Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Do you remember this?

It's McCalls 6506 and this is where it stands...


Now I hate unfinished objects (UFOs) but I'm putting the leftover fabric, the uncut pattern pieces and the pattern envelope into a storage bag.  Then I'm moving it all to the side on the fabric wall.  Why do you ask?  Especially since I don't like UFOs? Well, you will eventually see (Mimi loved your comment btw!) that the pieces I just made, while constructed using linen fabric are in transitional fall colors.

Just two weeks ago, before I started vacation, I awoke at 5:30am to the sun rising.  I'm now waking to darkness...yes, the sun does rise while I'm in the shower and it's light out by the time I walk to the bus stop but autumn and the darkness is coming.  So while I'm not ready to sew wools yet, I do realize that it's time to put summer sewing away.  That's what's happened to this dress...it just can't go forward into fall...so I'm admitting it and setting it aside to wait for next spring.

Now that's not saying that I've jumped into fall sewing with both feet...please I'm pulling hard against that right now.  Not because I love the heat of summer...but I do like the long hours of light.  I do like the fact that I can wear dresses and skirts without concerns and I'm honestly just not looking forward to the cold.

Realistically change of the seasons is coming...so it's time to move forward with it. I have one more dress I'd like to make from a wool/linen/silk blend and then I've planned another wardrobe that I'd like to start sewing now and through to the end of the year. I've had some success with wardrobes this year, first the "Lavender & Gray Skies" one and then "The Ten Yard Adventure."  I'm excited about this new one which is a little more involved with quite a few more pieces. I'm sure I'll still be sewing it come January but once again this wardrobe will fill some gaps in my wardrobe and will encompass several of the fall trends.

So my McCalls 6506 dress will sit and wait for the spring to come when I'll get back to it. Right now, I'm moving forward not back...

...as always more later!


15 comments:

  1. I'm testing a Simplicity dress pattern in a cotton, and then I'm switching to a light wool crepe of which I have eleven yards (Fabric Mart special!) Here in San Diego we have a long, warm fall, but we will eventually get days where I can wear light wools. And I love to sew on wool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is beautiful. And it will be happily awaiting you come spring. :)

    It's been fall here all summer, so I get it! It's been heavy coat and scarves for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a perfectly reasonable, logical concept - sew for the season you're about to enter.

    I get it, really I do....and I still manage to be sewing something for the tail end of the season we were just in.

    Of course, as shams said, it's been fall for 3 or 4 months already....I do keep hoping for a lovely, summer-like October though, so maybe I'll just keep sewing the lightweight things I've been working on.... because I can dream of warm weather, and if I can't actually experience it, then I can sew for it. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine you having any gaps in your wardrobe! I understand that it is time to move on seasonally but don't you just love sewing linen? I think it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it is any consolation, the long-range weather forecase is for a mild fall, and a warmer than normal winter for us on the east coast. I vote for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the light thing; in Alaska we are loosing 5 minutes plus a day. It is also a little cooler here, I can count on 1 hand the number of days above 70F for the entire summer. Anyway I have been sewing for Fall and Winter. Good thing I love wool LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, This is going to be off the topic completely and I apologize for that. I began reading your blog, starting at the beginning a couple of weeks ago. I so admire you and your sewing, your very zest for life and your confidence in yourself. You are always gorgeous in your outfits and so put together. I wish I was like that. Today, I reached August 27, 2010. I've been crying every since I read the comments. I knew our nation was very divided politically, but I truly had no idea how divided we are. I'm an admirer of Glen Beck. I'm a Tea Party member and I've wondered why everyone isn't. Contrary to how we are portrayed in the media we aren't racists. I don't hate Obama or Pelosi or Reed. I don't agree with their politics, but I don't hate them. What I just read by my fellow sewists absolutely shocked me. Almost no one defended us. I felt hated. I've read a number of their blogs, just as I'm reading yours and I felt like I knew them. But now I feel lost and my heart is breaking for my nation and my children and grandchildren.

    I don't know if I can read sewing blogs anymore. I just feel totally broken.
    Carolyn, please forgive me. I know this is totally inappropriate and I am so sorry, but I just felt I needed to share how I am feeling.
    Phyllis Hughes,pahughes76@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, at least you will have a head start in the spring! Sounds like a perfect plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Lynneb...head starts are always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm feeling the same way, I'm planning on starting on a jacket, let's go forward not back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gaps in your wardrobe, really?! Can't wait to see you in your lace dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just call it a work in progress-- not a ufo! I can't wait for fall. Unfortunately where I live, it will be stinkin' hot until the end of October. I start dreaming of tights and boots way too early.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, I comment where I want to you savvy woman. ;) Wasn't his speech awesome last night??

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm denying the approach of cold, but accepting the approach of autumn. The result of these two conflicting positions is that I just bought a bunch of linen and a little silk  in autumn-compatible colors (amber and pumpkin and brown and beige and a rich if grassy green) and will be making tops. This appears to be as sensible as I'm going to get; I just can't face wool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good idea to save the dress until spring. Sigh...if there was a way to trade weather with you for the autumn/winter, I'd do it :-) I think I'd be up for the adventure at least once, LOL. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails