Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Cardigan and the Top

Pieces number 5 and 6 are now done.  The cardigan was made from my tried and true Burda pattern 8869 and the top is from Butterick 3124 which is now out of print.


I took several pictures of the process because even though the cardigan pattern is a TNT, the fabric dictated that it get some special consideration. There is a lot of fusible interfacing in this garment to give it structure in all of the important places like the sleeve hems, the hem of the cardigan, and the binding along the neckline.


interfacing at the seam hem


At one point I contemplated adding pockets to the front of the cardigan but discarded that idea after I let it sit overnight.  I didn't like the idea so much in the morning.




Otherwise, it was a pretty straightforward construct with most of it done on the serger.




The top is a good first make and it will be a wearable muslin.  I will make it again because I love the way the neck and the shoulders fit.  Although, I still need to do some work on the body because this one was cut too big and I had to take the side seams in alot.


Here is a picture of the collection so far:


Cardigan, top, pants, jacket
skirt and dress

I will have more about the pieces after I work some more with the tripod.  Because this is the best picture from my first effort.  Now if I can just learn how not to cut my head off, it will be a good thing! *LOL*




The last piece in the collection is the white shirt from Simplicity 2566 which I will work on this weekend...


...as always, more later!







21 comments:

  1. Those are great pieces in a really gorgeous colour. I do admire your ability to stick to a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good! The cardigan looks super comfy. I have been thinking I should make one this year - thanks for the tip about the interfacing. Can't wait to see pictures once the collection is totally finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this collection and look forward to seeing the last piece finished. Well done on a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your twinset. I would probably end up wearing it more than the jacket! It's pretty, feminine, appropriate, and just looks so darn cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two more beautiful pieces that can be worn together and each mixed and matched with so many other items in your wardrobe (closet). And these two are so useful with working in an air conditioned office yet travelling to and from work in all sorts of weather conditions.

    I so love this collection, Michelle downunder in Wellington, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, a bit of tape stuck to the wall about 3-5" above head height should help you align the camera-if you see the tape in the view finder, you know your head will be in the picture. Lower the camera until it's just at the very top and you should be set up just right.

    Love this collection, it's a very soft and feminine look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, I love this collection. The twinset is cozy and comfortable and at the same time work-appropriate--and what else do we want from our clothes? The color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice set of garments, Carolyn!

    Use your dress form to adjust your tripod height before you take a picture. Just make sure her height is the same as yours (line up your shoulder points). This works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. About using a tripod, you should be able to set your camera so that it is perpendicular to the floor giving you a vertical frame. The plate that the camera sits on can be turned vertically.
    The wardrobe is looking great. Gray is such a versatile neutral that there must be tons of other pieces in your wardrobe what will also go with the main pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really nice twinset, Carolyn!

    It looks to me that you should turn your camera so that it's in portrait orientation. My tripod lets me swivel the camera so that the picture is the long way, up and down. Your tripod must do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So inspiring! The collection looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful to see how this collection is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you wear any of this gorgeous collection this week?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I particularly love the turtleneck. I'm curious to know - for obvious reasons (I bought it!) - how the drape and hand are on this sweater knit. It looks very soft and rich in the photos. Pls. tell me it's equally gorgeous in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this collection. Do you feel better about the jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!! Lovely sweater set.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful collection, Carolyn. I love the cowl neck on the sleeveless top. That is an absolutely gorgeous cardigan/top set. Very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. Lovely, as always, and an inspiration. I loved what you did earlier showing a picture of what you wore every day of the week. In the long run it's perhaps not sustainable, but maybe for one week a month...? I know a blog is all about the writing, bur more pictures please.
    2. I looked at the Heidi Daus jewellery and am stunned anyone still wears clip earrings. I had to look twice. Must live in a small town or something.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gosh, the colors are coming together so beautifully. they definitely have that pantone spring 2012 pallet look into them. very, very pretty, omega.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails