Thursday, December 18, 2014

2014 Misses

...or the garments of 2014 that just didn't turn out as I imagined they would or that wore horribly even though they photographed well.

Now with that as a sub-title, let's just get to it. I don't have five misses only three so here they are ~

First up is The Optical Illusion Dress ~



A comment left on this post about the fit at the back of my dresses made me look for an alternate solution to this problem. Ultimately ending up in me using the four back piece method for future dresses but that's not the reason that this dress is making the miss list. I've worn the dress twice and the bias pieces on the side are starting to bag out...even though I tried to protect this from happening...it happened anyway.  This one is going in the donation bag - not worth altering - not worth keeping.

The Side to Side Border Print Dress ~



I've made it a policy to share the good, the bad and the ugly in my sewing here on the blog. I shared this dress and even it wore it out in public because there were some details about the dress that I really liked. However, the execution didn't work out exactly as I planned it...specifically carrying the border print all the way around the dress. My first thought was to see if there was some way to save the dress for next season. However, with the weight loss, I need to move on. Although I will use the exposed zipper on the front for a future garment - it was a really cool element - this one will also hit the donation bag.

The Pieced Four Gore Skirt ~



Why did I think I would wear two totally different patterns together? Seriously? This skirt is not something that I would wear to work, so why did I sew it? I think I really just didn't want the polka dot linen to hit the scrap basket and reside there for forever. Since separates are my friends now, I'm not adding it to the donation pile. I think I'm just going to remove the printed layer on the bottom and add a black layer which will make it work wearable.

I think because I sewed a lot of basics at the beginning of the year, I have fewer misses.  Also sewing less...adds to that too. I won't have too many more posts between now and the end of the year...and to be honest, I will probably be taking a blogging break from DSF starting at the end of the year. So enjoy the last couple of posts...and I'll see you when I see you!



25 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn,
    I think those three garments look lovely - sorry to see them go to the donation bag!
    Enjoy your break and I will look out for further postings.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes think we all push on with making something that should be discontinued in the early stages - when that little voice says, this won't work, and the big voice says I'm going to make it work. The little voice is usually right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this post. This is the reason you are such a great blogger; your honesty.

    Yeah, sometimes it's just better to pull what you can and ditch the rest. Lessons have value but they cost something?

    I love that optical plaid; I still STILL haven't cut into my yardage of that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your honesty and will miss reading your blog. Have a great Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that is not too bad for the wonderful things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only three misses in a whole year of sewing? I'm sure they were beautifully made even if they were not what you hoped for. Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and hope you will be back next year with more lovely inspiration garments. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny that you consider your side to side dress one of your few misses because it was one of my favorites! I thought it was an inspiration to use a border print sideways like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your misses.

    Enjoy your break and please come back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hard to believe these are your misses, as when you were sewing them, they all seemed like winners!!Take a break and enjoy some "you" time... and especially enjoy your Christmas holidays with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The side to side border print is one of my favorite things that you made this year. It was really inspiring. I can understand the need to move on from it though. Enjoy a well deserved blog break, and we will see you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the border print dress, too! At the end of the day though, if you're not happy with it, it's your opinion that matters the most.

    Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that skirt, but I understand how it might be hard to style well. Really your 3 misses aren't too bad!! :) Enjoy your break and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shame these are misses for you. I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Send me that border print dress! :) I love that fabric so much!

    Fantastic that you had so few misses. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy time with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that you will donate your dresses as someone will truly appreciate them. I always loved the look of the Optical Illusion dress. Sorry the bias is not behaving well. I really like the print skirt and glad though you will find a fix to make it stay in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked the border print dress as I thought placing the border side to side was very clever and the colors look so pretty on you. However, you must be happy with it. Whoever receives that dress will be very lucky. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like that you are going to salvage the skirt, adding the black layer will hopefully make it a bit more wardrobe cohesive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like that optical illusion dress. Enjoy your break and I look forward to seeing your blog...when I see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I beg you to turn the optical illusion dress into a skirt? The print is too fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Merry Christmas to you, Carolyn! Big hug from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved both your hits and these (near)misses. The optical illusion frock is so beautiful - would it be too much work to interface the bias sections on grain to make them behave?
    Best wishes for a happy, miss-free, productive 2015 sewing year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carolyn I miss your blogs! Hope you are just taking a break and not ill.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed checking in to see what you were working on and reading your words of wisdom and learning about your projects until all of a sudden I had to stop cold turkey! I hope that you are relishing your time away from the blog and that you didn't have too much snow this week and that you'll return to the blogosphere after a well deserved break. You are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carolyn, I've been lurking on your blog for a couple of years. I'm a newbie sewist and I can't tell you how helpful your blog has been to me. The information is always straightforward and yet expansive. I miss my weekly sewing lesson..:) I also know how much work maintaining a blog can be, but you are missed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails