Sunday, April 24, 2016

Photo Shoot Outtakes & A Few Other Things

My daughter is still taking my pictures which means that she comes with assistants.  Last weekend she arrived with only the girls.  The boys stayed with their father.  So we had fewer assistants than normal and the girls behave differently without their big brother.

That being said at times they had me rolling with laughter because they were mimicing me and their Mother, posing, giving each other direction on how to stand and finally running, running and more running.

Here are the pictures of the girls ~

Both of them posing like Nana!

Samantha getting her groove on!

Aleena laughing & playing

Ready...Set...Go!

Ummmmm girls you gotta move so your Mama can take Nana's picture!

Nana - look at me pose too!

I am truly blessed to have grandchildren and a daughter who willingly adjusts her day to come by and take pictures of my outfits. I appreciate her so much for that!

Fashion Revolution ~


Sasha from Secondo Piano contacted me last week and asked if I would be willing to participate in a post she was doing for Fashion Revolution week. I was honored to be asked because I really admire her sewing skills. As well as recognizing the need to highlight how clothing is manufactured now and how the people who make them are exploited.


She wrote the most amazing post featuring a global round up of sewists. You will recognize some of the sewists but there are many here that were new to me. So now I have a whole new list of bloggers to follow. Please check out the listing here.

Wearability Report ~

I wanted to include a "Wearability Report" in this post since new clothes, you know they got worn this past week.

First everyone's favorite the black/white ponte striped dress:
I wore this on Monday because I loved my new dress. I unglammed it a bit by wearing some black wedge slides (no cool black and white criss crossed slides), no necklace, only 2 gold bracelets and not the armload pictured above. Even my hair while down was worn with a headband and back from my face. AND STILL I looked like the school teacher surrounded by a class full of students. See it was in the 80s on Monday and quite a few of the guys showed up in shorts. Yeap, casual. 

I love my dress and it wore perfectly and was so comfortable, yet I was still overdressed. I will need to figure out a way to make it a little more casual, maybe wear it with a short black cardi and my skippys!

The vest/denim legging combo:
This was fine. It fit in my workspace and the vest was perfect. Too bad I don't own another Kantha Quilt to turn out a few more pieces...

Midi Skirt & Denim Jacket:
I wore the midi skirt with a RTW white tank, orange cardi and black slide on wedges. It was a hit. It was comfortable and fit the office dress code. I wore the denim jacket as a topper only - like to the bus stop only. Friday ended up being warmer than I thought.

Lessons learned ~
I have several more dresses I want to make. For them I will use some of the denim and chambray I've collected, as well as, the printed linens in the collection.  All of these should work well.

I like dressing up and I need to tamp this down just a tinge more and remember that I can wear anything however I'm feeling that morning. It can be expressed in my outfit, no matter how casual.

There is hope here for my spring wardrobe especially when I mix it in with the pieces I made for last summer.

Lastly, I did sew this weekend so more garments coming soon to the blog!

...as always more later!

24 comments:

  1. Your granddaughters are gorgeous and your daughter takes wonder pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely assistants you have! I have also been trying to "dress down" the dresses I've been making lately. I got some Tom's canvas flats, and they do the trick. They are comfortable and very on trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, Carolyn, and there is no need to worry about liking to dress up. You could wear a floral (or another print) cardigan with the black and white striped dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, cute grand-daughters! Thanks for the info on the Fashion Revolution round-up... so many reasons to sew for ourselves! And I learned about a few new to me bloggers. Agree with Ute / Germany that "sewing is an never ending source for learning." I love learning too. I just picked up Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire B. Shaeffer from the library yesterday. Can't wait to sit down and get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you again Carolyn for taking part in my little round-up and thank you for the shout-out :) Your grand-daughters are cute as buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sasha - your round up of sewing bloggers/artists was amazing! So honored to be included!

      Delete
  6. fun post with the out-takes of the girls. I can't believe how big they are getting! It happens overnight! Will be waiting to see what you made this weekend - the floral linens you pulled were amazing! I think I have a piece of one of them. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably nothing is coming out of the sewing machine. There is a lot of fabric prep going on however.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful granddaughters! They will mimic mom and grandma as young ladies tend to do. I live in a small community where jeans and athletic shoes are the accepted norm. If you wear a skirt, dress, or dress pants (other than Sunday morning), people will ask why are you dressed up? I grew up wearing skirts, dresses, and regular shoes. I've followed your blog over the years and as a 'girly-girl', I can understand your struggle in finding an 'office casual' standard for yourself, especially when a dress or skirt for most people means 'dressed up/overdressed'. You are not a 'blend in' type of woman. Your grace, elegance and beauty will always stand out--even in denim. Many Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing how you style your outfits ! I live a very casual lifestyle but I'm always trying to dress it up more . You have such great style & adorable granddaughters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are adorable photos of the grand girls! Reading about your attempts to dress up casual is so meaningful to me. I live in an area of casual dressing, but like to dress up, too. So, what's a girl to do? Well, reading Carolyn's blog is a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grand daughters are gorgeous and they are having such as great time.

    Wow your office is casual, but then my boss comes in shorts most of the time but I just can't get that casual. Also there are only 3 of us in the office which makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your granddaughter's are too cute and I love the outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to see your granddaughters and you. They are very lucky to have you around (something I missed out on).

    Maybe you are just the person at the office who dresses like a grown up. That's a pretty good person to be, especially if it's you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandaughters are darling and I love the shot of your tiny assistant admiring the striped dress.

    When I first started working at my current job as much as I tried to tone it down, I was also asked, "why are you so dressed up?" We are not talking fancy here but my co workers are in jeans and tees a lot of the time. My answer was and is "because it's what I do so you'll have to get used to it." I dress very casually for work but always try to have a bit of polish going on. After a while its accepted and you are even looked upon as, their words, "fashion designer", "always so stylish"..etc. They respect my way of dressing and I respect theirs and it became a non issue over the first few months. Now they look forward to the latest creation and I am sure it is the same for you. Don't compromise yourself if the way you dress makes you feel comfy and happy. That is unless you need to be in jeans to maybe climb trees or go down under the streets! LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny - I did make that comment to several people who suggested I was really dressed up. I'm always amazed at the "feelings" a coworker better dressed evokes from their fellow coworkers.

      Delete
  14. I, too, "overdress" compared to my colleagues but I just can't bring myself to wear jeans to work. I have decided to wear what I'm comfortable wearing because then I feel better when I'm there. My go to are knit maxis or trousers and a blouse--everyone else is in jeans or khakis. I hope you're able to find your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will continue to sew dresses. I just think that I can come down one more step. I wore jeans during the winter cause it was so dayum cold and after awhile it was comforting to get up in the morning and throw them on in the horrible weather. But I'm not really a pants person in the warmer weather...I have a few more ideas for new dresses that I'm pretty excited about that won't seem so far away dress-wise from my co-workers! However, I'm still going to wear that ponte dress because I really love it!

      Delete
  15. Your granddaughters are precious! My first granddaughter was just born 5 weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to when she comes to play with fabric with me. Your daughter takes great pictures, and having the little girls around must make your photo shoots a great deal of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, shorts? That's pretty casual. Barely a step up from pajamas, IMO. Still, they wear what's comfy and so can you. End of story. I mean, it's not like you're in a 3 piece suit with pumps and hose. Even with those (totally fabulous) criss cross slides, it's a casual outfit. My office is almost that casual. Guys wear jeans or dockers, and either a tshirt or a button shirt. Girls aren't much different except we've got skirts and leggings to add to the mix. I tend to be the "you" in my office. I coordinate outfits, wear cool shoes, accessorize with scarves, bangles, necklaces earrings, all that. I love being "put together" even if it's a denim jacket from chico's with a cool pin. It just FEELS better! If I wear crappy stuff, I'm out of sorts all day. If I'm feeling stylish, I actually get more done. I feel competent and ready for action. Weird what clothes will do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your little assistants are absolutely adorable. I'm sure you treasure every crazy moment :) What a great influence you are, always looking so well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that there is such a strong family resemblance! What cuties!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails