Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Stripes & Lace Button Down

It seems like my spring sewing so far has been inspired by photos I've saved during the long dreary winter months. There are a few designers whose work I really admire so I follow them on Instagram. Isaac Mizrahi is one of those designers. I found this button down blouse on his IG feed.



I've been holding onto it waiting for spring. Well spring has arrived and I'm ready to make my version of it. I've even photographed it with white capris and my favorite summer slides. BTW, these will be the last of the photos taken by me in front of the fireplace. The trees are budding and it's starting to be really pretty outside my front door so I will be moving back outside with my next garment.




Here's a picture of my materials ~


Fabric:
Cotton/Poly Blend Shirting from Fabric Mart

Notions:
Lace purchased from Fabric Mart several years ago
Pearl shank buttons from the button collection

Pattern:
I used my TNT button down mashup pattern ~ Butterick 5678 & Vogue 7700. The only change made was to the sleeve to add the lace detail.

The original shows the lace under the hemline of the sleeve but I didn't like my lace that way so I placed it over the hemline. It's the only change I made to my version of the designer shirt.

A few pictures of my new shirt ~





I've fallen in love with this button down mash-up. It fits in the front but has a nice swing to it from the extra fabric in the back. Since I've made it longer than my first version, it's very comfortable to wear and works with skirts as well as my jeans and leggings. There will be at least one or two more before I head into serious summer sewing.

Next on the cutting table is a new maxidress pattern. I've been accumulating a few new maxidress patterns to sew this summer. I need to add some additions to my maxi dress wardrobe...cause y'all know I love a good summer maxi!

...as always more later!



20 comments:

  1. This is such a cute blouse and perfectly mimics the RTW. I love how you follow the latest trends and re-invent them appropriately for us plus-sized women. I don't like that term but fail to embrace other words. What do you say? Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use plus sized, curvy, thick but the words don't bother me much! I'm just thrilled there is a recognized place for us in the RTW and sewing space because I remember a time when we were marginalized.

      Delete
  2. Love this shirt and so on trend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be still my heart!
    I have a length of lavender striped material that for the last year or sew has been demanding to become a button down shirt but I haven't been able to decide if the cuff and front placket should be on the bias...But lace is sooo much better (and I actually have some lavender lace left over from a wedding 20 years ago...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your inspiration, your shirt and thank you for posting such a great idea! I have a few patterns now with those lovely bell sleeves and it NEVER occurred to me to make them with lace - gorgeous embellishment to a nice blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You went "over"! Yay! I love it. And the gathering on the back is beautiful.

    This is a real win. I bet a floral version would be awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, it was appreciated! And you know a floral one is on my list! *LOL*

      Delete
  6. It's all about the sleeve. I like the lace 'cuff' instead of a stuffy old button placket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so unusual, and very lovely. In my long life of sewing (over 50 years) I have never seen this done, and I like it a lot. Off to find some nice lace....

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I LOVE lace, the fancier the better, but my fabric budget only stretches so far, so I'm always on the lookout for special ways to add lace details and this totally fits the bill. About how much lace did you use on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KittyChair Designs - I don't think I used a full yard but to be honest I didn't check. I rolled off what I needed from the supply I had.

      Delete
  9. That's a great idea Carolyn, to view the IG post of designers! (Keeps you up on current trends!) Anyway, I absolutely adore this top! That touch of lace at the curves makes it so feminine and pretty! Great job and great eye for fashion! (And I love the way you styled it, casual chic at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty, so pretty. Love the lace trimmed sleeves. I have a blue pinstripe shirt with interesting sleeve details on my spring sewing list

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so look forward to your designer inspired looks and this one is no exception. You have totally knocked it out of the ballpark with this one - it's fabulous. I love the lace sleeves, the stripes, the color of the shirt - every single thing about this. Fabulous job. g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails