt, Love the edging.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both skirts look great. I especially love the first one with the selvage edge. I picked up the book The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Techniques and did a quick buzz through it this past weekend. They have the technique in the book that you just used on your first skirt where you added the underlining to give the skirt more body. Nice. I am going to have to try that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are both terrific skirts. I especially like the full skirt--very swingy, very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh. The full grey one is so chic- I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Why can't I look that good in a full skirt??? Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the salvege on the skirt. That was clever. Both skirts look great. When i see what you are doing, maybe that will put some fire under me to sew something.

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you for such great inspiration! I am heading back into the 'real' work force and love your professional style :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely skirts and they look great on you too. I have not worn a skirt in years as I find my inner thighs rub together and it's uncomfortable. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I particularly love the first skirt - such great details and I love that tweed fabric! Can I also say that the bangs/ponytail look is really cute. I like!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails