It rained yesterday...all day. Noah's Ark epic kinda rain...all day and into the wee hours of this morning.
I had to work late and was extremely worried that I wouldn't be able to get out of New York City because of the epic Noah's Ark type rain. No where in my thinking did I worry about the sewing workroom nestled in the basement of my home. I mean I just had the plumber in to talk about adding a battery operated sump pump to the sump pump that's already in place. He looked at the present sump pump and declared that it was fine.
So why did I hear a beep from said workroom after midnight when I was in the kitchen getting one last glass of the nectar of the gods...Mountain Dew. I go to the steps turn on the light, hoping & praying that I wouldn't see water...and I didn't. With a sign of relief, I head downstairs to see what was beeping and then I see it. Yeap, one of the few paper boxes on the floor has a 2" water line.
Dayum, the Noah's Ark epic rain had infiltrated the workroom. So I go into the storage space where my furnace and hot water heater are located and the sump pump is full of water, as well as, water covering the floor. I CAN NOT figure out why it isn't working...lean over to make sure it's plugged in. Dayum, Dayum and double dayum...the plug is out slightly...push it in and the sump pump roars to life.
Luckily I made it downstairs before there was any serious damage done to the fabric collection or even a lot of water in the workroom. Instead it took two hours to get the water mopped up and items removed. Today started off with a trip to Lowes to get a wet/dry vac. Then I spent time lifting everything rubber and wiping the water off the bottom of it.
You know I've called the plumber back and scheduled the installation of the battery operated sump pump...*sigh* Yes, possible catastrophe averted but if I had any urge to sew today, its gone now. I'll be spending the rest of the evening mopping up the last of the water that's hidden under every plastic bin on the floor, washing & drying and rehanging the covers for the fabric collection and washing & drying the couple of pieces of fabric that were in the paper boxes.
...as always more later!