Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Late Summer Recap

As noted in the title, this post is late and was prompted by Diana's post, "Taking Stock of Spring/Summer Sewing". After reading her summary, I decided to go back and check my May to August totals.  Now I haven't included the three dresses from my sewcation since they really were completed in September.  I also didn't include anything that wasn't finished (McCalls 6506) or was a wadder (McCalls 6559).   However, I did take your advice and turned the ill-fitting dress into a long skirt with an elastic waist that was never blogged about. I made the change right before my vacay so that it could go into my suitcase...and it did get worn one afternoon on the ship.

So the total number of outfits that I made during that four month period was 18.  That was 11 dresses starting with The Anatomy of a Dress and ending with the two Vogue 1250s.  Three skirts - two from The Ten Yard Adventure wardrobe and one from the wadder M6559.  One pair of pants also from The Ten Yard Adventure wardrobe and three toppers - 2 cardigans and a jacket.




My output is generally better in the four months of spring/summer.  I think it's something about the longer days and the fact that I can sew as many dresses as I like. Everything I made was worn at least once this summer. Some of the Peyton dresses were worn twice. I also took the Trendy Lace Dress on the cruise with me and wore it to dinner one night.

My least favorite item would be Butterick 5211.  Probably because it was fussy to wear and I had to constantly adjust the tie belt.  The other piece that I worried about was The Anatomy of a Dress.  I had some challenges with the zipper so I was worried that I would bust it open in the middle of the day.  Boy was I glad to get home with it in one piece!  The most complimented dress was The Trendy Lace Dress.  


It was a great wear especially since it was made from my TNT dress pattern. This dress was complimented over and over again by my fellow employees as well as the visitors we had in the office that day.  It was equally complimented on the cruise, especially by one lady on the cruise who said, "I didn't think full sized women could wear such a beautiful dress".  Since she was plus-size herself and she said it with such awe in her voice, I knew she truly meant it complimentary.

As I said in my blog post, my Valentino TNT dress was the one that made me feel like my sewing had finally arrived.  It was a thrill to realize that I could handle the finer fabrics and not mess it up.


Overall, I believe my summer sewing was successful.  I used some new techniques...preservered through some sewing challenges...tried a new shape...and worked my TNT dress pattern overtime.  I hope my fall/winter sewing is as successful!

...as always more later!



21 comments:

  1. I love when you do a re-cap of the creations you have done for a period. Each garment is an inspiration.They are all stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's some inspirational sewing! Your machine must be on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are inspiring to not just larger women with your style, I love the dresses you sew and your cardigans. - I`m glad your wadder turned into success .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that your sewing has been wonderful. I'm still searching for the right lace to follow in your lace dress foot steps.
    Thank you again for sharing your work. It's a real joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very inspiring. I agree the Valentino dress is elegant, stylish, and absolutely awesome. Thank you for sharing your successes.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely collection of garments! You've made some really great outfits and as always, I am inspired by what you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a terrific collection of summer sewing. I stand in awe. If only I could achieve the amount of sewing you do. You must have the largest wardrobe! Well done, everything looks awesome and I particularly like your 'Trendy Lace Dress'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recap, you made some gorgeous garments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful array of gorgeous outfits! I am envious of your sewing productivity - something for me to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carolyn!
    This is Kaitlin from the Fabric Mart blog. We love what you are sewing and would like you to feature you on our blog! Please email us at fabricmartblog@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faaaaaaaaabulous - and such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - your blog is aptly named! Great sewing output!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the recap, what a wonderful line-up of pretty well made garments. As always, you inspire me to get moving with my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so prolific! I like seeing all the garments you made put together in a collage. And that lace dress should be complimented all the time. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous wardrobe! I can't believe how productive your summer was!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It never ceases to amaze me how productive you are. Loved this post. I especially love the lace dress too. And thank you for the plug, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. a wonderful productive collection you should be proud of

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, what an impact to see all the dresses together in one post. You are the undisputed Queen of the Dress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And I loved the magenta with the blue trim because it reminds me of the Erdem collection that you mentioned and I hadn't known of before!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The secret is fit-and you do a wonderful job of it! That's why big beautiful women look bad in manufactured clothing. They just make the clothes bigger and don't account for bigger hips or bust or arms. I'm wearing a purchased top right now that I am tempted to throw away because it never sits right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great summer output, Carolyn! I read your blog faithfully, and have an awareness of how much you sew--but there is quite an impact when you do these recaps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails