Then I got downstairs and I decided to listen to the wise words of wisdom that had been offered in the comments section on a previous post. It was time to let the last of the fabric sit and get the room in shape so that I could sew. That meant that I needed to clean the room and pick some fabric to start working on...so that's what I did.
The room is finished for now and there were a few things that I did differently for this version of it.
I added a plastic thin sheeting to the bottoms of the lower shelves, just in case there is water again. Now of course, if the room floods this won't work but it is preventive for a little water in the room. I bought these sheets from Quill.com and then cut them down to fit the shelves.
The cutting table has been placed further back than it was originally. I started to feel a little closed in with the u-shape that I was using. This new arrangement feels more comfortable...really I don't need as much space behind the table as I do in front of it.
Moving the white cabinet to the wall with the sewing machines lightened up the room. Less fabric, more wall space gives the room an airy feel. I needed that especially after looking at so many sewing sites on the internet and Pinterest and being struck by how light they were.
It's hard to get a light feeling in a basement room when there are just two windows that are high up on the wall ~ towards the back of the room. So to get the lighter look I desired, I knew more wall space was needed, especially since my walls are painted eggshell. I added more white coverings to hide the fabric to further the light illusion.
Which brings me to the two new matching floor lamps...they are lights with three way bulbs that are 50/100/150w. I'm using the 100 watt settings on both of them. Lots of light and they match each other, as well as, coordinate with the shelving.
Then I shifted the white plastic bins and the shorter black fabric shelf. This gave me a wall of shelving that is lighter because of the white fabric liners and better organized, holding more things. I did gain more shelves for fabric by combining the two pieces.
However, since I used the top shelf to store magazines...fashion and sewing...I lost a huge amount of fabric storage. Previously there were magazines laying EVERYWHERE! That's not a problem anymore. There is more than enough space for Threads, Vogue Pattern Magazine and my Vogue Fashion Fabric Club newsletters. Also, when the pile of magazines on the side gets too high, I know it's time to send them to recycling.
A few more pics of the room from all angles, cleaned and ready to be used.
The fabric shelves...
Fabric shelf across from the computer desk
with the shower curtains open & closed
The main fabric wall with the curtains open & closed
Second black shelf moved full of fabric
with the curtains opened and closed
The white cabinet now holding my Janome 8000
with a leather tray holding little girl's patterns
You will notice there is fabric on the cutting table...well I've already started working with it. A couple of quick skirts to jump start my sewing mojo! Look for pics of them soon, as well as, a review of a new Craftsy course that I signed up for during the dark days of the sewing workroom redo.
Finally, I'm back! This is the last post on the sewing workroom that you will have to endure for awhile. Thank you for hanging in there with me as I worked my way back! I think I'm going to be happy creating in here for awhile...
...as always more later!