Sunday, December 14, 2014

Top Five of 2014

Well we're rolling up on the end of the year and the look backs are starting.  I will be on vacation at the end of the year and will be looking forward and not back so I decided to do my reviews early this year.  Last year I did a Top 5 Hits of 2013 but not a Top 5 Misses...however, this year I will do both.

This post contains the Top 5 Hits...but first a little back story.  I started this year sewing a lot of basics. I've sewn so many pieces and felt that the basics were underrepresented in my closet, so January and February's sewing was all about "The Basics."

I also sewed less this year than in years past. I'm sure for a variety of reasons but mostly because I already own so much. With all of the backstory now told, let me present my Top 5 Hits for 2014 in chronological order.

Number One ~ The Painted Wool Herringbone Dress



This one made the list for two reasons - it's made from my TNT dress pattern and from a treasured piece of fabric that I've had for years. I also really like the leather strips on the side. I will be altering this one for the smaller me because it was really warm and comfortable to wear last winter.

Number Two ~ The Vogue 8995 Dress



Making this dress was a labor of love and such a fulfilling sew. I had a vision of what I wanted the dress to look like and I brought it to fruition. Miles and miles of white piping gave this dress the definition that makes it so distinctive. I'm hoping that since it was a snug fit last spring that it will still be wearable next.  We shall see.

Number Three ~ #fatquarterchallengedress



I thought that this challenge would break me. I really wasn't sure that I would be able to make the fat quarters given to me work. Especially since I added the bit about the dress had to be able to be worn to work - pressure anyone? So, the fact that the dress was finished, able to be worn, and complimented on when I wore it was a definite win...making it worthy to be on this list!

Number Four ~ is a tie! Butterick 5821 - the Summer Version 



I love linen and the combination of solid white linen and black polka dot linen made it perfect for work. It was also one of the first dresses that I used the new four piece back pieces on so the back fit was on point. I love how it gently fell over my curves and removed the "ill-fitting" pool of fabric in the back. Y'all know that I was neither here nor there on that but popular opinion is that it should be gone. I'm really thinking about a winter version of this dress but I have to see if I have time to get to it.

The Tri-Color Ponte Dress ~



This is one of my new, closer-fitting dresses because of my weight loss. This "interpretation" is based upon a St. John dress that I found online and loved. I chose a bright color as the basis of my interpretation because I own way too many black pieces of clothing and I wanted something vibrant and fresh. I've lost a few more pounds since this picture was taken but I'm sure it will work next spring.

The final piece is not a dress but McCalls 6844 - The Cardigan.



This is the first of many cardigans from this pattern. Initially I was wary that since there isn't a closure on the front that it would be difficult to wear but this sailed through my workday...so definitely will be making more. I already have an idea for a dress and jacket combo using the peplum version...now to get it out of my head and into my closet.

This is my list. Mostly dresses but hey that's mostly what I sew. To review any of my other makes from 2014 - you can see them all in the tab marked "2014 Projects" at the top of the blog.  Can't wait to see what others put on their lists...

...as always more later!



25 comments:

  1. The Vogue 8995 Dress is one of my all time favorites of yours- sooo elegant & amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all beautiful! I especially love your tri-colour ponte dress. And the cardigan, TDF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your tri-color ponte is my favorite too. Congratulations on your weight loss. You are looking great! ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your dresses are beautiful but my favorite is the tri-color ponte. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you went for it with the cardigan. It looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dresses, I love them all.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dresses and cardigan are beautiful! I love seeing what you sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them all, but...loooook Polka Dots! I get so tired of all the 'ten best' lists of the year in movies and books, but these are definitely worthy top five material!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful picks there. Great garments. Must confess a softness toward the fat quarter dress. That is so special I think. Really lovely and different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great top 5! I love the purple colour block one myself. You look great with the weight loss too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All lovely! I like the first dress best but all garments are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always loved the fat quarter dress and how you made it work. The tri color ponte knit dress is one of my favorites and I have to say I want to make a version of that one for me. Enjoy your end of year sewing time, I will have some also and hope to make several garments during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great top 5 Carolyn! I love, love that fat quarter dress, it's so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tri-color ponte dress is my favorite thing you made this year, with the McCalls cardigan being a close second. Thank you for so much inspiration this past year! Your blog is a real joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love them all. Love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the mint vogue is particularly gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful top fives! My favorite is Vogue 8995 because of the lovely piping detail!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It’s funny that a second look at your top 5 are eye-opening. These are masterpieces, especially the last two. You look stunning. Inspires me to try these patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, great Blog, I really appreciate your thought process and having it explained properly, thank you!

    Geminy Sewing Machine

    ReplyDelete
  20. they are all beautiful! I love the idea of the dress/jacket combo, can't wait to see it! I know what you mean about getting things outta your head, I have a closet full of things "in my head" lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect choices! I'm so glad your cardigan made the top 5- it's so sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous showcase of your craftsmanship and talent! Each and every piece is so special and unique, Carolyn! BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all of these! You have this amazing eye for making high-fashion looks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with everyone that mentioned the Vogue Mint dress. Not only does it compliment you very well but it also embodies the outlined/piped seam color block trend of 2014. It is truly stunning in conjunction with your shape and skin tone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails