Monday, February 10, 2014

Notes from The Sewing Cave...

I'm still sewing away.  I mean what else is there to do?  Every day I trudge to and from the bus headed to work past piles of snow, in the freezing cold, and in darkness.  It's dark in the morning...and dark in the evening.  It's enough to make me want to become a hermit...but then where would I wear all of these new makes?!




+ + + + +

I just want to take a moment and thank everyone who left congratulations on the birth of little Sammi. I'm thrilled to have another granddaughter! Hopefully I will have someone from this crop of grandchildren to pass this passion of mine onto!
+ + + + +

Also, thanks to everyone who wrote such thoughtful and amazing comments to my last post, "Are You the Sewist You Want to Be?"

Here are a few responses that I really enjoyed ~
The day that I become the sewist that I want to be will probably be my last day sewing.  I am really enjoying the journey to get there!

Yes, I am the seamstress I want to be.  I spend time sewing or doing sewing-related things every day.  I learn from each project and put those lessons to good use in subsequent projects.  I am not interested in pushing myself for the sake of pushing myself.  Instead, I learn new techniques as my projects require them.  The point is to have fun and make wearable clothes - I do both and love it.

I am definitely still learning and needing to improve my sewing skills.  That doesn't mean I am unhappy with my current level, just that I recognize I have more to learn.
by Tammy R.

For me, there are two questions.  What do I want to do more of and what don't I want to do?  Sometimes we can feel a pressure to know/do a certain thing when really it's of absolutely no interest and/or doesn't suit our personality or life style.  Tailoring comes to mind for me.  Not.Interested.  My focus remains fit, technique and individualization but there are ways I can take those up a notch too.  Am I having fun is a good measure.

All of the answers to the question were fascinating!  It was also interesting to see how many of us want to step our game up in 2014 and almost every one of those responses talked about taking the journey and enjoying the trip!  

As part of my blogging this year, I will be asking a question like this every month.  I enjoy the conversations, the new perspectives that are shared and the fact that sewists I haven't heard from before feel confident to express their opinions...that mean's a lot to me!


+ + + + +

My sewing this year will be willy nilly.  I'm really enjoying the freedom of just sewing what I want when I want. To that end, I don't know if I will actually make any more pieces in the Crazy 8 wardrobe. At times, I feel like continuing and then at other times, I just want to sew whatever...and lately whatever is winning out.

I know there will be at least two more "boring" solid colored sheath dresses coming up. I wasn't going to make any more but every time I have some downtime to think about my sewing, I keep coming back to the fact that I really want both a pink and a purple sheath dress. Those will be up right after I finish the pieces that I'm currently working on using this fabric...


The majority of the fabric in my collection is in 4 or 5 yard cuts.  It makes it really easy to cut several garments from one piece especially if the piece is wide (61"-64").  This cut has yielded a skirt, a dress and a vest.  I'm really enjoying the process and will have more to share soon.  I hope you are enjoying your sewing journeys too!


+ + + + +

One more quick note ~
Can I give a quick shout out to my girl, Oonaballoona, for winning the first challenge at Project Sewn.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that my other girl, Lauren/Lladybird, is no longer in the competition which stinks because I admire her sewing so much.  That's the thing about a competition though, someone always has to go home.  If you're not following along, I highly encourage you to surf on over to Project Sewn and catch up. Some awesome sewists (and a few I call friends!) are sewing a different theme every week.


...as always more later!





9 comments:

  1. I think sewing willy nilly can be really fun - letting your fabric stash take you this way and then that way, you never know what you can come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just going from one project to another right now too. It is this long, dark winter that is messing me up. I hope spring comes soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that print! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think pink and purple dresses will be at all boring! I love color and those are 2 favorites. Basics don't have to be boring or dull colors. Can't wait to see what you do with both these dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your strategy of getting a four or five yard cut of the fabrics you love. What a great way to be ready for multiple matching pieces without regretting not having snagged some more of a fabric that is now long gone! I'm going to shamelessly copy you and adopt that practice immediately. Of course, I'll need more shelves . . . . . Creative Hormone Rush

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of project sewn. Checking it out ASAP!
    www.thatssewnaija.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sincere congratulations on your new grandbaby. Aren't they wonderful? Blessings to everyone. Your snow photo above is just gorgeous. I love snow but think I may be getting tired of it, only because of the fear of being evacuated yet again. Many of us wanted to stay in the building last week, even without heat, but we were not allowed. I think it will be much harder to get people out if we lose it again. It was back on by 8 PM last Wednesday, just about the time we got settled at the facility set up for us by the Red Cross. (I know it was back on because I had a show set to record at 8 PM and it did tape). Be safe and stay warm. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog and I really like it. I found a few other nice blogs through this one so thank you. Love the Curvy Sewing Collective and been looking for sometime for a blog that had curvy sewist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails