In the picture below I'm wearing the skirt with a bodysuit that I bought back in the late '80s/early '90s.
Some stats ~
Polyester brocade purchased from Fabric Mart last fall
9" invisible black zipper
red rayon seam binding
1/2" black button
waistband interfacing from Nancy's Notions
red bemberg lining
This is not a difficult skirt to sew. The pattern instructions were very easy to follow which I needed, to make sure I put the pleat inserts in correctly. I love how they release at the bottom of the skirt, giving it movement yet it has a close fitting silhouette.
Before sewing the pleat inserts onto the skirt front, I basted the skirt front and back together to check the fit on me and I have to say that I was impressed with the fit...too bad there was no one around to take a picture! *LOL*
So a few things:
- the fabric raveled like crazy
- the pattern doesn't call for a lining but I added a short one...ending above the pleats. I probably should have underlined the fabric with a silk organza to help with wrinkling...since it wrinkles easily.
- the lining hem is turned under 1/2" and machine stitched then basted to the wrong side of the skirt front. The center back seam is handstitched to the zipper tape.
- the rayon seam binding was folded in half and pressed. Then I machine stitched it to the skirt hem. The final hem was hand stitched down. However, pressing the hem in place proved challenging. I think I should have paid closer attention to the pattern instructions ~ even though eventually I got it to work!
- the waistband has a button closure. I added red thread to the button as a cute touch. I wanted to show a close up of the waistband to share that I made two buttonholes but only had enough space for one button. See even I make mistakes.
Here is how I styled this skirt for a more casual look...
If you want to make your own version of the skirt since my pattern is OOP. You can try one of these:
Also, my pattern is available on Etsy and Ebay if you want the actual skirt - don'tcha just love the internet!
One last shot...I know that this is a picture heavy post but its been snowing since before I woke up this morning. The newscasters are predicting about 8-10" of snow today so my daughter and I took a couple of pictures on the patio. Here's one...
Yeah that's snow swirling around me and what I'm standing in!