Friday, July 08, 2011

July Diary Ramblings...

There has been very little sewing going on here...even though I did quite a bit of sewing last weekend.  Work was a little overwhelming since they were trying to squeeze five days worth into four...and I narrowly escaped working this weekend.


I did take advantage of several of the holiday sales and things have been trickling in this week...


a couple of patterns 
from the Club BMV Sale


a linen print and a rayon 
batik from Sawyer Brook




and the sale at Fabric Mart was too good to pass up so I bought a few yards of the Couture Linens - cause as you know linen is one of my favorite fabrics to sew with...


My daughter (The Little Prince's mother) took a load of knits off my hands - she wanted to make some new summer dresses and her fabric is in storage.  Just in time because once again, I'm at my max for fabric storage...*sigh*


While I was in a meeting this week I made a list of things I want to sew this month...of course, it's all dresses. The first one is cut out laying on the cutting table waiting to be worked on this weekend.  Two of the dresses will be made  from new Vogue patterns and one is from my TNT pattern.  Speaking of my TNT pattern and my propensity to sew dresses...I want to thank everyone who left such wonderful comments stating that my style wasn't boring.  It's nice to get such awesome encouragement because a few negative comments stay with you for such a long time.


I've also decided that I want to make my own version of a 6pac wardrobe (a sew-along on Stitchers Guild) during the month of August.  I need another suit for work that isn't black, gray or brown.  I just got five yards of a great honey tan that will work well as the basis for a new suit and the accompanying pieces. 


Karima wrote, "I'm always amazed with what you pull out of your fabric closet."  Thanks this made me smile because I really need to be pulling more things out of the closet instead of adding to it! 


Speaking of which, the black silk jersey that I used in the QVC knock-off cardigan was bought on Gigi's recommendation.  I was on some sewing board and Gigi was extolling the silk jersey she'd bought from Fashions Fabric Club and I hurried over and snatched up a yard or two in black and red.  Both have lingered in my fabric collection, moving from apt to apt with me, waiting for the right opportunity to make its entrance into the world.


Which brings me to the wearability factor...this week I wore three newly sewn garments.  The QVC knock-off cardigan - which wore very well and received quite a few compliments.  Those panel fronts were huge attention getters!  I also finally wore the Butterick 5600 dress, which while it garnered quite a few compliments - most centered around the unusual fabric - it barely passed the wearability test.  Primarily because it doesn't have enough buttons down the front.  I used several safety pins to make it through the day without hurting someone's eyes!  The black silk crepe dress was hands down the easiest thing to wear this week.  I wore it on a 90 degree day and it was perfect.  It was lightweight, comfortable and looked good all day long.


So these are my thoughts late on a Friday evening.  I'm glad it's the weekend because I plan on working on my PYT dress.


...as always, more later!

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, some nice stash enhancement there, especially from Sawyer Brook. I missed those pieces you ordered and the one piece I did order, they ran out of. Oh well, I didn't need it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky DD to get to shop your stash! I would probably lose all my saliva drooling over it :-) I too have many dresses I want to sew but I'm having fabric commitment issues...I just can't bring myself to cut anything. I hope you have a productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog and love it. I'm a lapsed uber-sewer (former fabric store and sewing school owner,one of the first Palmer/Pletsch instructors, ex-Baby Lock education director) but some recent life changes (happy ones!) now make it possible for me to get back to my favorite hobby.
    For the past 20 years I've been working as an image consultant, helping sewing enthusiasts and "civillians" (regular consumers) make selctions that will flatter them and work together into versatile wardrobes. You might enjoy my weekly email newsletter "New You in 52" - a one-year program to update/upgrade a woman's look in small steps. Not that YOU need an upgrade - just because you are obviously interested in all things style-related. You can sign up on my web site www.NancyNixRice.com.
    Also FYI - my book LOOKING GOOD with Palmer/Pletsch is an updated and expanded version of the 1974 classic CLOTHES SENSE that you list among your top 10 favorites.
    Great to "meet" you! Hope we can make it face-to-face some time.
    Nancy Nix-Rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wardrobe boring...seriously! You always look wonderful and totally put together. I too have become a dress person and wear those more than anything. I'm trying so hard to keep from succumbing to the FM sale....hard, really, really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Style is a very personal thing but you have oodles of it. I am jealous of your wardrobe and fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails