Thursday, March 05, 2015

Vogue 7632 - The Skirt

Classic separates are seriously going to be my friend as I update my wardrobe. However, unlike my previous attempts at sewing my own wardrobe, I want statement separates...pieces that have a little sumthin' sumthin'...that have more details on them or where the fabric speaks loudly. Because unlike past sews, my basics still work due to elastic waistlines...this frees me to experiment and change things up a little. 

In the picture below I'm wearing the skirt with a bodysuit that I bought back in the late '80s/early '90s.



Some stats ~
Fabric:
Polyester brocade purchased from Fabric Mart last fall

Notions:
9" invisible black zipper
red rayon seam binding
1/2" black button
waistband interfacing from Nancy's Notions
red bemberg lining

Construction ~
This is not a difficult skirt to sew.  The pattern instructions were very easy to follow which I needed, to make sure I put the pleat inserts in correctly. I love how they release at the bottom of the skirt, giving it movement yet it has a close fitting silhouette.


Before sewing the pleat inserts onto the skirt front, I basted the skirt front and back together to check the fit on me and I have to say that I was impressed with the fit...too bad there was no one around to take a picture! *LOL*

So a few things:
- the fabric raveled like crazy
- the pattern doesn't call for a lining but I added a short one...ending above the pleats. I probably should have underlined the fabric with a silk organza to help with wrinkling...since it wrinkles easily.


- the lining hem is turned under 1/2" and machine stitched then basted to the wrong side of the skirt front. The center back seam is handstitched to the zipper tape.


- the rayon seam binding was folded in half and pressed. Then I machine stitched it to the skirt hem. The final hem was hand stitched down. However, pressing the hem in place proved challenging. I think I should have paid closer attention to the pattern instructions ~ even though eventually I got it to work!


- the waistband has a button closure. I added red thread to the button as a cute touch. I wanted to show a close up of the waistband to share that I made two buttonholes but only had enough space for one button. See even I make mistakes.

Here is how I styled this skirt for a more casual look...




If you want to make your own version of the skirt since my pattern is OOP. You can try one of these:




Also, my pattern is available on Etsy and Ebay if you want the actual skirt - don'tcha just love the internet!

One last shot...I know that this is a picture heavy post but its been snowing since before I woke up this morning. The newscasters are predicting about 8-10" of snow today so my daughter and I took a couple of pictures on the patio. Here's one...

Yeah that's snow swirling around me and what I'm standing in!



41 comments:

  1. I love this look, and the red looks soooo good with a snowy background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say this post is picture heavy, but why not, skirt looks good-inside and out!

    LOLs on keeping the body suit since the eighties, you sound like me, I work with people who are younger than some of my handbags and jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pic of you in the snow makes me shiver! Love how the skirt turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Caroline! Your outfit is gorgeous! But you are even more gorgeous! You look terrific! :) Isn't it fun to start a whole new wardrobe? ~Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great. That fabric is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful skirt and beautiful you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your journey. I've bwnn 'waiting til I lose a few pounds' to go sew clothes. Clearly I just need to get out in my sewing room and make something! Your skirt looks great. I love it with your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - even when I weighed more I believe that you should sew for the size you are. It just makes you feel better when you have pretty things to wear. So I hope you really do get in your sewing room and sew something amazing! And thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
    2. I so agree. If you feel good in what you wear it is such a lift.

      Delete
  8. If you used this fabric for a jacket it wouldn't be half as versatile. This can go lots of places depending on how you style it. Beautiful skirt and I love the pleats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great skirt and I love to see you venturing into these separates "with attitude". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely skirt and congrats on the weight loss you LOOKING GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty fabric , made up so well !!! I love the pleats they really add extra style to the skirt !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very stylish skirt and love those pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice skirt. Just the right amount of red :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That skirt is beautiful! Might be my favorit garment you've made. I love separates!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah. What a winner! I really love this and the outfit is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great skirt Carolyn, it looks really nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You betta werk Carolyn, yessssss!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore that skirt! I can't wait to see the separates you'll be sewing because I'm sure they will be very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a great eye for finding really beautiful pieces of fabric and I really like the idea of rebuilding your wardrobe with really special pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Très bel ensemble, jolie jupe et très beau tissu! finitions très jolies aussi, bravo. Belle journée

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you got to enjoy a little of our Seattle spring before having to deal with another round of snow--and I love seeing sewing that matches your (non-corporate) personality!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful results love the fabric choice. I always stick to plains. after seeing this maybe its about time I adventured to patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The skirt looks so good on you. Love your posts. They inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the post. I love the body suit styling. When will this winter end!? It was -25 degrees celsius yesterday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love a statement piece- a little pop piece makes me feel awesome- this is a great shape on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. the skirt turned out beautiful, I have a few patterns that have pleats & beautiful touches here & there but they still scare me lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful skirt! Dontcha just love all this snow? (Kidding... and not kidding... I can't decide!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm done with the snow...so over it! Just can't wait for spring to arrive.

      Delete
  28. I just love how your are embracing sewing separates with a twist! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  29. That skirt is beautiful! Just so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous skirt - love those pleats. Great styling with the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness Ms. Carolyn, that skirt is definitely fabulous! Red is definitely your color too! Gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OK, your sewjo is SO inspiring!!! I love this! The pleat detail is super, super cool, and you look straight up spicy in red! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails