Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The Border Print Shirt Series

Shirts are my jam. I REALLY love sewing and wearing them. They've become my new "dress" and since I run a pattern into the ground...you know I'm sewing shirts with my TNT shirt pattern.

Backstory ~
I've been on a fabric buying binge. I've been using fabric to self medicate against the cares of the world. To slow down my fabric buying tendencies, I'd set myself monthly yardage limitages. Well in the last couple of weeks, I've purchased my fabric limit for October and November. The only good thing is that the purchases have totally inspired my makes for the next couple of weeks.

It started with this Rifle & Co. border print from Stylemaker Fabrics ~


...which I'm sorry to say is no longer on the website. However, this seems to be a pretty popular print so I'm sure if you google it, you can find it on another site.

Then I bought these cotton border prints from Fabric Mart ~


...as of now two of the fabrics are still on the site here and here. The other two are sold out.

With these border prints in hand, I realized I could make some really interesting shirts by manipulating the border prints. Since I own four prints a series was born. I mean the challenge of using the border prints creatively just made me salivate.  I spent a couple of days during the weekend working on cutting out these prints. 

So why this post? It will probably be a couple of weeks before these shirts make it to the blog. By then the last of the cotton border prints will be sold out, just wanted to give you an opportunity to purchase some of these fabrics yourself. Also, to let you know what I'm sewing next.

Next completed garment up on the blog is the Simplicity 8700 jacket. I've been working on it for a couple of weeks and I think it's ready for prime time now.

...as always more later!





15 comments:

  1. oooooh, that purpley/bluey floral on white one is DIVINE! Enjoy your sewing Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those border prints are fun to work with. I have several I have neglected 😩 trying to wait for the perfect project. Skirts could take center stage with a few of my prints. Great idea. Off to to pin boarder print skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I just blew by Simplicity 8700, I am dying to see it done up by a real person.
    My curiousity is piqued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love border prints and I own several, including that purple on white above. I have yet to use any of them because, although I have many ideas, I always have decision anxiety and I haven't been brave enough to JUST DO IT yet!! lol. I can't wait to see what you come up with to inspire me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh MizzSmartyPants - use that fabric! Just cut it! There's always more...that said I'm having a blast working with these fabrics and I hope you will be inspired by the finished garments. I love border prints because they allow you to think out of the box and do some things you might not normally do. Though Imma have to throw a solid shirt or two in this season because all of my plans are for border prints, prints, stripes and checks.

      Delete
  5. Anxious to see these made up as I’ve always loved border prints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryEllen - aren't they the best! Such possibilities and each sewist sees something different in the print.

      Delete
  6. Love your style! Afraid I'm late to the party... I'm seeing references to "TNT" pattern, but I haven't been able to find it in the posts. Is it a commercial sewing pattern? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TNT means Tried and True Pattern - a pattern that's been sewn quite a few times that you no longer have to make fitting changes to it. You can just put it down on the fabric, cut it out and sew.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the links to such gorgeous border prints! Using challenging fabrics gets us out of a sewing rut while using TNT patterns that fit and flatter us. Looking forward to seeing your creations, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that floral and blue strip border fabric from Fabric Mart but couldn't envision what to do with it. Can't wait to see your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "using fabric to self medicate against the cares of the world." Yeah, me, too. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails