Monday, October 11, 2021

Stages of Construction

I wrote a friend the other day that I don't sew as much anymore...even when I take days off thinking I will sew.  Since moving into my own place, there is so much to do like cleaning. I got rid of the cleaning crew when I moved thinking I can clean a one bedroom apartment. Seriously I'm thinking of having them come in once a month to deep clean. *LOL*

Or decorating, I'd settled into my previous spaces. Having only lived here 13 months there are still things I want to do.  Paint, wallpaper (peel and stick options are amazing) add some furniture to my balcony, etc. So I spend time looking at decorating sites, imagining new things to do, things that are not sewing related.

Let's also add in that I'm back to commuting to NYC 2-3 times a week so my sewing has taken a back seat. I feel like my life has gained a balance I was lacking pre-Covid since I primarily worked and sewed. 

However I am sewing...just in small amounts of time...and not always completing everything I start.

Here are a few pieces that are in various stages of completion...

Simplicity 8875 ~

I don't know what got into me and made me think I could make this slim fitting dress fit my bodacious body...especially since I'm no longer a fan of a close-fitted dress. Wait, was I ever?  Oh yes, in my 20s! *LOL*

I made a 101 fit changes - all documented by the way for a future blogpost - and stopped when I tried it on.  It just needs the bottom ruffle added which I have not been able to bring myself to finish and add to the dress.  Why?  Because I'm not sure I will ever wear the dress due to its close fit. 


BTW, that amazing fabric I used was purchased again, as soon as I had doubts about this original garment.  Another five yards resides in the collection because I was so scared that I'd wasted the fabric.  While this was a spring fabric purchase from StyleMaker Fabrics, it is sold out.  Now do you understand why I immediately bought another five yards?

McCalls 7943 ~

This dress was the victim of bad timing. I started it at the beginning of September thinking I would get it finished in a week or two, photographed and worn. Ummm no! Some family matters came up that ate up several weekends.  Then it really started to look like autumn around here and I lost interest in a floaty, summery, sleeveless maxi dress. This one I want to finish but it's going to end up waiting until next spring.  Fall Sewing is calling my name.

This TNT shirt ~


I was done with this shirt BUT I hung it up on my sewing rack at the beginning of spring. Now that it's getting cooler, I'm thinking about fixing it and adding it to my wardrobe. It is a really cool idea and there is a lot of money invested in that fabric. So look for it sometime this fall/winter on the blog.

Lastly, I'm finishing off my black & white version of the Style Arc Hope Dress. Like I said I have several garments in stages of construction, now to finish them or pack them away to wait for another season. Hopefully some will make it to the blog sooner rather than later!


...as always more later!




10 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's struggling to fit in sewing time! I too, have things I started in the summer and now I'm wondering whether to put them away or finish them - so many decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never too late to start sewing as lately I have been sewing again instead of making alterations for my family It was always a pleasure making what I love to do my latest projects were making cute little dresses for my sweet little Granddaughters..... I will never give up sewing,I find that it relaxing to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that dress pattern Simplicity 8875 such a pretty dress so feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a size 20 and was most disappointed I could not obtain this pattern and was thinking of trying again but do you not think it a good idea? Me being on the large size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First - would you please leave your name when you leave a comment so I know who I'm addressing and second - which pattern? There are three in this post. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I really appreciate this post. As a blogger and a sewist and as a human, there are just...things that had all the good intentions in the world and aren't getting done. I wouldn't say they are never going to get finished, but they aren't exactly WIP if the progress isn't ...progressing.
    the ones that call you are the ones that will get done (that panel shirt is a safe bet). the others will wait or get sent away. You're all grown up and can make your own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve been sewing in really heavy chunks of work, followed by a few days of thinking, staring at things, and rest. Basically, why adhere to imaginary schedules? Even my clients lack firm schedules…

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails