When I picked the pattern, I was drawn to the drape depicted in the cover art. However, after making the pattern alterations to give me the drape and length I wanted, I ended up with very large and wide pattern pieces. On a regular piece of fabric, the pieces would have to be cut singly which ate up alot of yardage. I thought a 4 yard cut of 56" wide fabric would work but no...I needed at least 5-6 yards of fabric.
My first thought was that I owned nothing in that amount of yardage that wasn't a wool. I b*tched and moaned to Gaylen about how could this be. I started to run options through my mind. I even went to Fabric Mart and loaded the cart with a rayon challis because it was 60% off making it about $4 a yard. A reasonable price to me for 6 yards of fabric. The only thing that stopped me from purchasing it was knowing it wouldn't get to me for a week. I was worried I would've moved on by then. So that large amount of fabric would just sit in the collection ~ nah ~ been there, done that!
Finally I got up and started going through the collection. I was looking for anything that could be color blocked or if hopefully there was 5 yards of something I hadn't remembered. Instead I found a Marimekko extra long twin, set of sheets...and OMG! The heavens opened up and the fabric angels sang!!! That is how I ended up with a Marimekko Vogue 9371.
Supply List ~
1 flat Crate & Barrel Marimekko sheet
1 fitted Crate & Barrel Marimekko sheet
12 - 7/8" 2-hole white mother of pearl buttons from the button collection
White bias binding
Pattern Alterations ~
- The first alteration was to slice both the front and back pattern pieces and spread them 1/2" at the top with a 3" width increase at the bottom.
- At the lengthen line I cut and added 3"
- Then I added another 3" at the hemline.
I did have to cut the elastic off the fitted sheet and press it out before I could cut the pattern.
After pressing the sheet out, it handled just like regular fabric and I was able to cut out the extra large pattern pieces easily.
The only design change I made to this version is that I added inseam pockets to the dress using the pocket pattern from my Myosotis Dress.
When I was thinking about how I wanted this dress to look in pictures, I kept thinking of the flowy dresses my Mother use to wear to parties in the 70s. Lotsa hair that was enhanced by a wig piece and a huge scarf tied around it all. I wanted to emulate that look with these pictures and I believe I was successful.
A few pictures ~
And with a little twirl...
To keep this from looking muu-muu like, I kept a closer fit at the bustline and shoulders. I added to the body of the dress so it would have greater flow at the lengthened hemline.
Also, I did not prewash the sheet. I'm hoping and praying that since it's a sheet it won't shrink.
Other than that, this is my "Throwback to the 70s - Marimekko Vogue 9371." I know it's bold and loose but that's how I'm feeling this summer. A little Maude-ish, a little free and definitely so-so comfortable.
...as always more later!