Sunday, September 09, 2012

Redemption - The Vogue 8799 Dress is Done!

Here is the finished dress...


I'm starting with a picture first because I can't believe the danged thing is done and wearable.  Seriously, it was touch and go there for more than a few minutes but once I start hand stitching piping in, I've got to make it work.  So first some stats...

Fabric ~
100% linen from Mood.com

Notions ~
22" invisible zipper
navy blue piping purchased from Daytona Trimmings
navy blue rayon hem tape

Construction ~
First there is ALOT of hand-stitching in this dress.  When I started the dress my first thought was that it was a great project for my sewcation because to make it right, I needed time.  Now I realize that it's great that I made it that week because otherwise it would have never been finished! *LOL*

Let's start with the piping...first the way I apply piping can be found in my posts here and here.  Originally I was only going to add piping to the side inserts but after I enlarged the center front panel, there seemed to be an expanse of  fabric stretching across the front of me...so I took the time and hand basted more piping into the center front panel's side seams before sewing the panel back into the dress.


Now we know I had some serious fit difficulties because I can't keep ish to myself and I had to share my discouragement.  I'm sure that a muslin would have highlighted the issues I had before I laid the scissors to my fabric.  However, I can assure you that if I had to make a muslin first, I wouldn't have a finished dress now.  I'm just not that girl.  BUT, I won't discount the value of a muslin especially if you have several fit issues.  

Second, some of my fit issues were definitely operator error.  I probably should have added 5/8" allowances to more than just the side pieces.  I may have inadvertently taken away some space by just laying the pieces on top of each other and assuming that they would work.

After removing and re-cutting the center front and center back pieces, then reinserting the invisible zipper, I was too through.  So the thought of trying to come up with a lining for this dress was just more than I could handle especially since I'd changed the dress pieces so much.  Talk about killing my mojo...I just wasn't going to allow that to happen!  I will wear a slip with it and deal with the wrinkling!

Adding width to the center back piece

A few additional notes...
  • I was definitely free styling because I never pulled the entire dress apart.  I only pulled out the problem areas and reworked them.
  • I ended up taking in the side seams several times.  5/8" the first time and then an additional inch when I realized that the dress' skirt had more of an a-line shape than I wanted.
  • To make the neckline fit, I cheated. At the seam lines on both sides of the neckline, I placed the piping over an additional 5/8" and sewed a larger seam.  This eliminated the extra pucker in the front.  Now if I had made a muslin, I could have simply sliced and tucked that extra out of the center front piece.
  • I cut 2.5" from the hemline before I turned up a one inch hem allowance. I didn't need the two inches I added in at the beginning.
  • The sleeves were cut on the bias to give them even more stretch.  I'm always afraid that I'm going to end up with really tight fitting sleeves so this is my trick...to always cut the sleeves on the bias.
  • It is my least favorite of the three dresses I made during the sewcation.  It was a lot of work for so-so results in my opinion and this pattern won't be used again for the dress, though I do still want to try the jacket.

Okay, a few more pics...

Piping at the sleeve hem, neckline and side seams

Front view - showing piping detail

Back view - showing piping detail


I'm so thankful that the dress did work out in the end, even if it does have more flare in the skirt than the original dress.  I'm a little sad that I didn't have enough fabric for the jacket but after the drama of the dress, I know that I wouldn't have sewn it during the sewing vacay anyway. 

Also, I've been sick as a dog this past week...I even missed a day of work due to this horrible cold that I've managed to pick up from somewhere...so that's why it's taken a minute to get these pictures not only taken but blogged about.  The other two dresses will show up this week since I took pictures of all of them at once.

...as always more later!



44 comments:

  1. I really like the combination of the neckline shape and the piping on the seams,I think it turned out very well. (But I didn't have the frustration of making it!) I hope the magic closet can do it's work & you enjoy wearing it. The colour is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I really didn't think the odds were in your favor of pulling this off but you definitely did. What a great color on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you smiling again. The purple linen glows on you and the navy blue piping is a beautiful framing device. It looks like a dress to go dancing in. What an amazing accomplishment and an example of how to work through discouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry this one gave you so much trouble. It turned out great. Agree with Carol that the colors are very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress looks amazing on you and I'm so glad you were able to pull it off after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great save Carolyn. It's a great transition dress. I've been sick with that same cold virus thing too and it hasn't been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colour of the linen is so divine and the piping details add alot of interest . You did an amazing job of saving this dress -I hope it has a special place in your wardrobe and that you get lots of comments at work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really good on you Carolyn. I love the colour and the piping really makes it special. Congratulations on conquering the beast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done a great job with the piping and making it work for you. I am sure that after you have had a "rest" from the dress you will like it more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You deserve a medal for this save! And I just love it! I have a similar project going in the sense that I have to take out an invisible zipper and make a new bodice, but at least it is a simple design.

    I'd love to sew this dress, too, but I see all the trouble I'd have with the fitting, so I am not sure if I have the brass to go there.

    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hard work paid off, the dress is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! It really turned out spectacular-- the piping really highlights the unusual seaming. Great job!

    Hope you feel better soon-- it's no fun being sick. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks amazing your hard work paid off. Sorry for all the frustration but glad you worked through it.

    Also hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress looks great. The piping and lines of the dress are very flattering. You came out with another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please take another look at the pictures of you in this dress. It. Is. Fabulous! The piping gives you a real hourglass figure.

    I've been working on a dress for an evening wedding this coming weekend, while devoting many hours to volunteering with OFA, and I'm further away from a wearable dress today than I was last weekend after an all-nighter working on it. You have my admiration (cute shoes, too!).

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  16. loooove that piping and that royal linen hue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you persevered because the dress looks great! I really love the contrast piping and it is a great neckline. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't post often, but have followed your blog for several years...I am popping up out of lurkdom to say you look seriously fabulous in this dress. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that neckline on you and the color is great on you also. I think the style is worth working again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great colour choices. I love this dress. You definitely are great at piping details.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The neckline is lovely and the colour is gorgeous. Well done, you look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great! All of your work has totally paid off in this dress. The piping looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carolyn, I'd likt to join the others in saying that your dress is fabulous and suits you very well!!! That piping detail is gorgeous and the color is a hit! I think All the work you've put inis totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a pain! The piping does make the dress though. And it does look nice on you. Perhaps you will like it more, when you can forget the pain of making it?!
    Sorry to hear that you have a nasty cold, I wish you better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this really came out looking very lovely! the piping around the bodice does look tricky; it was so worth it though because it gives the dress such a wonderful face framing effect :) The whole thing looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Honestly, the style and color is beautiful on you! The fabric...the way it drapes and the piping makes it look like a dress from an expensive boutique.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You would never know you had so much trouble with this dress, I agree the piping makes it and I can see why you didn't want to give up on it after all that work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's beautiful Carolyn! The piping is so pretty and makes this dress extra special. I like the flare in the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is one beautiful dress! I love the colour on you but I think that neckline is absolutely stunning on you. (I love the sleeves too and the piping)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would probably not have noticed this pattern without seeing your version!Its lovely,of course that color is a favorite of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm with everyone else - you look AMAZING. The piping detail really makes it. What a gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I know everyone has already said this, but this really is lovely. So glad you persevered. The combination of colours is beautiful too.
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, I have to say...IT IS A WINNER! You may have taken the long way to get there, but definately a winner! The contrast piping is so figure flattering and the color is just fabulous on you. All the compliments you are going to get wearing it are gonna push the construction drama to the background.

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, that piping makes such a flattering line- I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The dress is just enchanting! Looks great on you. I love the piping. Glad you stuck with it. The linen drapes beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  36. That color looks great on you and you did a fabulous job with the piping.

    You are not alone, I am still trying to get over a cold that seem to have popped up out of nowhere last week. Finally the hacking cough has subsided, but now dealing with a sinus headache..uggh. Feel Better.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks terrific on you and I'm glad you decided to make it work. I love the colors and the piping. Beautiful.

    ~Sewjourner

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love it, beautiful neckline really flatters you. And excellent detail work.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You have such a great eye for colour, I would never have thought of navy and a deep purple together, but you look smashing in this dress. So glad you got sick after your sewing vacation (although not getting sick would be better of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  40. totally a great color on you. Love the piping. Glad you persevered!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This turned out amazing! Great color choice, love the piping, super flattering. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That piping looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Cutting sleeves on the bias is a GENIUS idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails