...and it hit me that I could make that to wear to work now. Just add some sleeves (cause it is a little chilly outside) and wear it over a pair of slim pants or even leggings. This would work!
I already knew that I would use my TNT dress pattern shortened to tunic length for this top. So the next stop was the fabric collection where I found the perfect Armani red wool blend for this top! I pulled some red rayon bemberg for lining, a red invisible zipper, and I was all set. Seriously, nothing was bought to make this top. It all came from the collection! Yes!!!
The Supplies ~
Red wool blend is Giorgio Armani fabric that I bought from Fabric Mart years ago. Yes, more sewing from the collection!
22" red invisible zipper
Red rayon bemberg lining
Red rayon seam binding
Red rayon piping
Pattern Alterations ~
Since I want to make more tunics, I made permanent pattern pieces from my TNT dress pattern.
I even altered the sleeve because it's just a little too wide in the bicep area (woohoo! can't believe I typed that!) The alterations were more about shortening the pattern than anything else.
A Little Construction Information ~
Again I've made this top/dress/tunic so many times that sewing the tunic was easy. However I made a few design changes to my tunic that are not a part of the Valentino top.
- I added long sleeves
- Used a center front seam for the tunic front to add shaping
- Added red piping to the neckline
- Added red piping to the sleeve hems
- Used a hem facing on the sleeve hems to cover the piping since the sleeves are unlined.
Once the lining was added, I machine stitched the hem. The tunic was hemmed using hem tape and hand hemming it.
To make the bow I used a rectangle that was 4" wide and 60" long. I cut it from the fashion fabric and the lining fabric. I came up with those measurements after measuring the width of my shoulder seam since the bow has to fit on the shoulder and then hang down the back.
Just when I thought it was okay, I realized that I didn't really like the bow. It won't fit under a cardi or topper and it's a little impractical for this job. So I ended up not putting it on the tunic.
A Few More Pics ~
I photographed the tunic with leggings and with the black ponte skirt I made recently.
Tunic with Leggings
Tunic with black ponte skirt
Originally I started working on this to wear to my Company's Holiday Party. Instead I caught an awful cold and didn't sew at all before Christmas. This was the first piece I worked on during my Christmas Break. So even though I'm blogging about it in 2016, it was one of my last garments made in 2015.
I like that the Valentino top inspired me to make this tunic. However, with all designer inspired pieces, you have to sew what works with your lifestyle. This as is will work well now and fit into my Chicos Chic wardrobe plan!
...as always more later!