Some stats ~
Black ponte knit from Mood Fabrics
Polka dot cotton/silk from the collection
*Butterick 5760 for the cardigan
*TNT pattern for the straight skirt.
*I would recommend McCalls 3830 if you don't already have a straight skirt pattern.
*Buttons from Sawyer Brook Fabrics
*Loose small gray plastic pearls from Daytona Trimmings
*Black Rayon Seam Binding
*Strips of black ltwt. fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply
All of these items came from the workroom (what I'm now calling my sewing cave) except for the black ponte which was a recent purchase from Mood's NYC store.
Cardigan Jacket details...
- The Jacket is unlined.
- The seams are serged finished. I was going for complete not couture.
- I topstitched the center back seam and the shoulder seams. The jacket front and sleeve hems are top stitched using a twin needle.
- I thought about adding pockets to the jacket front and decided against it.
I consider buttons to be like jewelry on the front of a garment. I wanted a plain black button for the front with a little pizzazz. The button needed to not only work with the jacket but to also work with anything I chose to wear under it.
I started with these buttons...
...and added some gray plastic pearls that were in the notion stash.
I love how the finished buttons look.
The skirt is a lined straight skirt with a back vent instead of a slit.
Silk cotton polka dot lining
Vent flipped back to show lining
Back view with vent closed
I started a Sewing Workshop Mission Top made with the lining fabric to go with the suit. I've used this idea before with another black suit and it worked so well that I thought I would give it another go. The top is not done so I will finish it during my short vacay later this week to wear with the suit at another time.
However, when I wear this to work tomorrow, I will wear it with the white t-shirt that I used for the pictures...
It was a simple sew. Hey, it always is when I use TNT patterns...just a little time consuming. Another black suit that will work for several seasons has been added to my work wardrobe, just what I needed.
Next up is the prom dress that I'm making for my niece. It's my Mood project for June and I've already started construction on the dress using Butterick 4343.
...as always more later!