Sunday, November 29, 2015

Vogue 9084 Finished

This was the third top that I made during the sewing vacay but it was the most involved sew.  So let's start with a picture of the Vogue 9084 top finished ~


For all the trials and tribulations to get this top finished, I'm glad I made it. I know it looks nothing like the pattern envelope but I like the use of the suiting fabric with the faux leather to give it a funkysexycool vibe. See I told you, I'm a wanna be biker chick! *LOL*

Materials Used to make the Top~
Glen Plaid Wool Blend Suiting purchased from Fabric Mart years ago
Black faux leather from Sawyer Brook
Rayon Bemberg Lining from lowpricefabrics.com
20" invisible zipper

A little more sewing information ~
I detailed all of the pattern alterations and construction challenges in the previous post. Though this top took way longer to make than I thought it would. My choice of fabrics, alterations made to the pattern and the use of the faux leather all elevated the construction level of this pattern.

I was really concerned that I would have a problem getting the sleeves into the top.  Faux leather doesn't really gather well and the sleeve cap on this pattern needs a little gathering to make it fit. However, adding just a small amount of gathering at the top of the sleeve cap worked. I was really thrilled with how easily the sleeves went into the top, especially since it was the last element added before the top was finished. Even the pressing went without a hitch, probably because I used my shoulder stand and an organza pressing cloth folded into fourths to get a good press.

If I were to make any change to the top, it would be to line the peplum...and I even thought about it.  But removing all of the stitching in the hemline was overwhelming...so the peplum remains unlined. However, that is the only regret I have about making this top.  Everything else worked so well and it's casual enough for my workplace and yet dressy enough for me...so a win-win.

All of the pattern pieces are altered and stored away.  I don't know if I will make this again. It's such a distinctive pattern. Maybe a spring version out of a lightweight ponte...we will see.

A few more pictures ~ 

Adding the extra flare and lowering the back hem by 2" prevented
the flounce from landing in the middle of my backside.

A peak of the faux leather insert on the side

Worn with a pair of RTW ponte leggings and a wedge shoe bootie

Conclusion ~
I am a dress snob. I love sewing and wearing them. I thought that sewing tops would be easy, too easy after the complicated sews I've had making dresses. Boy did this top pattern prove me wrong! *LOL* Yet I'm so glad that it did! It means that I can take all of my advanced sewing techniques and apply them to some of the tops I make to satisfy my creative needs.


I've primarily sewn tops on this vacay.  Since my company closes Christmas Week and I will be on vacation for 11 days with probably 8 or 9 to just sew, I plan on concentrating on a pants pattern then. I'm so excited and so thrilled with this new top!

...as always more later!







56 comments:

  1. What a fun top! The fabrics you have chosen are perfect. You look gorgeous in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! This is just the first in the tops/tunics coming using suiting fabrics. I own a ton of them and don't want to feel like they won't work now that I'm not living that corporate life!

      Delete
  2. It a fab top. You need to remember that a top involves everything a dress does, with the exception of about 18" on the side seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MakeitAnyWear - when I figured that out I swear the top of my head blew off like that commercial! *LOL* So more tunics from dress ideas will be coming out of the sewing machine!

      Delete
  3. This top looks really badass and I mean that in the nicest way. You are a really good designer and sewist. I wanna be you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you nailed this top! I love your new look, very stylish! With all the work you put into it, I would wear it with so much pride too! Congrratulations on completing it sucessfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra - this one was a challenging sew but I do love how it turned out!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon - finding my way with this new casual style of dressing has been challenging. Hopefully I'm on the right path now.

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic. I like the added volume in the flounce. The faux leather accents are fabulous. This is going to be such a fun addition to your closet. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of the "menswear" fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I know right! I'm excited to be using the menswear fabric in future garments!

      Delete
  8. Very pretty!
    What type of faux leather do you use? I love the detail and flair it adds, but I'll admit, leather scares me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - I use a regular faux leather with a knit backing. So easy to work with and the only care you need to take is to make sure that you're careful when ironing it. I use a size 80 Schmetz needle and sometimes a teflon foot, sometimes not.

      Delete
  9. What a flattering top on you. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Nakisha - you should try this pattern. I think you'd look amazing in it!

      Delete
  11. I was curious to see how the suiting fabric worked with that pattern. The fabric really drapes well. Nice choice! And you look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank OJolly! Who knew suiting fabric had such great drape. I will be using it in new and interesting ways going forward and I'm quite excited about that journey!

      Delete
  12. funkysexycool for sure! I not want to be a biker babe too! This is a fantastic top, I feel you on adding the lining on the peplum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *I NOW want to be a biker babe too*

      Delete
    2. Thanks Miss Melody! Now if I could find some biker chick boots that fit! New challenge!

      Delete
  13. That top is so beautiful and flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look just fabulous in this. Love the vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This top is fantastic and just as sophisticated and creative as any of your dresses. I think you have found your groove!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you nailed it!! Besides being a cool top, it is so YOU which is important as you find your new style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Fantastic.... watch out designers are going to be coming your way! I love how it's like sort of a tux/tails look in the back. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it makes sense and that design feature is what drew me to the pattern!

      Delete
  18. Carolyn, you are looking fantastic!! And the top is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your new top, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great top - your choice of fabric was 'right on'. It looks great on you
    Marciae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia and so glad you're still reading my adventures!

      Delete
  21. Love the top! Looks great on you. There are many dress patterns that can lend themselves to being hacked into tunic tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise - thanks! I've been looking at dress patterns differently since I had that ephiphany!

      Delete
  22. Great style and very flattering on you. Excellent job!

    Judy Walker

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Candice this would look amazing on you! You should think about buying the pattern since knits are one of the fabrics suggested.

      Delete
  24. This is so cute on you! The waist darts in front are really slimming, and the additional flair to the peplum makes the back drape beautifully. The back looks like a really pretty dress, but I don't think it would look nearly as flattering if it were actually a dress (i.e. same length all around). Another SCORE! for you, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! You don't know what a mind shift it is to use darts and not be afraid that they are going to point to the fat. So keeping the darts in is sooooo much growth on my part. I really love the back drape and I'm so glad that I enlarged the flounce.

      Delete
  25. This is cute as hell!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this top! I too am a wanna be biker/rocker. I made a pair of clovers with faux leather in the front. Its super butt-curve-y and my husband LURRRVS it. Now, to make that moto jacket to go with it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails