Sunday, November 30, 2014

Vogue 8840 finished plus more

It's been a long weekend full of family, food and Christmas decorating.  Have I ever told you that I don't really like to put up Christmas decorations?!  Well I don't...mostly because you have to take them down! *LOL*  I mean I love the way homes are done up for the holiday and I'm especially in awe of those who spend quality time lighting up the outside of their homes.  However, if I could pass that up or better still decorate the tree, roll it into a closet and roll it out year after year, I'd probably be happiest!

With that longwinded introduction, I'm sure you're wondering if I sewed any this weekend?  Well actually I did!  I finished Vogue 8840 and a sweater vest and skirt combo. I love all three pieces but photographing them proved to be quite challenging.

See it's getting dark outside by 4-4:30pm lately which cuts into my Sunday sewing time considerably! Honestly, I'm just getting geared up good on Sunday, so to stop by 2pm to take pictures hasn't quite jelled with me yet. It seems like just a few weeks ago, I could sew until 5-6pm and then take pictures to post to the blog. So bear with me while I get adjusted...*sigh*

Anyway, Vogue 8840 is done and I have some so-so pictures to share. 



Stats ~
Fabric:
A double sided ponte from Fabric Mart

Notions:
Silver clasp from Pacific Trimmings

First though a little construction information.  The pattern alterations I made are in the proceeding post. Otherwise, this was an easy sew. I did check the pattern instructions but since I've altered the pattern to make it a jacket instead of a top, I didn't follow them exactly.

The facings that were added to the jacket needed a little extra work to keep them from flipping out.  Besides edge stitching the back facing, I added topstitching to the neck, center fronts and hemlines of the sweater jacket. Then I stitched in the ditch, in the center back seam and both shoulder seams, to prevent the facings from flipping out.



I also decided to make two design changes from the amazing jackets that Nikki made. The first was to add a closure at the neckline and the second was to add pockets which I liked until I saw the pictures of me wearing the sweater jacket.

Since the construction was relatively simple, I took no pictures of the process. But I did take a few pictures of how I made the tabs to add the silver clasp closure to the jacket front.



I cut a strip 14" long by 3" wide. Flipped the back over and pressed the sides to the middle. I added two rows of stitching on either side of the tab. Then I added a decorative stitch (Stitch #106 on Janome MC 8900) down the center of the tab.


I cut the strip in half. Folded it back an inch on both strips and looped it around the bar of the closure. Pinned the tab down onto the jacket.


Pinned both tabs onto the jacket front.


Stitched it flat using my zipper foot to get close to the bar. Also added a few hand stitches in there to insure that the tabs were secure. This is the feature I love the most about the jacket.

Some more pictures ~



As I said previously, I realized that I hated the pockets on the jacket.  They are too high and poorly attached so I removed them.  


Have to settle for the revised sweater jacket on Lulu 
because the sun went down!

You can see the back seam with a little topstitching 
added to give the back some definition.

Don't know if I'm going to add the pockets back or not...part of me liked having them on the jacket which is unusual since I'm not a pocket girl at all. So I'll see since I still have the pockets. 

One more thing, this is one comfortable sweater cardigan. It's soft and warm and I'm sure it will get a lot of wear this winter. I would really like to make another one with a few adjustments. I just don't know when I'll get to it since I have so many things I want to sew this winter!

...as always more later!



30 comments:

  1. It looks great and I really like the clasp. Pacific Trimming has some great hardware. I didn't mind the pockets at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's freezing here so that jacket looks unbelievably cozy. The clasp is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like ti without the pockets. Great sweater jacket otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great longline jacket. Looks warm and stylish. LOVE that clasp. I am not big on decorating too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sweater jacket! Love the closure and think you made the right decision in removing the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful jacket! It looks chic and comfy.
    I used to take my kids to see the decorated houses when they were little. I'm just not interested in standing in the cold to put up lights. It takes so long just to get the tree up and decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the clasp and the jacket. I think you made the right decision about the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same on the Christmas decorating. I wish I could do an I Dream of Jeannie wink and *poof* done!

    Love the jacket. I like it with the pockets but I get it if they're too high up. That's just annoying.

    The fabric looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice sweater jacket. My thinking on Christmas decorating is only put up as much as your willing to take down. That has adjusted my holiday decorating down quite a bitl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this jacket - especially the comfort factor, the length, and that beautiful clasp. I personally do not like the pockets you had just because they took away from the sleekness of the original design. Maybe you could add pockets to the side seams inside? Just a thought... I know it will be great with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I *love* the buckle detail! This looks so lovely & so wearable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the jacket is gorgeous. What do you think of welt pockets? Two things I particularly like on the original are the contrast color at the cuff and the 1" topstitch around the neck. All your makes are inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the jacket. You are such an inspiration. I would lower the pockets with a slanted or curved top. I find patch pockets awkward when they are accessed straight down from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great jacket! I like pockets. They're just so handy. I think they would look good lower though, so good call. Maybe pin them on and take another pic of yourself and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a really great jacket. If fits you beautifully and I love the silver clasp detail. I bet you will get loads of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a attractive (and comfy) sweater.

    I couldn't help but notice the art behind you and the tree. I just saw the Archibald Motley show at LACMA yesterday. Is that a Motley print behind you?
    http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/archibald-motley-jazz-age-modernist

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great jacket, it's stylish yet looks so comfortable! I love the clasp detail, and I appreciate your tutorial on attaching the clasp to the jacket. I agree with you on the pockets, they look a bit high on the jacket. But it's reassuring to know that even you, my sewing idol, has to rework occasionally to achieve perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice sweater jacket. I love the clasp detail and the color of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like this jacket and what perfect fabric. I just purchased this pattern, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like this jacket on you. I LOVE pockets. Maybe you could hide them in the side seams for a more sleek look. Or, perhaps welt pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice and that clasp is wonderful. Details like that make it looks so higher quality RTW. Great work, once again, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's gorgeous! I really love the silver clasp closure :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this jacket and the closure detail really makes it special. I agree it looks better without the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so cozy and nice!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like that closure detail, Carolyn! Nice jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful jacket and I love the closure too. Thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cool jacket. Love the buckle detail. Like it a lot better without the pockets. I vote for no pockets at all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think I'm going to call you "Queen of Cardigans" from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails