Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thanks!

Overwhelmingly, I was told that the Lavender & Gray Skies Jacket is a success in your eyes!  You also supplied some food for thought with the suggestions you left in the comments section.  Some of which I am seriously considering because they jive with my own thought patterns and some I'm considering because they have ignited a creative spark.


I am, however, taking the advice to withhold judgement on the jacket until all the other pieces are completed.  I can see how I'm a little too close to it and even though I don't make alot of jackets, I still end up with 4 or 5 every year.  So Sherrill, you are right that I do prefer cardigans but I still need jackets in my work wardrobe for certain events and meetings.


Someone asked what I do.  I work for an investment bank so it's a pretty corporate environment and the only time its casual is on Fridays...and even that depends upon what type of meetings are scheduled for that day.  MaryBeth, I'm definitely considering a scarf from the knit and I think I have enough left over that I may even see if I could make a sweater dress.  So there are possibilities, which is why I'm keeping my mind open.


Ursula, thanks so much for your kind offer of the wool jersey but the jacket is almost done and the sleeves work for me so I don't need it.  But that was very, very kind of you to offer.  And to everyone who offered a solution, thank you for caring enough to share your thoughts. Please do not feel that you need to apologize or add a disclaimer when you offer your opinion.  I have no problems with you leaving your comment/opinion as long as its done respectfully...and since all of you were so much more wowed by the jacket than I was, I don't think that was an issue!


I have three days off this weekend because Dr. Martin Luther King's Birthday is celebrated on Monday.  I have no real plans for the weekend...so you know where I'll be...SEWING!  I want to work on the basics, the skirt, the lined pair of pants and the dress from the gray tropical wool.  If I'm really industrious maybe I can get the white shirt or the cardigan made too.  We'll see.


Finally, I love crime dramas on TV.  Give me a Law & Order (any of the spinoffs or the original), CSI Miami, The Closer or Criminal Minds marathon and I can happily sew away for hours...especially if I've laid in a supply of Mountain Dew to sip on while I watch and sew! So this year for Christmas, my daughters all gave me Amazon gift cards which I applied to the purchase of this:




It showed up this evening and now I don't want to go to work tomorrow.  I want to sit in the sewing cave, slip in disc after disc and watch and sew.  Seriously people, I have issues!  *LOL*


...as always, more later!





23 comments:

  1. I love the in-progress jacket and I know the collection will come together beautifully for you. I too love the crime shows and now can inform My Guy that I am not the only one out there who is always willing to watch a repeat of an episode that I've seen three times ( at least) before. You have to love it to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy to have issues with that kind of thing... mine are mysteries...i.e. Castle, Rosemary & Thyme, etc... so besides watching those and ahem, Drop Dead Diva on netfliks... I understand totally... actually as long as I've got something to watch... and I can sew... it's a done deal! Enjoy your weekend... tomorrow is Thursday... one more wake-up and your almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A person after my own heart - bring on the crime series!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sewing all day long to the Criminal Minds spin-off series and Bones on Netflix--and I'm trying to figure out what to watch next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me a crime show with UK accents all around and I'm in heaven. Netflix Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mountain Dew?! That's pretty hardcore. You will be sewing up a storm!
    Scandinavian crime dramas are really popular here in the uk at the moment. They are fantastic, but reading subtitles does not fit in with sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm addicted to space - Star trek (next generation) Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Deep Space. 9 and Andromeda. Throw in some Inspector Morse, Lord of the Rings and i'm very happy! My family, not so happy!
    Love some of the Scandanavian crime shows my favorite is the Danish Unit One, but will echo what Karin said that it is hard to concentrate on something when you need to read subtitles.
    Next series i would like to get is West Wing. I'm a little bit of a telly addict!,

    So looking forward to seeing your completed collection - the jacket looks wonderful and i love how you 'rescued' it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. L&O here too and all of the spinoffs. I miss the original and I was really liking the LA version before they cancelled them. I also like any show built around a law firm/lawyers, so there's lots to choose from there too. The Firm series starts tonight so my DVR will be spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I just saw KC's comments - have you seen Law & Order: UK? It's on BBC America and just as good as the American series but with wigs. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another crime tv junkie here...
    Glad to hear you're withholding judgement on the jacket. A sweater dress would be beautiful in your knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I was the only one who watched DVD's while sewing, seriously. I will watch almost any series I can find cheap or used. I have a large collection, Six Feet Under, The Dead Zone, Midsomer Murder, Rome, The Tudors, Nip/Tuck, Gilmore Girls, The 4400 and the list goes on. I never watch movies while sewing though, strange huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading your blog. And I love what you do with fotos and fabric! So funny how much we seamstresses are alike. I used to OD every day on L&O, that is until I found Inspector Lewis. I have worn my discs thin. But I've gotten lots of sewing done too. Just finishing some insulated lunch bags for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love L&O and other crime/police procedurals. I'm also a fan of true crime shows like Wicked Attraction, Forensic files, etc. My husband bought me a tv for the sewing room this Christmas--now I have get him to set it up!

    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a fun and productive weekend sewing your coordinating outfits. I usually sew to Turner Classic Movies, love the oldies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same issues! I don't have DVDs but I bring my embroidery or hand sewing into the living room and watch The Closer or Bones reruns for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the changes you made to the jacket and clearly understand the feeling of it not being totally you. But it will definitely come together when the other pieces are completed.

    I love L&O and all the repeat episodes... of late I have been reading a legal thriller (Irreparable Harm) that has been cutting into my sewing time...lol when I should be finishing up a baby garment for my great nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yeah, long weekend is on the horizon! And for me it will be the first time in ages that I will have time to sew as much as I want.
    Woooo hoooo.

    I LOVE what you have done with that jacket, so I am glad you are moving ahead with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy sewing weekend! Law and order oh my one of my most favorite shows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL Carolyn, we are so much alike. Although I like listening to MSNBC on my iPad while I'm sewing, years ago, would you believe I'd listen to Howard Stern!! I've grown up since then. Aside from music I love listening to Joel Oesteen and occasionally Joyce Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My name is Carrie and I just recently discovered your blog and now I have to go every day to see what you have to say and what you're sewing. I too am a plus size woman. You have inspired me to not only "up my game" as far as sewing goes, but know I can make things that look great on a plus size body. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carolyn - you sew with a lot of wool. Once your garments are sewn, how do care for them? Do you dry clean? Hand wash? Some other method?

    I'd love to sew with wool, but fear I would never wear the clothes because of the care & feeding they would take to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your outfits and your sense of style. My favorite shows these days are Bones, Warehouse 13 (its fun, really!), Eureka, True Blood, and Boardwalk Empire. I really love my shows with a dose of the fantastical.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh what a lucky purchase L&O...I love when I catch a really old one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails