Monday, June 22, 2015

Closet Cull - Summer Edition

After spending most of the weekend working on painting the skirt, I still had no sewing mojo.  So after cooking dinner, I decided to try a few things on for work this week. Now to be perfectly honest, I've been dreading this...heading into my closet and looking closely at what's residing there. I've definitely been putting it off because of the weight loss and the job change.

However, it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Yes, I did end up with a huge carpenter size garbage bag full of things to be donated, but I also found my old business casual wardrobe stuffed way in the back of the closet.  Things I shared here years ago!

Things like this:

This skirt was blogged about here.

This skirt was in the same post above.

...and this skirt was in this blog post.

All of these skirts were made in 2006, back when I worked in a large financial institution and the dress code was business casual. I wore a skirt and a twinset or a skirt, tank top and cardigan in the summertime...occasionally I wore a dress but not often. My picture taking skills left much to be desired...hahahaha!

After finding these pieces and adding some cardigans from the collection to them, I felt like I'd found myself again. First off they all fit again, thank goodness! Why I held onto them so long I have no idea, since I'm usually cleaning things out with a quickness, but I'm glad I did! 

Second, they will work in my new environment without making me stand out. Even though I received great advice that it's okay to stand out...I'd rather look like I'm part of the team.  As it is I'm still going to be a little more "dressed" than some of my fellow employees, but I won't be "overdressed."


The title of this post is "Closet Cull" so to keep it on track, I tried on every summer dress that was left in the closet.  Then I set up three piles ~ keep, donate, will be fixed. I ended up with about 25 more dresses being added to the donate pile. A few have been designated fixable...some lay on my cutting table and some are in the closet waiting their turn.

Originally I thought I would list all of the dresses that are going away but it's just too much!  Suffice it to say that almost every summer dress that I've made in the last 3-4 years, no longer resides in my closet. I've also decided that the yellow dress featured in my last Closet Cull post is not worth saving. It was donated as was this one ~ which is one of my favorite makes:


As I fix dresses, I will share them with you since this is a much smaller list. 

It was interesting that as I touched each one of the dresses to be given away, I could remember the inspiration, buying the fabric, and the hours spent constructing each garment. To say that this is a milestone in my life both creatively and professionally is an understatement.

I wrote this blog post in May 2013 about my wardrobe. I stumbled upon it when I was looking for pics for this post. So much of what I wrote is still true regarding my feelings on my wardrobe...so much so that I wonder how interesting my blog posts are going to be now.  I guess we'll see...

...as always more later!


18 comments:

  1. I love that you are finding yourself in how to dress at the new job. I love that you have a ready wardrobe that you already made that fits again. I love the fun skirts with a twin set - it's a great look! Glad you kept all of those. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your new wardrobe was already there just waiting for you to see it in different light. Great news. I really like the separates on you, they look fun and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone who could really use some smart looking clothing who cannot find it in their size is going to pounce on your passed-alongs, and thank their lucky stars you are such a fine seamstress.

    For them, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand. Each garment reflects your mindset at the time, your budget, your skill level and your lifestyle.

    RTW garments can never quite achieve this kind of personal attachment but I am pleased that you've got good wear out of your creations. Look forward to seeing the refashions you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolyn! I hang on to clothes as well and often alter or remake them at a later date. In particular, your third skirt with the the geometric print is lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think culling is a good idea, even though you refashion & make them smaller , your mind will say "same dress"but I know how you feel about things you truly love, we tend to love handmade than retail, more because of the time & love that go into them, I have a few things my mind is trying to get me to cut apart & make smallerlol maybe a few refashions!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it would break my heart to give away all those gorgeous dresses after spending so much time and putting so much love into each one!! I have a hard time giving away my dresses and tend to hang on to them even knowing I won't wear them again. I guess it's because I know no one will appreciate all the time spent on them!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - that was definitely part of my struggle in the beginning! The details I've added to my dresses just isn't found on RTW these days. But, they don't fit and are taking up valuable closet space AND they don't fit in my current work environment. A double whammy...i am sad to see them leave but at least I have pretty pictures of them documented here!

      Delete
  8. I especially love that geometric print skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for culling! Best of luck on your new job, and congrats on your new figure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that geometric skirt too! Very chic. Since you feel that dresses are too dressy for your new job, have you figured out your more casual wardrobe style yet? It's harder to find a really chic casual look that feels effortless like your dresses do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Nancy I haven't and this is going to be a work in progress. Though I can wear dresses to this job just not the structured tailored ones I've previously worn and sewn. It's about finding a new way to express my style.

      Delete
  11. Culling is something I don't do well. I did go through some items in my closet as I was moving fall/winter items to another room and moving the spring/summer items into the bedroom closet. When I do decide to cull, a lot goes to Goodwill. I have been known to buy some items back, not recently though.

    I am glad you found some items to keep and remake. Interesting many of us really like the geometric skirt, so do I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda that skirt is about 12 years old made from some $1 a yard fabric! Can't believe how well it's held up!

      Delete
  12. not sure if you are a light spring or a soft autumn...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm dreading and procrastinating on doing a closet cull. Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem - weight gain! Maybe next week I might consider it LOL
    You're looking great by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your progress! I have been reading Marie Kondo's book, and I agree it is hard to let go of garments where you have invested so much of yourself. However, you take forward the experience and skills you developed, Perhaps, you could consider wearing those tailored shift type dresses with the wonderful details paired with colorful flats. Still a flattering silhouette and comfortable to wear but more casual with flat shoes for your new office environment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A closet cull has been on my mind lately too. Thanks for the inspiration. I've got to get at it before school and work start again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails