This is version number five for this pattern which is now out-of-print. It is also my first sew of 2016. I need this cardigan for two reasons. One, its turned seasonably cold here in the Tri-State area. I say seasonably because December was unseasonably warm and now the temps are back to normal. Since I sit near the front door at work, my back is always a little chilly. This will keep me warm during the colder temps.
The second reason is because after a week at home sewing complicated things, I needed something easy to sew...something I'd sewn before...something that would be done in an afternoon. I'd pulled this fabric out of the coating & heavy sweater knits bins, currently stored in the garage, earlier this fall. As I was taking down the Christmas decorations, it spoke to me...so I had to comply.
The Supplies ~
Wool/lycra blend knit purchased from Fabric Mart years and years ago!
Lightweight Fusible Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply
Pattern Alterations & Construction ~
The last time I made this was in the spring of 2013. Of course there was a little more of me then so I made a few alterations. The main one was to the sleeve. For some reason I couldn't find my altered sleeve pattern, so I made a new one. I made a pattern sandwich using the original sleeve pattern, the one I'm currently using on my TNT dress and a piece of tracing paper. Since the TNT dress sleeve pattern has been recently altered using the Palmer & Pletsch method, I knew it would be fine. I just needed to get the sleeve cap and bicep measurements right.
The side seams were sewn a little wider than the 5/8" recommended by the pattern. I also included a back seam to make the cardigan fit a little better. It still has a slightly loose look but I'm good with that! So other than the fact that there was ALOT of pressing and clapper usage to get all of those seams flat, it was an easy sew. I mean this is the fifth time making it!
However, I did have one challenge. The fabric was soooooo thick that I had some issues making buttonholes. Even after I'd pulled these pretty little green glassy type buttons from the stash to use on the cardi front, I ended up omitting them because I killed my sewing machine. Yeap, my 8900 is on the way to the shop.
Anywoo, I attempted to make the buttonholes on my Janome 6600P but it just wasn't having it. After trying the cardigan on, I decided that I would go ahead and wear it without the buttons. Later once my machine is back, I can make buttonholes or I can take the cardi to the buttonholers in NYC. Thanks Gaylen for reminding me of that!
Some photos of the cardigan in action ~
This cardigan will be perfect for the cold weather. It works with my leggings, looks stylish and Chico's Chic. Yeah, this is my new buzzword to describe my work wardrobe. So even though this was my last sew of the Christmas Break, I'm featuring it on the blog first. In an amazing coincidence, Shams interlined her new Minoru jacket with the same fabric I used for my cardi. I guess this is what happens when different sewists collect the same fabric! However, both pieces will be used to keep us warm.
I made five items during the Christmas Break. They will be appearing here soon, so stay tuned. Finally this was also one of the last garments we photographed on Sunday and as usual I was starting to get a little goofy by that time.
So here are a couple of those pictures ~
...as always more later!