...using this pattern...
Of course pattern alterations were first because honestly how many of us sew things right out of the envelope? AND I needed to make a few changes to the top pattern to make it work as a jacket.
I added 3" to the shorten/lengthen line to the jacket front to make it knee length. 2" was also added to the center front so that it will close.
I also made facings for the front pattern piece and the back neckline. The back neckline piece was cut a little deeper so that I can add a tag and to give the jacket a little designer edge.
Making the front facing
The back facing (which I altered again before I cut the fabric)
I added an inch to the back pattern pieces to add a back seam to the jacket to give it a little more definition.
The final change was made to the sleeve. The pattern is a cut-on sleeve and to add length there is an additional piece to sew to the cut-on portion. I lengthened this piece 4.25" to make it wrist length. I also narrowed the seams so that the wrists weren't so large.
That's it for pattern alterations...simple and easy but enough to change the top to a jacket. Next up cutting the fabric out and constructing the jacket. I will share the finished jacket soon!
...as always more later!