It is 4 yards of a wool/silk blend that I bought several years ago from Fabric.com. Originally it was purchased to make a pair of pants and a vest. But upon touching it this time, it said that it wanted to become a dress.
I wasn't sure which dress to make. I had some vague ideas but nothing concrete. As I was going through my sewn pattern folders, I spied the Butterick one. Remembering that I wanted to make it again and realizing that I had a great contrast fabric for the yoke, sleeve and hem bands, I pulled it out.
Finding my notes from the spring/summer version of this dress, rereading them and my blog post brought the construction details back to my mind. There were two changes that I wanted to make to this winterized version:
1. Block fuse the contrast fabric prior to cutting out the yoke pieces
2. Make sure that I lengthened the back yoke pieces to avoid this:
I added a black polyester lining to the entire dress...sleeves included. Finally here is a picture of me wearing the finished dress:
The jury is still out on this dress. The neckline is really wide which is great on a spring/summer dress...not so great on a fall/winter dress. The dress is loose-fitting without any darts...and even though quite a few of my dresses are unstructured...they do have darts or princess seams to give the appearance of shape. This could have easily looked like a housedress!
One last pic of both the summer & winter versions:
It's done...and I'll probably wear it...but it's not a hall of fame dress...if you want to see more construction and interior shots, they are in my flickr album. It's done and all I can think of is..."NEXT!"