Sunday, October 14, 2018

The First Shirt of the Fall Season

It's October and while the month kicked off with some warm late summer type weather, we all know the dark days of winter are coming. Now while I'm no longer wearing my lightweight summer clothing, it's not yet time to bundle up in the wool and cashmere.

It is shirt wearing season though...so this is my first fall shirt.  I used the close fitting version of my TNT pattern.


Some stats ~
Fabric:
100% cotton from Zooks in Lancaster, PA

Notions:
Rick Rack from Home Sew via the collection
12 4-hole 1/2" white buttons from the collection
Light Crisp Shirting Fusible Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply

Additional Info ~
There are no new construction techniques for this make. The difference with this one is the embellishment I added. I'm a fan of rick rack and I added it to the collar, left front button placket and in the back yoke seam. I've used it on a number of garments and think it can be used in adult garments as well as children's no problem.

While I'll make various versions of this TNT pattern this fall/winter, it will be the fabric, the embellishment and trims, I use to make each one different. I'll be documenting them here because this is my diary/record of my makes. It's a great place to keep a photo of each one. Long after they've been discarded or donated, I have a record that I made it. It's one of the things I love about my blog.

Pictures ~




I added a little rick rack to the back yoke too

Conclusion ~
This is the first one of my shirts for fall/winter.  However, I do have a few other shirt patterns I'm planning on using. I'm loving this one though, due to the fabric and color. Perfect for the weather we're having now and easy to wear.

...as always more later!









27 comments:

  1. Pretty shirt and great fit! I need to schedule some practice sessions for collars and stands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faye - they're not so bad once you sew them a couple of times and learn some sure fire techniques for sewing them.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shirt, Carolyn, and love the rickrack trim. Isn't it fun to sew a TNT and just be creative and not worry about the fit? I keep telling my sewing friends that this is the way to go. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - you know TNT sewing is my favorite! Thanks for liking the shirt!

      Delete
  4. That shirt is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crisp and cheery, just what we need on gray days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - my plan is to make more of these pretty color printed shirts for fall/winter. You need a little cheer in the dreary depths of winter, y'know!

      Delete
  6. Your first Fall shirt is so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a pleasant and fun shirt! It never would have occurred to me to use rickrack as a trimming, but it really adds pizazz... the fact that it is matching the color of the fabric is a plus. As always, an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - I LOVE rick rack and think it works for people of all ages! I couldn't believe when I pulled it out of the notions stash and it matched so well - was very thankful for that!

      Delete
  8. You have sewn another incredibly pretty shirt !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shirt and the rickrack. You look smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This color is just gorgeous, perfect for you. You have won the shirt game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blak blanca - I don't know if you followed me when I worked in a very corporate job but I sewed a lot of dresses. Shirts have become my new dress. I love sewing and wearing them!

      Delete
  11. I’m sorry but I missed the pattern number for this great shirt .
    I received my Fabric Mart gift certificate fabric yesterday - thanks again Carolyn for hosting this wonderful giveaway for National Sewing Month . Thanks !,,,

    ReplyDelete
  12. MaryEllen - The pattern is Butterick 5678 and I've made a couple of changes to the pattern. It's out of print now but there are loads of shirt patterns similar to it in the pattern catalogues and in Indie land. Congrats on getting the gift certificate and happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very flattering shirt on you. You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the shirt on you - the color, the fit, how the fabric drapes - it's all good. If you don't mind, I have a question for you. How do you know which cotton fabric will make a great shirt? Quilting cottons wrinkle horribly. I'd love to make myself some cotton shirts, but have no clue which type of cotton to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented. I haven't sewed a thing for myself for years -- gained weight and haven't had the desire. However you're inspiring - you do beautiful work. I need to pay more attention and give this a try. I've made my husband wool shirts from Pendleton wool in years gone by and they came out great, so I can do it. I'm loving this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails