Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Butterick 6389 - A Vest


I love these loose floaty vests and when I saw Butterick 6389, I knew I needed to add a version of this to my wardrobe.



I bought several of these boiled wools from Fabric Mart years ago. At the time I wanted to use them to make short cardigan jackets to go over dresses for the very professional job. So I was thrilled to find new life for them now.

This is a simple sew because it's a loose fitting garment. Choose your size, I used an XXL, cut it out and sewed it up. That's what I did but there was something missing. It was kinda plain.

I let it hang overnight and when I looked at it in the morning the armholes that were kinda long had grown. I'm sure it's because I didn't use the facings that are in the pattern. The facings that I saw no need for definitely had a purpose. Also, the next morning the vest seemed unnecessarily large in some areas. 

To fix this, I took the side seams in some. Then I added a fusible interfacing to the armhole seams that I turned in and stitched down. Instead of hemming the vest, I serged around the edge twice to finish. Oh one more thing, even though I cut the pocket pieces out, I sewed the vest up without them. I realized that I didn't really care if I had them or not so left them off and I never missed them when I wore this to work on Monday.

I also left the collar seam unfinished. The pattern tells you to do a french seam on the collar seam but my fabric was really thick and I just didn't feel like wrestling with it. Since I was going with an unfinished hemline, showing the unfinished collar seam just seems part of the theme.

Here is the finished vest ~





In the above picture I wore the vest with a belt to emulate the pattern envelope. I may or may not wear the belt but it does work for me. Lately I'm more casual and like the loose and flowing look better!  

This was a quick and stylish addition to my wardrobe.  Worn with a thick turtleneck or one of my cashmere sweaters, it will be warm enough for the cold days ahead. I may make a version of the turtleneck that's included in the pattern because I love turtlenecks. However, right now I have button down shirts on the mind so that's what's on my cutting table.

...as always more later!


21 comments:

  1. Chic vest. I, too, like to wear flowing vests as they can give a finished look to a simple knit top and leggings. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layering at its best...you look so cute and comfy and toasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How chic! You have incredible style! Your posts are always interesting and fun to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you say button down shirts? Gosh, I wish I could find some that fit in the stores. I've had a hankering for one for years now.--Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has a really nice look! I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Especially with the belt. It looks really cute and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I just found your blog through Blogglovin and I am thrilled to have made your acquaintance, your blog is amazing and I am so glad you share your love with us all...hope to keep reading your posts and following you on your amazing sewing journey...I especially love the oonaloona fat-quarter dress...it is beautiful..again, thanks so much, it is a pleasure. Abby

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too found you through Bloglovin. This looks like a fun pattern. I enjoyed reading your blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it belted! it looks so slimming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the right fabric, color and fit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liking both looks! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the end result! I think the vest looks fabulous with or without the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks very toasty! A great style, and it looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great vest. It makes you look thinner and taller. Not kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the vest and love easy sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have inspired me to dig out my pattern of this vest and give it a go. Love the belted look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the royal blue and the grey vest. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another gorgeous vest! This one is really stylish - love the simplicity and flow of it. We seem to be on the same page, sewing-plans-wise. I just received a great gift of lots of yards of fabrics, from my granddaughter's boyfriend's grandma, and it includes some very nice navy wool as well as some flannel ginghams, and I want to make a coat or vest from the wool and some button-up shirts, of course, from the flannels. I hope I can do close to as good a job as you do! Thanks for sharing your inspiring creations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The vest looks fantastic and I love the way you have styled it. Everytime I see a pattern like this or any one of your topper outfits to be honest, I think I must make one, but I still haven't got around to it! One day soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails