Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A Little Somethin' Jacket

I purchased this pattern last December during my first trip to visit Gaylen at her B&B.  There is a cute quilt shop nearby that sells quilt fabrics and quilting accessories, The Old Country Store. This pattern was one of the things I picked up.


The pattern is called "A Little Somethin' Jacket" and it's produced by CNT Patterns. When I bought the pattern, I thought that I would make a cute spring/summer jacket. Of course I never got around to sewing one ~ so many patterns, not enough time.  


However, I was looking for something quick and easy to sew after the very challenging sew of Simplicity 2894. I'd washed and dried this rayon I purchased during the Jackson Heights Fabric Crawl...


...and it shrunk alot during the process. When I ironed it, the fabric sprung back into shape. I'd originally wanted another pair of wide legged pants but was leery of the fabric's reaction to heat. I could see my butt and knees bagging out unattractively in the finished garment. I set the fabric aside, but it stayed on my mind.

When I pulled this pattern out to use, the fabric was right there, so it was a perfect match. This really is a quick sew and a good palette cleanser. There are only three pattern pieces ~ front, back and sleeve. I lengthened the jacket's hem by 1" to add extra coverage in the back! I also lengthened the sleeve hem by 1". It was totally unnecessary to alter the sleeve hem and I won't do it for the next version.

It goes together easily with only a slight challenge inserting the front collar to the back neckline...just take care when pinning the two pieces together and you will be alright. Otherwise there was nothing else construction wise to note. 

A few pictures of the jacket ~



Only back shot we took because it was 
the end of a long day of photographing garments

I have way more of this type of picture ~
...and this is a calm one!  My daughter is a saint! *LOL*

Conclusion ~
I liked this pattern because it reminded me of all the kimono jackets that are still around. The weather is getting cooler. This is a perfect topper for chilly mornings that will still work when it warms up in the afternoon.  Come late fall/early winter it will work with a turtleneck under it. A perfect transition piece!

This was so fun, quick and easy to make that I will probably make another one, next spring! LOL! I've got a full fall/winter sewing list that I'm very inspired to get off the paper and into my closet.

Also one quick note - this was sewn and photographed in August but due to all of the National Sewing Month posts - this is just making it to the blog. It's the last of the late summer sewing...everything after this will be fall garments.

...as always more later!



30 comments:

  1. Love the print, sure you'll reach for this topper all fall long

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot. I could see this topper in a nice sweater knit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this on you. Love the whole outfit, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous jacket! I haven't heard of this pattern company, as yet. Thank-you for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! And looks like you're having fun with the photos ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect fall outfit, casual and chic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pairing of pattern/fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome! Love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute on you - I love the geometric stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple, elegant and SASSY...couldn't we all use one of these handy jackets as Fall arrives? You look so pleased with yourself and the final garment...win-win! One question...did the stripes run crosswise or lengthwise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they ran lengthwise but I don't actually remember. Cause you know I have no problem using the fabric to meet my needs!

      Delete
    2. I love it that you break rules, Carolyn!

      Delete
  11. Carolyn, this is a super nice jacket. Love that print. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! I love the breeziness of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the shape of the jacket very much. And the sleeves have a generous cut without being oversized/sloppy. I wonder if you had to do a full biceps adjustment? (Asks someone who is always struggling with biceps!) The pairing of fabric and pattern is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle - I have really full biceps and usually I have to make an alteration to the sleeve pattern. I didn't need to with this one. It's very loose-fitting

      Delete
    2. I wondered because you usually mention it but didn't this time. I think I'll track down the pattern. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Perfect! I have a serious thing for b&w prints so I especially love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great on you! I have a similar fabric. I think you used yours in a perfect way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same pattern and did not think outside the box like you. I made it out of the polyester batik that was displayed with the pattern. While I do enjoy wearing it, and I agree it was a breeze to create -- my jacket is not as versatile as yours. I'm going to make another with longer sleeves in a "friendlier" fabric. Thanks,as always, for the inspiration, Carolyn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathryn - I can understand how you made it like the pattern because it is basically a pattern from a Quilt store. I usually stay away from these type patterns because they don't translate well to stylish wear, in my opinion and only my opinion...but I could "see" something in this one! You definitely should make another one!

      Delete
  17. Carolyn, another great job. I have this same pattern and just love it. Start to finish 2-3 hours. It always looks good, wears great, just the perfect jacket pattern. Thanks again for all your great posts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Need to revisit this pattern . Yours are lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love what you did with this pattern. It looks great on you. The fit is nice without looking frumpy or huge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your casual jacket, Carolyn! You seem to have adjusted to making casual wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have had this pattern in my stash for YEARS, and it's always managed to escape my "thrift shop purges". Now that I see how lovely your version (you and I have a similar body shape), I think it's finally time to pair it up with something from my stash and give it a try. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought this pattern earlier this year. Glad to see your version.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to you, I just ordered this pattern. Love your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails