Thursday, December 01, 2016

Throwback Thursday #5

I made this top in December 2008. I'd just started working in the very corporate job and had to work Christmas week, though no one dressed up that week. I was low on casual gear so I made this sweater to go over a pair of jeans because it was a very popular pattern. It's Butterick 5247 - long out of print. 

When cleaning out the closet last weekend, moving scarves & winter gear to a drawer, I happened upon it and realized that it would work well for this job. My styling was a little thrown together in 2008 but here is how I will wear it now:

The original blog post details where the fabric came from and the alterations I made to the pattern. I made it again a couple of months later, February 2009, as a dress. That blog post is here. I wore that dress a lot in subsequent years on Casual Fridays, at the corporate spot, but it was donated along with the rest of my corporate gear.

A few more pictures of the top ~


Notice the little person in the background!


...and because no picture taking session is complete without a visit of the grandbabies...here they are running around in the yard. It was a little too chilly for Joshua so he stayed in the house.




Conclusion ~
It was nice to find this top and add it to my work wardrobe especially since I'm in need of tops & tunics to go over my RTW jeans. I've shown it here with a sleeveless turtleneck but when it gets really cold, I will wear a long sleeve turtleneck under it. 

I've purchased so many new top patterns recently, that I'm not going to revisit this one. However, it's nice to have a new top to wear to work this week!

...as always more later!





18 comments:

  1. A very good find in your wardrobe, it will be the perfect layering piece at work and also at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon - thanks! I wore it work with a long sleeve ltwt cashmere turtleneck and it was perfect. Not too hot and comfortable to wear!

      Delete
  2. What a pleasant surprise to find a legacy piece that works for the you of now! And of course, the advancing granddaughter in the background is a sweet detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ - it was great to find. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it!

      Delete
  3. The kids are so cute! lucky find with the top too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I adore those little people and think I have way more pics of them than my daughter does but then I don't have the day-to-day with them!

      Delete
  4. It's so great to see handmades that stand the test of time and to see how older pieces work as styling changes. I love the necklace you paired this one with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene - thanks! I love that necklace too especially since it doesn't seem too much for this work situation.

      Delete
  5. Nice throwback! I like your styling with the black leggings and boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo! Leggings and shortie boots are a staple in the wardrobe now.

      Delete
  6. So loving this! Such a timeless and well put-together look. The sweater top has great visual interest (a true art form in tone-on-tone dressing) as well as a very flattering scoop neckline, and you've accessorized it beautifully. Cindy (Creative Hormone Rush)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - thanks! After I wore it to work yesterday I wondered if I had anything else in the collection I could use to make another one!

      Delete
  7. Hello friend, It's been awhile. Nice throwback, still stylish, still current. I really like how you styled it for this winter season. BTW- Your grands are growing up so fast. Beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cennetta! Thanks for the top love! The grandbabies are growing up so quickly...I'm going to look and they will be teenagers!

      Delete
  8. I remembered that top as I had made a tunic top from that same pattern around the same time. I think I wore that top twice and it was one of those fabrics that did not do well when washed. I like the new "old" top as it does work well for your more casual work place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - it was a very popular pattern and alot of sewists used it! Now that I've worn it again, I'm thinking that I may make another one...sorry that yours didn't last!

      Delete
  9. Isn't it wonderful to find something you had forgotten about and realize that you have a great use for it? It's like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, you look great in this top and I LOVE how you've styled it. It's a very nice fit. I love seeing the little ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails