Let's Talk Materials ~
2.5 yards of a printed wool flannel purchased from Emmaonesock several seasons ago
3 yards of yellow rayon bemberg from NY Elegant Fabrics
12" invisible zipper from Pacific Trimmings
Yellow rayon seam binding
A Few Design & Construction Details ~
First I really wanted a winter version of this dress but as it's gotten colder, I've realized that I'm in jeans and leggings for the foreseeable future. So a tunic version seemed a more realistic and wearable version than a dress.
I made a few design changes to this version. I added an invisible zipper to my denim version but it was in the back of the dress. For the tunic I moved the zipper to the front of the tunic. I was inspired by this photo that I found online from Heidi Daus (one of my favorite jewelry spots) this summer...
When I decided to go with the invisible zipper in the front of the garment, I went through the zipper stash and I had nothing I wanted. Since I now work in the midst of the garment district, a quick trip to Pacific Trimmings during lunchtime and I found a couple of contenders.
The black zipper was shortened to 12" like the taupe/gray one
What I liked best about these choices is that the zipper tape was made from a heavier twill tape and was 5/8" wide. Because of the way the zipper was made, I didn't need to interface that front seam.
Since it's winter, I made the sleeves longer for warmth but of course that brought it's own challenges. I had to draft a sleeve using the short sleeve from the pattern and a sleeve I'm presently using for other patterns. It ends at my wristbone and could have been longer but I'm going with it.
The body of the tunic is lined in a yellow rayon bemberg but not the sleeves. Originally I lined them but they were tight and uncomfortable (guess I didn't have enough width in the biceps of the sleeve) so I removed the lining. I also had to lower the underarm seam by 3/4" to give me a better range of motion. Those are the only construction changes I made from my original versions.
A Few Pictures ~
As with any TNT pattern after I've worked out fit issues, I start messing with the design and construction of the garment. To me, that's the fun of a TNT pattern, that it can be anything I want it to be. However, that also means that I lose the quick and easy factor that sewing with a TNT provides. I can't say that I won't use this pattern again...but I am putting it away for now.
I made this top to wear to a work function so it's why the outfit is a little dressier than what I've been wearing. Will probably also end up wearing it to one of my Christmas parties this season too.
I do have some Christmas sewing I want to do, as well as start working on my winter sewing list. I need to get myself together because it will be Christmas and time for my winter sewing break. I have no plans to go away this Christmas break and hope to spend some quality time in the sewing cave.
Finally ~ here's a pic of the grandbabies and me
...as always more later!