Friday, April 13, 2018

Dot...Dot..Dot in Chambray

After making my black shirt with the gingham accents, I really wanted a few more shirts which is what started me down this rabbit hole and ultimately ended up as April being "Shirt Month." 


This shirt is made from fabric that was part of my first order from LA Finch Fabrics. I purchased it during their Black Friday sales in November 2017. While it's not a long time occupant of the collection, I consider this a collection sew, nonetheless.
  
Construction ~
This shirt is sewn as is with no design details added to it. I wanted a chambray shirt with character and the small dot of this fabric provided that. It's a medium weight fabric that will work with a tank top under it or worn alone. Since I want to be able to wear this one in the spring/early summer, I used the button cuff and continuous lap. I noticed that the sewn on cuffs don't work well in the summer heat. 

I use a lot of buttons when I make a shirt with a buttoned cuff. This shirt took 12.  Thankfully there were loads of white/cream buttons in the stash with 12 or more buttons. I also cut this one a little fuller than normal. I think I was feeling "fat" at the time I was cutting it out but it's cool that it has a more relaxed fit.

Lastly, this is a total collection sew. Fabric, buttons and interfacing all from the collection ~ nothing purchased to make this shirt!

A few pics of the shirt ~







...and yes, I'm wearing velvet slip-on sneakers...


Sewing Tip ~
To me button placement is so important on a shirt to prevent gaping.  As I said before I use a lot of buttons on my shirts. The first button I place on the shirt, is in the valley between my breasts. Then one is placed above and below that one. This is to guarantee that there's no gaping. I also use more buttons than suggested and place them closer together ~ typically 3.5" apart. 

This is the beauty of making your own shirt. You can use as many buttons as you like. I also used a larger button than most RTW shirts have. I hate trying to button those tiny shirt buttons so I've sized up. As a plus size woman I find that good button placement and a great fit add up to a well-fitted shirt. I highly suggest that you use the size button and a placement that works for your body, not just what the pattern suggests!

Wearability Factor ~
This shirt was comfortable to wear and worked. It just worked for my everyday life! It was the perfect marriage of fabric and design details. While I was wearing denim on denim, it didn't matter in my work environment. I even got a compliment on this shirt! It was a total winning sew!

Conclusion ~
This fills that spot in my shirt wardrobe of an interesting denim-y type shirt. It was a simple sew since I didn't make any changes to the pattern or add any design elements. Sometimes a shirt just needs to be a shirt!

Oh and one more pic of the shirt with my denim jacket that I think I will finally be able to wear later this week! Cause denim, on top of denim, on top of denim...works for me! 


Continuing on with "Shirt Month" the next shirt has everything but the kitchen sink thrown into it's construction and YET it works!  So look for it next on the blog!

...as always more later!





19 comments:

  1. What a great idea to make it a shirt month! What you are doing is very inspiring for sure. My only problem is that I do not work any longer and therefore need a lot less in my wardrobe.I admit that I sometimes struggle to work out what to make to fit in my present life style.
    Anyway, well done as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therese - I'm attracted to shirts because now that I'm only working in the city 4 days a week, I've found my wardrobe needs have changed. I guess I could have fewer garments but I hate laundry and my dream is to have to do it only once a month! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Another winner!! Cute shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - Thanks! I'm slowly embracing the idea that there are other shoes out there besides heels. It's been a challenge but I'm finally finding beauty in other styles. Though velvet always helps!

      Delete
  3. I also love denim on denim <3

    I have my shirt post in draft mode and touched on the button thing too! I love it!!!

    Chambray shirts are just fun and the polka-dots make it more so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K - this is one of my faves of the shirts I've made. I love the weight and feel of the chambray and the fact that I can pull it out and wear it over any of my jeans. Especially since I live in jeans and leggings until it gets warmer.

      Delete
  4. I so appreciate these posts on button down shirts. I often make them but mine mostly end up in the regulation pile because of ill-fitting fronts. I'd really appreciate a tutorial on collas if possible.......
    Great shirts and you have inspired me to try to do better....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth - honestly mine are getting better because I keep making them over and over again. That old adage about practice makes perfect is definitely true in this instance. Each shirt allows me to refine my ability to perform a task. So besides the fact that I have so many design opportunities, I also have a techniques clinic with each shirt.

      Delete
  5. Great new dot.dot.dot chambray shirt!!! It looks great with your denim jacket and leggings/jeggings, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with a lot of denim! Cute shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - aren't they the best! I know you'd appreciate them since I understand your love of shoes, too!

      Delete
  7. absolutely love the shirt and can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this shirt. So far it is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB - I know what's still coming down the pipe and this is one of my faves too! Thanks for liking it.

      Delete
  9. This shirt is absolutely perfect and it looks wonderful. You inspire me, as always, to try yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda - I say go for it. To me each shirt is a mini sewing techniques clinic and I'm loving refining my skills.

      Delete
  10. Great advice on button placement and yes this is super cute, I have one denim shirt and thinking I need another! Also great idea to increase button size, you are so right that we should use what we need to and the results will be great! I took note to increase button size and button placement if I want to, thanks for giving an approximation, guess I can finally use the button gauge I purchased.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails