Monday, September 22, 2014

The Bubble Dress

This is one of my favorite dresses...



I would wear it at least once a week if I didn't own so many other dresses. I've even bought quite a few yards of fabric in 2 yard lengths to make more of this type of dress. So a couple of weekends ago when I had minimal desire to sew, I thought of the dress, made from my TNT dress pattern, and this piece of fabric...



...to make another.

Pretreating the Fabric ~
I posted this fabric shortly after it was purchased either here or on Instagram and a very kind soul told me that they had bought it also AND that when they prewashed it, the colors ran...so I washed and dried it with a color catcher. Thankfully the colors didn't run but the color catcher was definitely discolored...



Also, the fabric had a slick hand prior to pretreatment.  Afterwards the fabric was a little fuzzier, much fuzzier when pulled out of the dryer than after it was pressed. It's also a little heavier/thicker ~ like the fibers had felted or fluffed up a little. Nothing that would dissuade me from using it but definitely noticeable different from its original form.



The Stats ~
Fabric:
A ponte knit from Fabric Mart purchased earlier this year

Pattern:
TNT Dress Pattern

Notions:
22" invisible zipper

Construction ~
This is not couture sewing. There are no awesome sewing techniques in this dress but there were no awesome sewing techniques in the original dress either.

Just some good basic sewing...
  • The center back seams were interfaced with a lightweight knit interfacing to stabilize the fabric prior to inserting the invisible zipper.
  • There is stitch witchery in the hemline prior to using a twin needle to machine stitch it flat.
  • The neckline and armholes are pressed flat and topstitched using a twin needle.
  • Like the original, this dress is unlined too and will be worn with a slip.
  • Lastly the back pieces have been replaced with the four pattern piece back that I've used in my last couple of dresses because it solves all of my fitting issues in the back. It also gives my dresses a closer fit. 
  • BTW, do you know my dress front pattern piece is larger than my back pattern pieces. My measurements side to side are larger in the front than the back so that is compensated for with the difference in front and back pieces.
It was a quick yet satisfying sew. The fabric is what makes this dress special and why I'd like to make a few more since I own a lot of wonderful fabric. 

Here are more pics of the dress...


From the side back

From the back

Side View

How I will wear it with a black cardigan 

Finally, I know my last couple of posts have been really serious but I've been playing this Taylor Swift song non-stop all weekend.  Now I'm not a huge Taylor Swift fan but the beat is so good and the video is very funny so it's been on repeat while I sewed.  Please realize that this video doesn't reflect on the seriousness of the previous posts...just my love of a good song and an even better video.




...as always more later!  

49 comments:

  1. The dress is pretty, and looks great on you. I am finally done with gardening and canning for the year so I can turn my attention back to sewing and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress. Perfect fit. I always learn something from your posts. Very interesting about do your backs. I must get over my fear of sewing (fitting) sheath dresses - they just look so elegant on you, I want some too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new dress! Between Pharell's "Happy" and Taylor's "Shake it Off", I have a great time in my sewing room. Had not seen the video of the song, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again, the floral print fabric is one of my favorite fabric purchases. I made a skirt from it and have several tops with various colors that make it a wear a lot skirt for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda-I bought that fabric because of you and in two color ways! I think I'm finally going to use the other one this fall! So thank you for sharing your fabric finds!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that print on you. Wearing black and red always makes me walk with an extra swing in my step too. Gorgeous choice and a knockout in combo with those (lush) shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty dress. Who cares if you've made a ton. If it works don't fix it. Now I have that song stuck in my head. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the perfect style to show off the fabric and it's your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this dress. The fabric makes it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic fabric, and fantastic dress. But holy cow! That color catcher! Good thing you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric in this dress says "happy"!! I hope you are happy all day when you wear it! It looks great on you and accentuates your beauty. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The short version is: love it! Longer version: I want that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loves me some T-Swift!!!

    Really love the colors and print of the dress on you. Perfect transition dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want that fabric too! And your beautifully fitting and flattering dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful dress! This print looks amazing on you Carolyn. So jealous of your TNT dress pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those colors on you! I find that the things I wear the most were often the simplest and most straightforward to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great dress! You look fabulous in it, as always. It's the best uniform ever - dress with a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yeah on the Taylor Swift video! Love this dress, and I always love seeing this color combo on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great, fun print, and of course the fit is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this dress! The print is so fun and it fits you beautifully. Honestly, I can't even decide if I like it better with or without a cardigan. Either way, you look fabulous!

    Also, that Taylor Swift song has been stuck in my head for weeks! My younger sister is in high school and, as a side effect of her Taylor fan girl status, I'm also a closet T. Swift fan. So much of her stuff, this song included, is just too catchy not to sing along with! Perfect sewing music.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love that fabric, great choice and a fantastic look

    ReplyDelete
  21. Red is your color!! Yeah, TS does have a knack for catchy songs and I like the message of this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this dress on you! The colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love both dresses! Those prints are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Classy as always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that print, so fun. As always you have a beautiful dress, beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love, love that dress! Makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really beautiful. You've inspired me to sew again. I so wish it were easy to walk into a fabric store and buy clothing worthy fabrics like in the old days "Sigh"

    BTW where do you find slips these days? Especially for us plus gals. My old ones are in tatters and lo and behold, the stores only seem to have the Spanx type slips.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a slip - full or half try Jessica London:
      http://www.jessicalondon.com/Plus-Size-Slips-and-Camisoles.aspx?DeptId=9443

      Delete
  28. Love this dress and print!!! Nothing like a good ole "TNT"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Boom! You hit that straight out of the park. I couldn't comment on your recent post about abuse, so I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting it now. I leant a lot from it. Thank you. Rachel ☺

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that you're rocking out to Taylor Swift.

    That video is awesome -- I love all her silly dancing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a happy, happy dress! Awesomely fun make! Creative Hormone Rush

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love black, white and red for work. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. CAROLYN. that dress is so much FUN!!! you look ready to take over the world in that print! i vote for president carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your dress is fabulous and you look great in it! I love the colors. Red looks great on you….the shoes are fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The bubble are so fun, great looking dress.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the dress. I so wish that I could fit myself as well as you fit yourself. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Another great job! You find the best fabric!!!! Love this dress, you look magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Whew! A bubble print. I was afraid you'd sewn up something with a bubble hem, which is most unlike you (unless sewing for a grandchild, and even then ...). I love the bright concentration of color on you. Great dress, very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very interesting about your front pattern piece being bigger than the back. I am the opposite. I recently made something where I cut the back a size bigger than the front and it solved a lot of my fitting issues. Love that fun print!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the way the 4 pieces fit the back on this dress. Love it too styled with the black cardi. Fun print, nice fit, great styling, what more could you want?

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG - Love that bubble dress. I loved the first one so much that I made my own version and now looking at the gorgeous bubble fabric I may just have to "steal" this one too. Although it does sound like that fabric is a PIA. I will have to find something like it though - it looks so great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love it! Great eye for fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I LOVE this on you. It's so, so good! Great colors on you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails