Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Rachel Skirt - 2015

I bought denim during the Black Friday sales last year because I wanted a denim skirt and a denim button down dress. After I finished the tunic, I really didn't want to sew another top right away. The denim was out because it had been prewashed so I went that way.

I used Vogue 1247 - The Rachel Comey skirt (this pattern is now OOP) with the invisible pockets for my denim skirt. No one said I was going to be traditional about this! *LOL* I first made this pattern back in 2011.



The supply list ~
Medium Weight Denim purchased from Fabric Mart
9" blue invisible zipper
2 - 5/8" gold buttons


Pattern Alteration and Construction Details ~
I made some simple alterations to the skirt pattern, removing a 1/2 inch from the side of the back pieces. Those are the only changes I made. Otherwise the skirt is sewn just as the pattern instructs ~ except my insides are serge finished instead of adding the bias binding ~ though I did pull some from the collection to use to make binding. However, once my skirt was done, I liked the serge finish and decided to forego the binding.



The instructions are easy to follow - though I noticed some alterations in my pattern pieces from the Vogue 1247 pieces.  That's because I used my TNT straight skirt pattern to alter the original pieces since the pattern only goes up to a size 18.  My version has two darts in the back yokes, whereas the V1247 back yokes has a single dart.  Those two darts work well for my bodacious booty and well in this adaptation too.

My waistband is 2" wide by 48" long, which I cut using the selvedge of the denim and without using a pattern. I like a thinner waistband ~ just enough to hold the skirt to my body without digging into my skin and to provide an additional closure. A button/buttonhole combination is my closure of choice.



I love the length. It's perfect for tights and my booties and it works great with my sleeveless turtlenecks or a tee-shirt with a cardi over it. A little more on the dressy side for work but hey it's denim so I'm gonna wear it!

A few photos ~


This is another piece off my list of garments I'd like to have in my wardrobe. I know it's not the traditional jean skirt but since I'm developing a Chicos Chic wardrobe for work - it's perfect for me!  

The jean skirt was the second piece sewn during my Christmas Break. Since I ordered fabric with a Christmas gift card (black denim from EOS), I decided to use the remaining two yards to make a jean topper.  



I've added a sneak peek of the Vogue 8090 topper which is up next on the blog. I won't necessarily wear this skirt with the topper but it's another piece I've wanted to add to my wardrobe. 

However, will you please notice the boots!! Another byproduct of my weight loss is that my calves and ankles are no longer swollen, so I was totally amazed when these wide calf boots fit comfortably. I've only worn them to church, which is only a couple of hours and little walking is involved. I've yet to wear them for my 12 hour workdays...but it's coming people...it's coming!

...as always more later! 






34 comments:

  1. You look great in that outfit! I hope the boots stand up to a full work day because they really suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn ~ I love this skirt. I'm shocked it's been 4+ years since you first made it. Congrats on the continued weight loss. Glad the boots fit, hope they stand the workday test! g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skirt! I love it with the tunic and booties. And those boots rock, too. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your evolving style is a delight to see. I love how you are using the fabric to guide you along with contemporary shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again you have combined casual with your chic style perfectly. Who knows perhaps you will encourage your coworkers to upstyle their clothing choices ?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the skirt and the look. The next blog I went to read was "the other Carolyn" and what did she blog today? the same skirt:
    http://handmadebycarolyn.com.au/2016/01/zebra_crossing.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that Carolyn has made 14 versions of this skirt! It speaks to how amazing the pattern is! I want to make more I just have to figure out what fabric to use and now wait until spring because the cold temps have moved in.

      Delete
  7. I love that skirt! I don't know why, when I started reading, that I was surprised you made this skirt. But I love it!! It's perfect and really hits that casual chic spot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice. I like the combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you mentioned a denim skirt in your previous post I had a feeling it might be another Rachael C as I remember the fab one you made back in 2011. I think this new one turned out super and I'm glad I still have that pattern. It's another great addition to your Chicos Chic wardrobe. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you are looking positively svelte so keep up the weight loss. Very nice skirt. Jacket too, but they look better apart. Together they are too matchy, matchy.
    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great skirt and boots. If you remember I made 10 skirts for golf using this pattern. As soon as I finish what I'm currently working on I'm going to make a denim version too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute I love the pockets and your boots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is also my favorite skirt. I made it in EOS denim ponte with an elastic waist and about your length as I am retirement age. I always get compliments when I wear it, you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the second of these skirts by a Carolyn I've seen today! That is where the similarity ends though as they are both quite different interpretations. Love your denim version and I'm sure it will get a ton of wear - especially with your new boots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay boots! Works beautifully with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice skirt, Carolyn. Looks really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carolyn, I recently "found" your blog and I am loving reading through everything! Today when reading your sewing techniques archives my 4 1/2 yr old fashionista saw the pictures of you in your ponte dresses and said "ohhh how pretty, isn't she goooorgeous!" Yes, she is! Thank you for all of your great posts! They are really helpful to me! I started sewing a few years ago, mostly quilts, now I am obsessed with sewing clothing but have lots to learn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the outfit on you! The top is quite chic. I love that skirt pattern too. I made one and I want to make so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your skirt, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am totally stealing your idea of using a TNT skirt pattern to adapt this pattern! Have always loved the pocket feature but I don't have size 18 hips. :). Anyway this skirt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 12 Hour workdays! Holy smokes! I don't envy you that Carolyn but I do envy those boots ! Love em. Very nice denim skirt and I think it looks great with the top.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the same pattern! You have inspired me to make the skirt out of denim...one of these days. Beautiful skirt and yes, your boots are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't believe this pattern is OOP, seems like everyone loves it! Your denim version is absolutely perfect, love it love it love it! Especially with the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your skirt is fantastic, and oh-so-flattering! And you are rocking the boots. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You and your boots! Sooo cute with your new skirt and top. What a perfect combination.... plus you get to wear them with boots.... what's not to like? Lol... your shoe/boot habit.... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, another lovely make! Once again, you've hit the golden mean for the garment's length. This cuts you at the perfect place, is quite slimming, and perfectly balances with the jacket and top. You could make this in several colors and it would be a killer look on you each time. You are truly rocking your beautiful new figure. A lot of times, people will compliment a look profusely and won't really realize what it is that makes the garment go "kapow" on the wearer. It's rarely the fabric, although wearing one's best colors certainly contributes. It's almost always the perfect style, fit, and length for the particular person's frame that makes a standout look. Here, there's black, and then there's "black." Anybody can wear a black skirt, but getting a very well-fit skirt that also hits a truly flattering length right on the nose makes women do a double-take and men sit up and go "woof!" Congratulations! Creative Hormone Rush

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops, sorry, my eyes trick me sometimes with dark colors on my screen. I meant to compliment your beautiful dark navy denim skirt, of course! Cindy, Creative Hormone
    Rush

    ReplyDelete
  28. That skirt pattern is such a winner, it has become almost a cult favourite, especially now it's OOP. Great pieces that will totally work for your new lifestyle and a big yay for the boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't know that pattern was out of print! How could it be, everyone loves it? And I still don't have it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad to see that you're developing a work aesthetic that you love and feel comfortable in! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails