Thursday, January 24, 2019

One, Two, Three Pembrokes all in a Row

It's January and cold here in the Tri-State Area.  I hate being cold and I've wanted to sew my own turtleneck type sweater for awhile. Because of that, I was especially grateful when Jenny released the Pembroke Tunic for Cashmerette PatternsMy first one was from a wool knit that I've worn quite a bit since making it.  

During the MLK Holiday Weekend, I made three more of them. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage and settle in. I've included them all in this post instead of three separate posts, because I'm not writing three different ones! Due to that, this is a picture heavy post with quite a bit of commentary...



Pembroke Tunic One ~ The French Terry Version

I purchased this piece of french terry from one of those little dress shops that line the garment district side streets. It was owned by an older Orthodox Jewish gentlemen. They were closing the store and selling the excess pieces of fabric. I bought this piece and another one for $10. While it's not new, it has been in the collection for almost three years. 

When I was floundering during my holiday break, I thought that if I made a quick project it would jumpstart my sewing mojo. I got the top made but it didn't spur me on to sew and the insides weren't finished. So when I decided to make more of these, this one needed all of the finishing done to the insides of the top.

I am glad that I ended up with this new top. It's the most basic of all of my versions but a wonderful addition to the wardrobe.

Some pictures ~





Pembroke Tunic Two ~ A Paisley Felted Wool Jersey

This fabric is OLD. I bought about 7 yards of this from Fabric Mart back when felting wool jersey was H-U-G-E! My intent was to make a twinset using the felted piece as the cardigan and the unfelted piece as the top underneath. 

(felted on the left/unfelted on the right)

After putting the wool jersey through the felting process, it lost all of it's color and vibrancy. I was totally unprepared for this because it had never happened before. As you can see above, the difference between the felted and unfelted pieces was too great for my original idea so I put them on the shelf to wait for inspiration.

This piece counts as #deepstash since it's at least 12 years old! YES!!! Also since its felted, I'm sure it's going to be really warm. Due to the bulk of the fabric, this version has the cowl that stands furthest away from my neck but it will be okay when wearing.

Some pictures ~ 



Yes, I'm wearing gray sneakers. My sneaker collection has gotten quite deep. When I find a pair I like, I tend to buy more than one color. This pair is from The Avenue and is on sale now. I own them in black and gray and they have a velcro strap that I think is AMAZING! Though my daughter called them toddler sneakers! LOL! 


Worn with Butterick 6389 felted wool vest from 2017

This is the first of my 10 #deepstash garments for 2019. I'm thrilled with that!


Pembroke Tunic Three ~ Black & White Version

When scrounging through the 
fabric bins looking for a piece to make another Dover Jacket, I touched this piece and automatically thought Pembroke. My only challenge was that I didn't have enough fabric to make a tunic with long sleeves. Since it was black 'n white doubleknit, I knew it would work with black ponte and I have a small stash of it on hand. Cause you always need black ponte - ALWAYS!

This fabric wasn't tagged and I don't know how that happened! I have no idea where it came from but I'm thinking its NOT Fabric Mart, maybe Metro Textiles. There's only 2 yards of it and it's been in the collection for at least 2-3 years since I don't remember purchasing it recently. So not deep stash but definitely not new.

After laying the tunic pattern pieces out, I realized that I would be scrimping on the cowl. I decided to cut both the sleeves and the cowl out of the black ponte creating a colorblocked look. I plan on wearing it under my black hoodie to add another layer of warmth.


Some pictures ~




I'm happy to have three new layering pieces to add to my closet especially with the temperatures in the teens. I'm putting this pattern away for a minute. I've made four of them and I'm ready for a new sewing adventure now.

...as always more later!  

17 comments:

  1. Great looking warm snuggly tunics. My favourite is the faded paisley. Loved how you styled it too. I'm almost tempted by this pattern - don't generally like fabric round my neck but... And it's 30+°C here so not even the weather for temptation

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly got good use out of this pattern and the tops all look great. I love seeing how a different fabric can change the look of a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love most is that you used some of your stash fabric! That really inspires me to do the same! I hadn't really thought about using this pattern, but seeing your makes is making me think I should explore that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the color blocked one! It's going to be 5° here in Chicago tomorrow so I'm particularly drawn to these tops *brrrrr*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. splendidcakes - that's exactly why they came to be - temps in the single digits with wind chills making it minus degrees. I need some warmth!

      Delete
  5. I'm thrilled that your sewjo has come home. My favorite of these is the felted wool, I didn't realize it was a print until I zoomed in on the photo. I also like the solid gray but they are all fabulous! g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at the hanging tunics I was like...I like them all!
    Then, OMG I LIKE THE GRAY ONE THE MOST!
    Oooooooh. I like the felted one.
    Oh! The colorblocked one is fun!

    LOL!! So glad the mojo has returned and yay for using deep stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All tunics are great, I couldn't pick a favorite and they all look so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see your post today Carolyn. Love, love, love your Pembrokes. All of them, (including the first one you made in November from the border print) are so varied - it's amazing to me that you see so much potential from one pattern. I have to remember to do more with the patterns that I love and that fit me well. Kudos to you, girl, and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look beautiful on you, very chic with your gray kicks and red lippie. Stylish and polished as always and so glad to see your new garments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All look fabulous and comfy. Especially with the sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all three Pembrokes!!! The gray is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, three great tops in a weekend! You’re super productive. I like them all and my favorite is the paisley one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am curious about the black pants, which taper perfectly! Did you make them? Is yes, may I ask the pattern number and the fabric you chose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally - honestly all of my pants and jeans are RTW. These are from QVC (https://www.qvc.com/Women-with-Control-Tall-Pull-On-Slim-Leg-Pants.product.A310163.html?productNumber=A310163&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=A310163&upsh=1&TZ=EST) I bought them in navy and black in Tall and removed 2" from the hemline. Wanted them in more colors but they had sold out in my size. My jeans are from Jessica London and The Avenue.

      Delete
  14. They look so comfy and fit so nicely. What a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails