So of course my next project is a dress. Hey, you knew that before I typed it! *LOL* AND of course it's from my tried 'n true (TNT) dress pattern. I made this dress back in 2008.
Lace was used to emphasize the pleat on the front of that version but this time I went with my next favoritest embellishment, piping, since I've sewn a lot of lace lately. Yes, I know I've been piping everything in sight too but I need just a touch of white for this dress and I can add it best with some piping.
I'm starting with a lime green lightweight wool crepe from Mood Fabrics...
This will be my Mood Garment for the month and the first dress in my, "Fun in the Sun Summertime Dressing" Collection. So besides discussing what I'm making, I wanted to share some of the construction details...
First up was making the pleat. I've done a pictorial version of the instructions this time but the original dress post contains concise directions also.
Added 3" to the dress center front
Full length view of the 3" added to the dress front
Marking the cutting line for the neckline
To sew the pleat, I sewed a line of stitching where the original "place on fold line" was then I pressed it down and flat.
The next sequence of pictures is how the dress was assembled.
Piping added to the neckline
White 2" lace added to the lining hemline
Close up view of the lace
Lace seam tape was added to the dress hem so it
would match the lining lace
The neckline and pleated front with white piping
Sleeve with piping detail at the hemline
Sleeve inserted into the dress
The dress took about 10 hours to make between Saturday and Sunday. I know because I clocked the time. See after watching The Great British Sewing Bee, I wanted to know how long it takes me to complete a dress with a lining. Yes, I did add a degree of difficulty by using so much piping on the dress but you know I wasn't going to have an unembellished dress. Just wasn't going to happen. *LOL*
The most time-consuming parts of the dress were the piping (of course) because I hand stitch all of the piping down before sewing it into a seam. Also, the sleeve hems needed to be faced and the hems (both dress & sleeves) were hand stitched.
I did figure out that I can cut out and sew my dress shell together in two hours ~ that's including sewing in the invisible zipper. It's adding all of that extra stuff that takes so much time...but it's all of the extra stuff that I really like and what makes the dress so special to me!
The dress featured above has been retired. I loved wearing it and it's why I wanted another one. The lime green & white shout spring to me and I'm loving the combo...so here is an outtake from the photos taken earlier this afternoon...
The dress will appear on the Mood Sewing Network on Tuesday.
...as always more later!