Instead of being annoyed about the amount of time it's taken, I've quite enjoyed the journey. Probably because I've added so many "details" to a simple silhouette. As I mentioned before this will be my sixth version of the dress and this time around I added even more details...
There is piping added to the neckline and armholes.
Piping that I made myself.
A lining with a lace hem
Piping at the dresses' hemline
...but after pulling the piping off the neckline and letting the dress sit for a minute, I decided that my original idea for this dress worked just fine and I should go with that. However, I did decide to add piping to the hemline.
Piping at the hemline ~
Since the piping is an integral part of the dress, I decided to extend it to the hemline. Here in pictures is how I did that...
First I measured up an inch and a half at the hemline, pressed it flat and then cut it off the hemline.
Then I serged the cut edge because
this fabric ravels like the dickens!
I added rayon seam binding
to the bottom edge of the band.
Pressed the band flat and folded
the seam binding over then pressed flat
Serged the cut edge of the dress and pressed flat
Handstitched the remaining piping
to the hem of the dress.
Pinned the band to the piped
hem and stitched down
Topstitched 1/4" from the piped edge
on the front of the dress
Inside edge showing hem tape which
was hand stitched to the dress
Finished hem edge pressed flat
Other thoughts on the dress ~
- The interesting thing about this dress is that it fits a little tighter than it's predecessors. I know that I added a few inches to the brown & orange tweed version, however, all of the other renditions have been made straight from the TNT pattern. I'm thinking it's the fabric I chose for this one.
- Other than that my only concern about this one, is that I will need to be careful with this fabric. While a woven fabric without an apparent loose weave, there is still a delicateness to the fibers, which raveled like crazy during the construction process. After handling it for the last month, I'm concerned that too much rubbing on the fabric will cause piling. I will keep this in mind when wearing the dress. I will also have to make sure that there isn't too much stress on the seams due to the fabric's tendency to ravel.
- This is a spring/early fall dress because of the weight of the fabric and lining. Once the temps start to rise, I will need to put this one in the back of the closet. I will get at least one wearing out of it before summer comes roaring in and that's fine. It will be nice to look forward to wearing this in the fall.
Some stats ~
Butterick 5147 - now discontinued and out of stock on Butterick's website.
A linen brocade purchased from Emmaonesock
Piping made by me
22" invisible zipper
brown rayon bemberg lining
linen bias binding
1" brown lace
Some more photos of the dress ~
I will probably make more renditions of this pattern in the future because it works so well for my day job. Presently though, there are no new ideas for it on the horizon. But, if you have this dress pattern in your collection, I highly recommend that you take it out and use it, it makes a great dress.
...as always more later!