Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Butterick 5790 - A Sweater Cardigan

This is version number five for this pattern which is now out-of-print. It is also my first sew of 2016. I need this cardigan for two reasons. One, its turned seasonably cold here in the Tri-State area. I say seasonably because December was unseasonably warm and now the temps are back to normal. Since I sit near the front door at work, my back is always a little chilly. This will keep me warm during the colder temps. 

The second reason is because after a week at home sewing complicated things, I needed something easy to sew...something I'd sewn before...something that would be done in an afternoon.  I'd pulled this fabric out of the coating & heavy sweater knits bins, currently stored in the garage, earlier this fall. As I was taking down the Christmas decorations, it spoke to me...so I had to comply.


The Supplies ~
Wool/lycra blend knit purchased from Fabric Mart years and years ago!
Lightweight Fusible Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply
Stay Tape

Pattern Alterations & Construction ~
The last time I made this was in the spring of 2013. Of course there was a little more of me then so I made a few alterations. The main one was to the sleeve. For some reason I couldn't find my altered sleeve pattern, so I made a new one. I made a pattern sandwich using the original sleeve pattern, the one I'm currently using on my TNT dress and a piece of tracing paper. Since the TNT dress sleeve pattern has been recently altered using the Palmer & Pletsch method, I knew it would be fine. I just needed to get the sleeve cap and bicep measurements right.

The side seams were sewn a little wider than the 5/8" recommended by the pattern.  I also included a back seam to make the cardigan fit a little better. It still has a slightly loose look but I'm good with that! So other than the fact that there was ALOT of pressing and clapper usage to get all of those seams flat, it was an easy sew. I mean this is the fifth time making it!


However, I did have one challenge.  The fabric was soooooo thick that I had some issues making buttonholes. Even after I'd pulled these pretty little green glassy type buttons from the stash to use on the cardi front, I ended up omitting them because I killed my sewing machine. Yeap, my 8900 is on the way to the shop. 

Anywoo, I attempted to make the buttonholes on my Janome 6600P but it just wasn't having it. After trying the cardigan on, I decided that I would go ahead and wear it without the buttons. Later once my machine is back, I can make buttonholes or I can take the cardi to the buttonholers in NYC. Thanks Gaylen for reminding me of that!

Some photos of the cardigan in action ~





Conclusion ~
This cardigan will be perfect for the cold weather. It works with my leggings, looks stylish and Chico's Chic. Yeah, this is my new buzzword to describe my work wardrobe. So even though this was my last sew of the Christmas Break, I'm featuring it on the blog first. In an amazing coincidence, Shams interlined her new Minoru jacket with the same fabric I used for my cardi. I guess this is what happens when different sewists collect the same fabric!  However, both pieces will be used to keep us warm.

I made five items during the Christmas Break.  They will be appearing here soon, so stay tuned. Finally this was also one of the last garments we photographed on Sunday and as usual I was starting to get a little goofy by that time. 

So here are a couple of those pictures ~




...as always more later!


27 comments:

  1. That cardigan looks terrific on you, Carolyn! It's so fun to see your new chic style evolve.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, downtime for the main machine. Glad the cardigan survived the debacle, looks pretty swell. Chico style works pretty darn well for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Looks perfect without any buttons. Hope your machine is feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the epitome of stylish and cosy (something I have yet to master) - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it and it looks great without the buttons

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is pretty. I sold my Janome 8900 because we are selling our house and travelling via RV for a year. I kept my old Singer. It is going on the road with me. I was afraid that all the jostling, etc. Would not be good on the 8900. When we settle down again, I will get me another dream machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and warm looking cardigan. I am using a textured knit for a long sweater jacket/coat. When I did my buttonholes, I used pieces of water soluable film-Solvy-and I got nice looking buttonholes. If I had not I think my sewing machine would chew up the fabric. You might want to try that. However I think this looks great without buttons. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks very classic and chic - very minimal - without the buttons. Maybe that is what it is meant to be!! Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you mentioned Chicos as I was browsing through their latest catalog I determined that I wanted to emulate that style. Chico chic is now what I'm striving for in my style like you. Your latest cardigan hits that note perfectly and I agree that no buttons are needed. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - I like that it's casual but a little more tailored and reflective of my age. So I'm going with that!

      Delete
  10. This outfit looks great on you. Love the cardi. If I put that cardi in rotation I would never take it back out to add buttonholes. I hope you have more determination as it would look good with buttons too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made this just in the knick of time! It's so cold today! This is such a classic Carolyn style... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this cardigan Carolyn! I can use it here for the cooler temperatures in Florida right now! Actually I like it better without the buttons...I do understand it would've been more functional to have the buttons on it. However, it didn't change the beautiful look of this cardigan overall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I love seeing your work wardrobe evolve. I'm in the process of sewing some stuff for work to so its really inspiring to see your successes :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a while since I have visited your blog, and I must say, you look fabulous!!! I love the cardigan you made. It will go great with a lot of outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful sweater/cardigan/jacket. I like it without the buttons--or maybe consider a non-button closure, like toggles or?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I rather like the cardi without buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so snuggly warm! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it looks great worn open so if the buttonholes never happen don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like other comments, I think it looks nice worn open w/o buttons. If you want a closure, how about some type of clasp?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice and looks great worn open. Very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice and looks great worn open. Very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a wonderful cardigan. It looks great on you. It looks so cozy, warm and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those darn buttonholes are often a challenge. And not having your main machine, I am so right there with you.
    Sue C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails