Monday, January 02, 2012

Designer Inspired - An Erdem Interpretation

Prologue:
I was on Vogue.com last week when I spied Erdem's Pre-Fall Collection 2012 and I fell in love.  I loved his mix of prints and patterns but the dress that really caught my eye was the Jane Houndstooth & Crepe Dress from his Resort 2012 Collection.  I'd never really looked at his line before even though I'd seen it in the list of designers at style.com.  So this led to a little research.  I found out that he is a young designer working out of London.  I also went back through several of his collections on style.com to get a handle on what he liked to design and I loved his silhouettes.  I also viewed his pieces on a few RTW sites and was thrilled when I found several on net-a-porter because then you can see the garments walked on a model.




So the Jane Dress, really caught my eye...so much so that I was drooling on my keyboard at work! *LOL*  I mean this is the perfect silhouette for my body.  It is made up in my favorite fabric of the moment, Houndstooth,  and it would work for my professional work life.  My only concern is that the back of the dress is a white crepe.  That's just not happening in my life so I envisioned the dress with a few changes.


Day One - Finding the Fabric
After becoming obsessed  with this awesome dress, I came home and did something I swore I wouldn't do any time soon, I opened the fabric bins and dug through them until I found the black and white Houndstooth that I purchased from Mood and the black wool crepe that is a staple in my fabric collection.  Because like I stated before, the white back is not working for me...however...a black wool crepe back would be perfect!




I also decided to add a center back seam and an invisible zipper for ease of getting into and out of the dress.  Finally some 3/4 length sleeves from the black wool crepe will also be added to the dress so that I can wear the dress as is...without sleeves means that I would need to wear a jacket or cardigan with it...which in my opinion would detract from the dress.


Day Two - Pretreating the Fabric
By choosing to use the wool crepe I knew I would need to pretreat the fabric to prevent all of my hard work from shrinking...so since I'm impatient and I was pretreating after work, I used Pam Erny's method (which I can't locate on her blog, Off the Cuff, right now...so if someone has the link would you kindly leave it in the comments section!)  Basically Pam's method is to take a damp white towel and place it alongwith the fabric in the dryer and pretreat the fabric.  So this is what I did, white towel, fabric with serged ends in the dryer for 40 minutes.


Then I set up my ironing board with the blanket beneath it (to cover the floor) and steamed the heck out of both sides of the fabric.


The machine prep was next...making a couple of black bobbins and changing the thread on my serger and that's where I left the project for the evening.  Since I've been working on this in the evenings after work during Christmas week, the dress has taken shape slowly.  Again something unusual for me, I usually wait for the weekend to sew but I just couldn't wait for this one...it was consuming me creatively!  


Stay tuned for more on this dress...



37 comments:

  1. Oh my - this is going to be amazing! I can't wait to see it finished. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to seeing the completed dress. The white crepe back of the original/inspiration dress is just not practical to my mind - but i love the black that you plan to use and also 3/4 length sleeves. You are going to knock everone's socks off with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be following you along on this creation - it will be a stunner...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eagerly waiting for the finished project. For some reason I couldn't leave a comment on your previous post. Wishing you a happy and prosperous new year and all the best in 2012. Your blog has always a been a source of inspiration, thanks for sharing your creativity with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I can make a contribution! The URL from Off the Cuff is http://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-pre-shrink-woolfast-and-easy.html.

    Oh yes, and I LOVE this dress! Will it have neckline darts, as the inspiration dress appears to have? I love the body-skimming shape of this dress!

    I'm so glad I finally got a Google account so I could comment on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Carolyn. We have only just rolled over into 2012 and you are already up and running! Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this dress, and you know I would have done exactly the same thing. Black back and sleeves. It will look fabulous, and I look forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your designer-inspired creations! It is always so interesting to follow your creative process and see how you make fashion work for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can tell that this dress is going to be beautiful. Of all the dresses you made in 2011 the black & white ones were my favourites. Have I mentioned I loooove houndstooth?
    A very happy and productive new year to you.

    Kathy, Perth, Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made a spot on fabric selection. I can feel your enthusiasm and I'll keep a eye out for the next installment. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this is so you! You're starting to give me a hankering for houndstooth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your choice for black on the backside of the dress. For me...white...would just scream out at you (let alone getting dirty quickly) whereas the black is more figure flattering and I think a nicer look all around. Can't wait to see this project progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to seeing you create this dress. Its going to be beautiful. Love the black crepe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My current obsession is also houndstooth. I love your plan, and thinking about my own stash...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to see the finished dress. I never thought about using the houndstooth for a dress, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh the dress is beautiful I am totally going to be a copy cat and make one of my own! Are you going to use your tnt?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year to you. I love reading about your creative process. You are so generous to share each step.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you going to make the sleeves all one color or each half to match the fabric (black on the back half of the sleeve; houndstooth on the front?)? This is going to be an amazing dress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Very Happy New Year To You!!!
    Looking forward to reading many more of your interesting posts with creativity.
    Your new-est creative design is for sure a screamin WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Carolyn, I can't wait to see the final dress. I like the choice of the solid black better than white on anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is going to be exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mojo is back; mojo is working; mojo is smokin'

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you were right to go with the black crepe on the back. And houndstooth is wonderful fabric, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a sucker for anything houndstooth and this dress is no exception. I cannot wait to see your version. I think black is a great call instead of the white.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This dress is going to be smoking! Got some houndtooth myself. You are giving me some ideas. Can't wait to see your dress finished. And yes the black crepe is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Planning is everything and you are well on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the dress, too. Can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is gorgeous. I cant wait to see the finished garment.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That inspiration dress is gorgeous... looking forward to your version.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great way to start the new year - fully inspired and raring to go! really looking forward to the results on this one

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's going to look fabulous. Looking forward to seeing it when you're done.

    ~Sewjourner

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love love love the houndstooth! I saw some in a great green at Fabric Mart... but I thought it would be a bear to match. I can't wait to watch your process as you continue to create this beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carolyn, I too am in love with houndstooth right now. I've collected several pieces, but haven't made anything out of them. I'm SUCH a procrastinator, but you may be helping with that. I really like the silhouette of that dress.
    Now where did I put that white wool crepe. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh to be so up to date in fashion. I will be waiting with everyone else to see your version. I cut out my houndstooth last week but never imagined this style (two toned).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Carolyn, I have been following your blog since October 2011 when I started my own. I really enjoy your posts and your garments are impecable. The Houndstooth dress is gorgeous.
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails