Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Expo

I ended up flying into Seattle last Friday, spending all day at Expo on Saturday, and sewing with Gaylen in her amazing sewing room all day Sunday.  Flew home early Monday and all I can say about the weekend is that it was AWESOME!

Truly I'm biased because attending The Expo at Puyallup was one of my sewing bucket list items and to actually get to go and spend quality time with some amazing sewists...it meant a lot to me!  

First a picture of the crew...

Gaylen (Gmarie), Malora (birdandbicycles), 
Niema (Wearable Muslin) and Melizza (Pincushion Treats)

We rode up from Seattle to Puyallup with Gaylen driving.  We spent the entire day together ~ the entire day that was filled with alot of laughs.  We decided together what to see, when to eat, and where to go. You ladies were just awesome to spend the day with ~ seriously! You put up with me being mobbed, with me losing bags, meeting sewing celebrities, and ditching you to go talk and take some pictures with others ~ y'all were truly ride and die sewing chicks ~ and I truly appreciate each of you letting me join in the fun!

We took no classes...just walked the exhibit halls and shopped! Oh and I met a few people...

Patti Palmer and her daughter Melissa Watson in the Palmer/Pletsch booth

Dana Bontager from Dana Marie Patterns and me
(I have to admit I did a little fangirling with Dana!)

Kathy Marrone, Vogue Pattern Magazine Editor working in the 
The McCalls Pattern Company booth which was mobbed
every time I walked/stopped by!

A few sewing bloggers...

Me and my former Mood Sewing Network Sister
Amy of Sew Well


Me and Shams - who I haven't seen in person in about 3 years!

...bought a little fabric...



Yes the Pendleton Wool booth and the Marcy Tilton booths made me lose my mind and plop my credit card down for some amazing beauties.  Now these precious beauties are in the hands of Fedex (thank you Gaylen!) and as soon as they arrive I will share more about them. I know I said in my last post that I wouldn't be buying much fabric this year and I can honestly say that these will be some of my last purchases for awhile.  Not only did I get 8 amazing pieces but I got some bemberg lining and trimmings too because there was no way to go to Expo and not bring something home! Personally I think I showed great restraint since I wanted half of Marcy's booth!

That was Saturday.  Sunday I spent in Gaylen's sewing room helping her finish off a couple of projects and work on a new one.

First a few pictures of her amazing sewing room and a link to her post on her new fabric closet...

This the view that Gaylen has when she sits down to sew

Gaylen's cutting table and a view of the far end of the sewing room

The thing I loved the most about Gaylen's sewing room were the large windows and the sliding glass door in her walkout basement. The room was well organized, comfortable, and easy to sew in for two people. Hopefully, Gaylen will share her sewing room reorganization on her blog soon...as well as...the dress she's working on in the picture.

May I say yet again what an AWESOME weekend I had! It had the right combination of everything that makes my heart sing. I came back inspired and ready to sew. Now if my daughter would just have that last baby I can spend some quality time in my sewing cave! *LOL*

If you follow me on Instagram, I apologize in advance for the duplication of pictures...cause I documented each thing as it happened...although I think I included a few new pics here. Also, the photo quality is a little dicey because these pics were all taken on my iPad or iPhone - I left the Canon at home.

Like I said, I'm soooooo inspired now and most of the new fabric isn't even going on the shelves. I have plans for it and they will be showing up on the blog sooner rather than later! If you get the chance to attend Expo, I highly recommend that you go!




46 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend. Nothing like spending time with like minded people to set the juices going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That non-stop grin says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh sounds like so much fun! And thanks for putting some faces to names and blogs that I love to read. Can not wait to see what you have planned for some of that fabric.

    Jacqui (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness…It sounds like you had a wonderfully amazing trip. How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun!! You were quite restrained with your purchases as their would have been so much candy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you to have gone to Puyallap and so very envious. Love Gaylen's sewing room, so organized!!! Lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a great time, even if you were restrained in fabric purchases. If you decide not to use the one second from the bottom of the spread out pile I will happily take it off your hands! Can't wait to see what you have planned with your new fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun and I'm in so much envy! How nice to get away from high pressure jobs and family (even though we love the family) and do something just for you! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great weekend for you! Glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad one of my favorite sewing bloggers - that would be you - had a chance to visit us here in the Upper Left-hand Corner (or the Other Washington).

    I can't wait to see what you do with the giant floral from Marci's booth. I bought a yard of it with absolutely no plan in mind, but just because it makes me smile every time I look at it. It has EVERY one of my fave colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great weekend, I should say perfect weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was such a pleasure meeting you and seeing how many people your blog has touched. And bonus, you're a hoot! And thanks again for that lovely watercolor fabric. I've been petting it every since, wondering what to make with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so lovely to meet you! Thanks for the laughs and the fun!

      Delete
  13. Soooo l glad you had a wonderful time. You must come out this way again. Must. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a great time! Glad you were able to get away and cross the expo off your sewing bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of all the fun things in this post, I am most envious that you got to hang out with Melizza. I had the pleasure of meeting her in Edinburgh and seeing her face in your photo made me grin. She is so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melizza is pretty awesome and it was wonderful to meet her!

      Delete
  16. So glad you had fun and shared it with us!! Looking forward to hearing about the new fabric purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gaylen came here for Thanksgiving a couple of years back, and she is delightful! Looks like it was a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful weekend! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your purchases are very pretty - can't wait to see what you make !!!
    I could have bought everything in Marcy Tilton booth 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't she have amazing fabric!?! My other sewing bucket list thing to actually shop at the ArtBarn where she houses her fabric collection. Wouldn't that be awesome!

      Delete
  20. I have to agree that Marci Tilton's fabric was fantastic! I bought three pieces; haven't cut anything out yet but found a cute LoriAnne jacket pattern that will look great. Looks like you had a marvelous weekend....and I absolutely love that sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds like so much fun - how great that you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful to meet you! Oh my gosh you made me laugh so much! I hope we get the chance to visit again, with or without our tiny mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get to meet again too! I had so much fun with you guys - you were definitely why Expo was so much fun!!! And it's inches baby - inches! *LOL*

      Delete
  23. How did I miss that botanical print in Marcy's????? Well, my loss, your gain. We did our best to have sunshine for you, and hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I give up. Would you be so kind as to give out any information from that floral from the selvage?

      Delete
    2. I checked the selvage edge and it only has the color registration. I also checked Marcy's site and I didn't see it there either. So sorry! What day did you go to Expo?

      Delete
    3. Thursday. I really am trying not to buy any more fabric, so I only prowled the edges of Tilton's shelves. Thanks for looking; this just may not be meant to be. I'm old enough to be okay with that.

      Delete
  24. I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had! It was a blast hosting you and you are welcome any time. I think you should stop calling your space "the Cave" and start calling it 'The Workroom'. I would love a detailed post of what basics you keep on hand and how to take the leap from beginner to advanced beginner or intermediate. I'm kinda stuck and beginner ;) Loved spending the day with you and the girls! all of them - including the new friends. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about the Workroom Cave? *LOL* I'm so grateful that you encouraged me to come because it was a perfect weekend! I'm almost sure that I've written posts about what I stock in the sewing room - but I will see if I can cobble something together. Yes, I shouldn't forget Amy and Jinju!

      Delete
  25. It was wonderful meeting you! Your purchases are beautiful, I am glad you had such an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bought quite a bit of fabric too! Meeting the Tilton sisters in their booth was a fangirl experience for me! Also meeting some amazing bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tiltons booth was the "hotspot" of the Expo! I saw Gretchen there. I met a few of Marcy's team and then of course there was the fabric! The awesomely amazing fabric!

      Delete
  27. I also would love some advice to make the leap from advanced beginner to intermediate !!! What is the content of the white lace ?
    My nephew visited us a few years ago when I was calling my room the sewing room - he kept calling it the sewing studio so now I call it the sewing studio - his 14 yr old words have stuck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lace is a stretch lace. I bought it to make a boxy top from and to wear a cami under it. Like I told Gaylen, I will try to put something together to post.

      Delete
  28. Wow, what a great weekend! You met some awesome peeps! And your fabric purchases- drool!!! I especially love the fruit print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S. isn't that fruit print just awesome! It's a summer skirt for sure! I can't wait for summer to arrive so that I can sew some of my summer fabrics.

      Delete
  29. It was awesome to meet you, Carolyn. I haven't had that much fun in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niema - it was fantastic to meet you too! You are soooooo pretty in person. Please, please, please take better blog pictures so that everyone can see how beautiful you actually are!

      Delete
  30. That expo is on my list too--thanks for writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The expo has just made my bucket list. This is the first year I've really wanted to go. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails