Version One ~
This is an easy top with several variations. I used View C. I sewed this straight out of the envelope in a size XXL. The only pattern alterations were made to the sleeves to make the bicep area larger.
Somehow I overlooked the fact that the pattern envelope calls it a close fitting top. I hate close fitting tops. I like the illusion of a close fit but not an actual close fit - if you know what I mean!
I don't know how my daughter and I missed it but all of my pics
wearing the top with this necklace have it sitting over one breast! Oy!
The fabric used in the top is a double faced wool knit with the burnt orange on one side and the heathered gray on the other. So I used the gray for the sew on edges. I purchased this from Fabric Mart many moons ago.
I will wear this but it won't be a favorite. So much so that I didn't even bother to finish the sleeve hems...just turned them up. And after seeing the pictures, I'm going to leave them just like this!
A few more photos ~
Because I really like the idea of the top and Shams version, I decided to alter the front and back pattern pieces for a total asymmetrical look. Now the real pattern work came in.
This was one of the last tops we shot and I was starting to get
a little punchy. Don't know how models do this!
Pattern Alterations ~
- First I added two inches at the shorten/lengthen line on the front and back pieces.
- Then I added another four inches to the bottom of the front and back pieces.
- On the center front line I sliced it up and spread it 1/2 inch wide at the top out to two inches at the bottom.
- At the center back line I sliced it up and spread it 1/2 inch wide at the top and an inch at the bottom.
- This gave me 60" in width around the hip line.
- Then I redrew the altered pattern pieces onto new pattern paper.
Construction Info. ~
For this version, I chose a sweatery turquoise knit that I bought in 2006. Yeah those little tags I place on the front of the fabric tells me everything! Anyway it's been in the collection long enough, it's time for it to be useful.
With this top I followed the instructions except for the fact that I inserted the sleeves flat. I just don't understand inserting sleeves into knit garments in the round. Why? Especially when I've found that I get a better finish when I insert sleeves flat.
Other than that the construction was straight forward. It went together easily and I was careful when handling the fabric not to stretch it too much. I didn't want to distort it.
A few more pictures of the top ~
The top is thin so I'm wearing it with a camisole underneath it.
This is the way I will always wear it.
I had an idea to make a color blocked version of this pattern but I'm moving on. Even with my alterations its still a close fitting top and personally I'm still trying to come to grips with a closer fit. Though both my Mom and Daughter loved this one and my daughter keeps reminding me that you can really see the weight loss in my closer fitting clothing...sure, right.
The turquoise one will probably be worn more than the orange/grey version. Although when shooting the orange/grey one outside I realized that it will probably be very warm this winter. Anyway two of them are enough...
A Parting Shot ~
As you know my daughter comes with four little assistants and trying to persuade little people that they shouldn't be in every shot can be interesting. So my parting shot is of Miss Sammy coming to join me in a picture.
...as always more later!