Saturday, September 26, 2015

My Sewing Journey - Fall Edition

I'm finishing up the Butterick 5678 button down shirt and I was thinking about what I want to sew going into the fall season. Lots more of this shirt pattern for sure but most of my thoughts were focused on how my sewing is different this year.  Not only because of my life changes but also because I'm no longer sewing so many TNTs.

That's not to say that I haven't worked the heck out of McCalls 6559 this summer, but I think that's more because it worked and I needed clothing for my changing body. I had another maxidress pattern on the cutting table to work on, I just ran out of time since the temps are definitely starting to fall. But sewing has become challenging again...yes I'm missing a little of the creative aspect that TNTs gave me but I finally believe that's gonna come back, too.

I've said this before but last year I really was sewing on auto-pilot, totally lazy sewing. I was in a rut. I had a uniform and I made variations of it. My sewing totally reflected how unhappy I was...unhappy with my job and some of my life situations.  Sitting here finishing up the button down shirt, it really hit me, how much has changed and how much happier I am now.

Then I sewed because I needed to...I needed the release but there was no real joy in it. Now that the joy is back, I'm going to guard it and hold onto it tightly, because it's precious.  I've also issued myself a little challenge.  I've stocked the cave to the rafters and beyond...we are just not going to talk about the 25 lb Rubbermaid bin in the storage area or the 4/5 (can't remember) 25 lb Rubbermaid bins in the garage...and it's time to sew from the wealth of goodies on hand.

This is not to say that I'm not going to buy another piece, because you always need black ponte, but you will probably be subjected to more "Fabric Find" posts so that I don't buy them! *LOL* On the honest tip though, I need to save more. I've looked up and realized that I have about a dozen more years to work and I need to prepare for the day when I'm no longer working full time.  That is the freakiest thing for me to type...anyway I can sew out of the cave for years.

Also, I'm not saying that I won't be going down the TNT hole again because I LOVE a good TNT pattern.  However, I am going to branch out and sew a lot of different garments because the restrictions have vanished. I'm not living in that world anymore and I'm finally casting them off to determine what I want to wear and sew now.

Just needed to say that in six long assed paragraphs! *LOL*  And because this can't be a totally pictureless post...here is a pic of Miss Sammy at 20 months wearing a couple of the dresses I made last spring. She's grown a little so her mother paired them with tops, leggings and chucks...seriously how cute is she in this pic?!!!

Please forgive the quality of the pic, it was taken on my daughter's cellphone and enlarged. Here is a pic of her from the original photo shoot proving that nothing remains the same in life! Children are definitely the yardstick to show that!


Next up is my review of Butterick 5678 (those numbers are chronological!) which can I state again that I loved sewing! If you have it in your pattern stash I highly recommend that you get it out and sew it up!

...as always more later!


18 comments:

  1. Its good to hear that you are feeling happier. And even better to hear that you are enjoying your sewing more. And I can't believe Miss Sammy has grown that much is what seams a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read how much happier you are. Interesting that your sewing choices match your state of mind I had never thought about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that you have your joy back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Looking forward to what you create in this new era!😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you're so enthused about your sewing again! Look forward to seeing the completed shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear that your life is in a better place. Your granddaughter is getting so big, time does fly! I'm digging through my patterns right now to see if I have this Butterick pattern......I have three things on the cutting table right now, what's another one added? Now when I get in there to sew, I just pick up the one that moves me! Can't wait to see your shirt........!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your happiness shines thru -happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sewing should bring you joy or contentment. I hear you about the stash. My fabric buying has slowed way down this year. It's nice to have the freedom to start a project and have everything on hand. DGD is getting big, it is amazing how fast they grow. Enjoy the time in your sewing cave. I'm off to look at patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sammy is so cute. Glad your love of sewing is beginning to rise again. I so enjoy your posts, pics and just plain sewing talk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's so danged adorable. :)

    I love that you're having the opportunity to look at sewing anew! And yes you will get to to shop that marvelous stash and have way more fun with your sewing!

    Can't wait to see all the goodness that comes out of the cave this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that you are happy again. A job you hate really saps the life out of you. That's a lot of fabric girl! At least you know that when you do retire you can keep sewing, forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your sewing cave, and super glad you are finding your sewing joy again. Miss Sammy is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's back :) And I'm sure your creativity factor will be better than ever!
    That precious little munchkin looks so much like her grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you are feeling better about things and that your joy of sewing is back. I know we're in for lots of eye candy from you in the next while and look forward to it, Speaking of eye candy. That little munchkin of yours is sooooo CUTE !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, she's sooooo cute!! Yes, the babies can tell us just how fast "we're" aging, LOL!!! Happy you're finding your "sew jo" and mine just entered the room too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails