Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Print Blocking

Everyone knows that color blocking has been very popular for several seasons. Lately in my travels through designer sites, I've noticed this trend that I'm calling "Print Blocking."  Here are some examples...

...from Erdem's Pre-Fall 2013 Collection...


This from Calvin Klein that I found on MyHabit.com...



...and finally this new Vogue 1336 from Vogue Patterns 
(Which are on sale until Friday!)



Of course this meant some scrounging around in my fabric collection to see if I had some comparable fabrics.  This combo features a brown/purple print ponte knit from Mood with a brown ponte knit from the collection.  Beautiforius, right Marcy! ;)



I had the red ponte knit in my collection that is left over from making The Macy's Dress. I'm combining it with a new purchase that I'd seen online and remembered as soon as I saw the Calvin Klein dress.  So you know I bought two yards with a quickness and a hurry to make my version of the CK dress.




My excitement for these dresses have bumped the DL jacket & dress.  I will work on these dresses this weekend from TNT dress patterns.  The CK dress will be made using my TNT dress pattern with a few changes made to the pattern. The Erdem interpretation will be made using Butterick 5679.  I mean it's SuperBowl weekend, no one will be around to do things with so I will have the weekend to myself to sew, sew, sew!

These will be palette cleansers to help renew my sewing aura that was badly damaged and inflicted with so much pain from the last jacket make. I need a little fashion forward dress sewing to restore my sewing faith! *LOL*  

I know I'm changing my mind about the sewing order of my next couple of garments but it's "My Prerogative!"



...as always more later!



17 comments:

  1. This is an interesting trend. I like the fabric choices,you've made, especially the red with the print. I had to get up and dance to "My Prerogative". Thanks for the pattern sale tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janome-jammin with Bobby Brown! lol


    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love new trends, and especially how you interpret them in your sewing - can't wait to see this next one...J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though those Erdem models look a bit strange, their outfits are gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous fabrics, Carolyn. I feel 2 more winners are coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing better than reading a fine sewing blog and jammin to great music, thank you Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a yard of printed silk that I purchased with the intention of making a shell, but it will be so much prettier as a dress blocked with solid black. Moving it up on the "To Do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. didn't they kick someone off Project runway for do this a few years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great inspiration pieces and I know your versions will rock it! g

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Yes, I agree with Bobby Brown... on that point, only! Print blocking can be great,, when done well! It is something I never thought to do... I should experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just ordered Vogue 1336 so I could use up some scraps and play with color blocking without having to draft and redraft. I'm kind of excited (& the scraps are too large to throw and taking up ~valuable stash space~ Ack! Looking forward to your renditions

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the song - and, the looks of the pattern blocking.... I think I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This trend looks so fresh and new - I love it. Can't wait to see your interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl, I KNEW you would be all over that Vogue pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think my head just exploded. Pattern blocking! What a cool idea. We can hardly keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see these jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I mean, I can't wait to see these dresses!!! Still thinking about your jacket.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails