Monday, February 23, 2015

OOP Vogue 7632 - The Vogue Woman Pattern Alterations

This pattern has been in my pattern collection for over a decade.  



I found an online link to a Palmer/Pletsch fashion forecast featuring the pattern dated 2004. I've had it so long because I've always wanted to make the suit. It's it just a classic and wonderful outfit!

As much as I love the two pieces together, I'm just making the skirt now. Even though I started with a pattern in the size 18, 20, 22 range, I did need to make a few alterations to the pattern pieces.

To begin the alteration process, I started with my TNT straight skirt pattern pieces. I know that I may be adding a little too much space to my garment but I'd rather start big and cut back then try to figure out how to add space. Please, please don't say anything because truly I'm still trying to adjust to seeing myself as smaller rather than larger. 

However, my daughter and I did recently retake my measurements and they are larger than the measurements printed on the pattern pieces so alterations needed to be made.

The Skirt Back 
These were the easiest alterations to make since the back of the skirt is just a seamed back.  Although I did make a change to the pattern design. The pattern calls for a side zipper but I'd rather have a back invisible zipper.  So the center back piece that should be cut on a fold has been given a 5/8" seam allowance plus an additional inch for width.



The side back piece was also given another 5/8" width on the side curve and both pieces were lengthened 2" at the lengthen/shorten lines.

The Skirt Front
Due to the inset pleats in the front of the skirt, I had to be careful where I added width to these pieces. So I added to the side curve on the front side piece only. Then I measured and measured again to make sure that I had enough space to cover my body. I also lengthened these pattern pieces the same 2" that I lengthened the back pieces ~ again at the lengthen/shorten lines. This allowed me to gain the length I needed without affecting the pleat inserts.



I also added six inches to the center front and center back of the waistband.



I will cut out the fashion fabric next - a floral brocade that I got from Fabric Mart last fall. I have more than enough fabric for the skirt in case I need to recut anything but I think I should be okay.



So this is what I'm working on now. Pictures of the finished skirt to follow!







14 comments:

  1. This skirt and fabric together, wow! Waiting to see them sewn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute skirt. I can hardly wait to see it done and on you styled for pictures! It's especially helpful for me to see and read about how you alter your patterns. Thank you so much for including that part. It's exciting to see you haul out OOP's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your alterations. And I hope you enjoy the process of making stuff SMALLER! How exciting that must be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your detailed alteration tips ! They are very helpful . Can't wait to see the fabric & skirt .
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Carolyn, you always to be comfortable with your size so I was surprised when you started to lose weight and you have lost so much now. It makes quite a difference in your looks you appear so much smaller now. I'll bet you can feel how much easier it is to move now. You look great, congratulations. Think of the fun of sewing your new wardrobe for your new figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping your skirt comes together without a hiccup. Then you'll (hopefully) have enough of that gorgeous brocade to make the jacket. Can't wait to see the finished outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cursory glance at the pattern envelope made me think that the princess seam on the jacket matches the seam on the skirt. Which it doesn't, at least in the tech drawing. My brain wants them to. I'll be curious which way your brain goes when you get there; I know it will be great whichever way that goes.

    (speaking of gratitude: I am grateful for the opportunity to see your process as well as your results. Thanks' ma'am!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an exciting project, that pleated skirt with the reddish brocade. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your process. I'm looking to lose some weight, and it just seemed like too much trouble to sew for a changing figure. You inspire me to get in there and keep at it. Thank you. Btw, you look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed with how much sewing you get done and the differing styles you do

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have a couple of Vogue Woman patterns in my stash because i find them beautifully classic. Can't wait to see your skirt in that gorgeous brocade, thanks for sharing your process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pattern looks absolutely lovely. Looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so impressed with your knowledge and understanding of patterns and how they work and how to properly alter them! You make it sound so easy & straight forward! Beautiful talent! ♡

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails