Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Simplicity Early Spring Collection 2017

I don't own a lot of Simplicity patterns. There are several reasons for that but the two main reasons are ~ their online pattern sales aren't as good as Club BMV's and I don't visit Joanns often. Even though I'm trying to get over the grudge, the bad blood runs deep!

So the few Simplicity patterns I own have come from an infrequent online purchase, a Patternreview pattern sale or a trip to the craft store. Because I've purchased online, I'm on their mailing list. 

This popped into my email last week on my 3 hour bus ride home from NYC. Thank goodness it was my last day coming out of the city before Christmas break so I spent quality time surfing the internet.



I was impressed with their offering and will need to make a trip to the craft store to purchase the ones below. I REALLY like these especially since they speak to the "Chicos Chic" style I'm sewing now.



I saw this one - Simplicity 8303 - first and was like "YES!" See my girl, Myra, who blogs at Simple Inspirations, made a version of this using a RTW inspiration, a couple of weeks ago. I was going to copy her version but now I will make one using this pattern!


Simplicity 8297 also spoke to me because I'm always looking to add a structured top/blouse to my collection. I'm still working out what's me where a top is concerned and I really like Version B. I can just see this made up in denim and lace ~ awesome right!?!


Since it's an early spring release, I allowed myself to look at the dress patterns. I like this dress because of it's simple shape and it will look great in a denim. I can add lace, pleather, suede, etc. as the insert. Also it has a great collared jacket included and I'm all about the jacket/topper now. I wear them from December through to May when the weather finally warms up around here. So I will be owning and sewing Simplicity 8302.


The final pattern I'll purchase is the one featured in the email - Simplicity 8295. I really like the grommets and the lacing on the front. I've been wanting something like this ~ just haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully having the pattern will spur me on.

I rarely do pattern reviews now. Other bloggers do them so much better than I do and sew up the patterns faster than I do - so you get a review in real time. Too often I buy patterns and they sit for months or years before I get inspired to sew with them. However, I was so impressed with this collection, (I even liked the MimiG maxidress but don't think or haven't figured out yet if I can make it work on my plus size body) versus the recent release from McCalls which I truly thought was meh.

Have you seen the new Simplicity Patterns? What did you think of them? Or did you like the new McCalls Pattern release better?

...as always more later!  

27 comments:

  1. I am so impressed by you and your pattern choices. You have such confidence. I love pics of your finished projects and you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me what chicos chic is, please? I tried to look on the net but am really not further forward.
    I particularly like the headline dress with the ties. I see that in suede (not that I have ever sewn with suede!)
    I would love to read your reviews, even if, perhaps especially if, they are not brand new releases
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chico's is a chain of women's clothing stores, somewhat conservative. Seperates heavy, knits and wovens in fabrication. Overpriced, strange sizing. Well made garments.

      Delete
    2. "Chicos Chic" is just a term I've coined to state what my style choices are based upon. They are a woman's clothing store but I would classify their clothes as "classic" separates. I personally get a lot of inspiration from their website.

      Delete
    3. Agree with Corkpop. However, they are mostly very well made of quality fabrics. I have had shells and turtlenecks last for years with no pilling or fading. I am still wearing a brocade jacket in the denim jacket style after nearly a decade. It matches everything and is only now showing wear. Some of their things are odd/trendy, but many cross seasons and trends. Very wearable. Even with jeans I look put together.

      Delete
  3. I like Simplicity patterns, but I hate their website! And they have Burda and New Look patterns there as well! I like your choices for Spring--looks like I'll have to gird my loins and wade through the horror that is their online shopping experience. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you I mainly sew BMV patterns so I was interested to see these chosen Simplicity patterns as I dislike their website. Thanks for sharing! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the look at Simplicity patterns. I don't generally buy them for the same reasons you don't but I do like these. Do you commute 3 hours twice a day every day? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - it's normally 1.5 hrs in the morning and 2 hours in the evening but right before the Christmas holidays with all of the traffic it's ridiculous!

      Delete
    2. You commute 3.5 hours per day and still have time and energy for creating such beautiful garments?!!! Girl- you are superhuman!! (And I mean that in a good way!!)

      Delete
    3. Oh holy smokes! 3.5 hours of commuting. I better start sucking it up and sewing after work! I'm about 30-40 minutes each way, and with Christmas, it was only 20 minutes this morning.

      Delete
    4. Leigh - I don't sew after work! Egads I can't handle that...I sew on the weekends and holidays! And I don't think I sew as much as I did before taking this job since the dress code is so relaxed.

      Delete
  6. Simplicity Simplicity Simplicity, sigh, their website is so awful. It makes it difficult to look at their patterns. I did manage to give them a look but didn't really find any that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have more Simplicity patterns than anything else...a recent realization on my part, however, I have not ordered a single one from the website - they were all Jo Ann purchases. I like this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like Simplicity but I only buy them when they are on sale at JoAnn. They have some nice vintage styles too. I think you'd look great in that Mimi G. dress--especially the color blocked version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did see the Simplicity early spring release, and immediately fell in love with 8303!!!! I remembered Myra's version too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the best because of Myra's too, but it's plus so I would still need to find another pattern as inspiration. It's so cute though.

    I like a couple others but overall this one was blah for me. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you fell head over heels for the new McCalls release and I thought it was just meh!

      Delete
  11. I hadn't seen their Spring patterns yet. I love the ones you featured here. I mostly sew Simplicity and I'll definitely be buying a lot of these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like 8297. You can do the Mimi g patterns. Kellyhpsyd is also plus sized and she makes just about all of the patterns. I also think she is/used to be Mimi's assistant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the pattern because they are graded up to plus sizes, it's the style of the dress. It's pretty close-fitting and although I like it, I'm not sure I want to spend the time making it fit my body...cause we both know that no two bodies are alike.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the highlights of the spring collection! I have tons of patterns that I've purchased at Joann or Hobby Lobby sales, but have only made a few so far. I recently discovered Patternreview.com and love it! I don't think it matters how old the pattern is - the more reviews and details, the better! I used reviews of an "ancient" pattern for my son-in-law's Halloween costume that spanned several years, and found most of them helpful in one way or another. I may have to get 8297 - I have a few fabrics that I picked up with the thought of turning them into collared, button-up shirts! Happy new year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness you don't have to drive for three hours.
    I buy patterns and sit on them, and then go to PR to check out what folks have done with them (or I pick up patterns at the thrift store), so I appreciate the depth of knowledge in the reviews. And if it's a great pattern, the more's the merrier over the years.

    I've grown cold on Simplicity over the years - all those patterns look the same to me. The grommet dress (a YSL safari/Rive Gauche look) would be very annoying to put on and take off unless it's got a zip in the back as well - I would be unlacing and relacing myself about once, and then it would go in the donate pile.

    As ever, and particularly given your commute, your mileage may vary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ - the beauty of sewing is that you can add a zipper to the back if you want! And you've given me a great idea for my tunic version of this topper now. I rarely sew a pattern as it's sewn. I usually make the pattern work for me because I think of it as guideline not something that has to be followed step by step.

      ...and if I had to drive I wouldn't be able to work in NYC...I did it when I was younger but couldn't stand to do it now!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the review! I liked that grommet laceup top too. and the shirt topper one. I like layers too. My work moved us into a LEED Certified building (energy efficient) and I think that just means they didn't put in central heat. Now that it got cold I'm wearing an undershirt, a turtleneck and a topper jacket (preferably lined and underlined). Then put a coat on to go outside. I'm all about LAYERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good grief-- 2 hours to get home at night!!!! And when I was working I griped about 15 minutes, 20 in traffic. How can you stand it???

    I like your Chico's Chic approach to dressing/sewing. Have you considered, since the dress code is relaxed and you are somewhat uninspired to sew, doing things like art-to-wear tops or toppers ala some of the Vogue patterns by Koos Van whatever his name is? They are beautiful and rewarding.

    Have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails