Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Great Fabric Migration

Normally by now I've done the great fabric switchover.  It usually happens sometime during the end of May/beginning of June because by then I'm invested in sewing summer garments.  Along with the great fabric migration, there's usually a post about how much fabric I own.  I mean taking it out of the fabric closet and the bins in the living room and my bedroom and laying it all out to stack, fold, separate and replace is normally a sobering moment.  However, that won't be happening this year.
This year the migration will have to wait.  Yes, that's right...I won't be switching fabrics around this year.  No removing fabric candidates that were pulled for possible garments last fall but never made it from flat fold status...no folding and unfolding of treasures forgotten...no inspiring moments remembering when a piece was purchased and who I was with...those memories are on hold this year.

Why do you ask?  Well the great sewing room make over will occur either late summer or early fall and I just don't want to move fabric more times than I have too.  Hopefully the new wall of shelving that I am adding to the sewing room will handle all of this overflow fabric and I will no longer have to switch fabric around from season to season.

So this summer I'll be digging around in the fabric closet or picking through the bins to make new pieces.  I'm trying not to complain...trying to understand that even though this is challenging now...that soon I will have a brand spanking new sewing room and this minor inconvenience will be forgotten.

I'm off to sew...since I spent last night pulling fabric candidates out of the fabric closet for a few new pieces for work...

...more later!

14 comments:

  1. You are going to love having more shelving in your sewing room -- there is no such thing as too much "storage solutions" for a sewing room, imo. I have just finished moving my sewing room from one room to another in my condo, and while I was dreading the process in the beginning, I am so pleased with how the "new" sewing room turned out. One thing that I did differently this time is instead of making do with whatever random furniture, unwanted elsewhere in the house, I got rid of it all and had wall shelves installed and a table for my home sewing machines attached at the bottom of the shelving (with holes drilled for cords in it!). This way, there is little wasted space, the shelf height is customized to what I need to store, and everything is so much more neat and streamlined (that is, until I trash this sewing room too :). Good luck with the upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right to wait for the new sewing room. How exciting! And reaching into a bin for one thing, you might just pull out something wonderful you have forgotten about. Think of it as a way that God has built some happy surprises into your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new sewing room will be worth all the digging. Will you be sharing pictures? I love seeing other's sewing spaces. Good luck :)

    Andrea
    satinbirddesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about the status of your sewing room. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wondering about the status of your new space. You definitely want to wait until the room is complete. I can't wait to see it. Just knowing this designer has such a vested interest will definitely make it fabulous. Please keep us informed of every detail and happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelves will be great. My big pastime is knitting; every ebay or etsy jaunt reminds me I've run out of room for my stashes and patterns. Time for more shelves!
    I've been reading your blog intermittingly for a while now. Your sense of color, style and proportion are fabulous, just wonderful.
    I'm really impressed you make custom couture- that is, corporate apprpriate attire that suits you splendidly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a wise woman! Why spend time moving fabric when you can sew! I cannot wait to see the new sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to love having a dedicated sewing room. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see your new room! I have a hybrid setup - wall mounted shelves lining 2 walls (now packed full of books, some sewing collectibles and a couple of old sewing machines, a wire shelf system in the closet, and a mish-mash of desks, dresser, and a herd of plastic drawers. Sometimes I'd love to replace the desks with a built-in, but time/$/energy are being directed toward other things right now. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting....a new sewing room in the near future. Please keep us up to date on the progress. In the mean time keep sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too was wondering how your sewing room is coming along and I hope you post pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, definitely wait for your completed sewing room because that's when the real fun begin as you organize your fabulous stash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Often, digging around in the bins is a lot of fun! (O.K. I tell myself that when guilt hits about my enormous and unorganized fabric stash.)I'm just waiting for ideas from your new sewing room before I organize. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm new to your blog (and all blogs), and new to sewing. I have learned so many things since I started reading. What is your favorite way to label fabrics in your stash?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails