Sunday, July 07, 2019

A Thirty Year Old Holyoke

After seeing some of the other versions of this skirt, I really wanted one of those soft swingy ones. So I pulled out a challis and cut out another Holyoke skirt...however, this post isn't about that skirt because it's only halfway done.


While I was looking for a nice soft rayon challis to make version two, my hand touched the fabric I used for what's technically my third Holyoke. This fabric has a back story...

I purchased this fabric in 1989 from Cloth World, the precursor to JoAnns. I remember the exact day...not because something spectacular happened but more because I was a really pregnant woman roaming around Cloth World buying fabric with my lunch money because I was miserable. I was pregnant with my third daughter, huge and ready to be done, but with several more months to go. 

At that time, I did buy fabric for future projects but not projects that would be years in the making. I didn't have that kind of money...not with two little girls and one on the way. But I loved this fabric and two other pieces like it. They made me feel good in a way that not much did at the time. So I bought them. 

I don't even think they manufacture this type of fabric anymore. It's a linen-like fabric that's probably more poly than linen and it was made to look like linen but not wrinkle like it. I made quite a few garments from this type of fabric back in the day. This is truly deep stash sewing!


I made one change to this Holyoke.  Instead of inseam pockets I decided to try and make some pockets that were placed on the outside of the skirt ~ sewn between the seams of the skirt.

This pocket was inspired by a skirt I saw on JJill's site. I liked it and realized it was an easy change to make to my pattern.  


Here's my pattern piece ~


The finished pocket is kind of deep and wide. After I made it I wasn't sure it actually worked. It wasn't until the skirt was photographed and my daughter raved about the pockets that I thought okay, I can live with them.
  1. As you can see I made the pattern piece by putting the side front and center front skirt pieces together.  
  2. Then I traced a piece that filled the space from side to side. 
  3. My pattern piece is 8" long with a 1/2" turn at the top and at the bottom - so 7" finished. 
  4. Wide enough to jam my hands or stuff into.
  5. I also placed the pockets further down than the inseam pocket because I wanted to slide my hands down into them.
It was simple to do and added no extra time to the construction of the skirt. Otherwise the skirt construction was exactly the same as the first one.

My buttons are from deep stash too. Buttons I've had since that same daughter was 9. So except for the new pattern, all of the pieces of the skirt have been marinating in my collection waiting for their time to be used.

A Few Pictures ~



I love that I'm fulfilling one of my 2019 goals - to sew several garments using deep stash fabrics/notions from the collection. This skirt is made from fabric that is as deep stash as it gets!

My third and final Holyoke will be finished and probably make it to the blog before the month is over. That will most likely be my last one for the season. I have so many things on my to-sew list that I really want to get made!

...as always more later!







22 comments:

  1. I remember Cloth World! Walking in and seeing round tables with fabric in multiple colorways...and that fabric store smell that's entirely missing from JA's. My sister and I would drive in to Indianapolis from time to time to shop at Cloth World; we'd always stop by my Grandmother's on our way home to show her our new purchases. Didn't matter what it was...she'd always say, 'Oh, that would make nice curtains!' LOL.

    Love your skirt! So fresh and summery! And the pockets totally rock! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh yeah fabric store smell! You definitely DON'T get that at JA's. I had a daughter in 1989 as well so clearly we were all miserable that summer! LOL

      Delete
  2. I remember Cloth World too, and if I'm picturing correctly the fabric you're describing (and I think I am), I loved it too. It made up so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As shown by your skirt, which is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great look and perfect pairing with the sweater. My niece was born in 1989 so I hark back to that year fondly. Brava for hanging on to the fabric this long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look beautiful.
    Such a great outfit for the season and the co-ordination is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful fabric, and made into a great skirt! Very wearable for 30 years old. I have some fabric in a box that would be close to that age.... Must look one day and see if I have any gems like you

    ReplyDelete
  7. That skirt is really pretty, and I love the sweater you've paired with it! I especially enjoy the fact that you remember specifically when you bought the fabric, and I'm sure that makes this skirt even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful outfit. I remember that fabric. It was great. I made a few work outfits from that and the attorneys thought I spend a bundle for my clothes. Fun. I miss Cloth World.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty skirt. It flows so well. Looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! How I miss ClothWorld. It was the BEST.PLACE.EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - right! I could spend hours there looking at all the fabrics and imagining things AND there wasn't miles and miles of fleece!

      Delete
  11. The aged fabric made a fresh and summery skirt. You brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too miss Cloth World. A friend worked at the Nashville store so I could take in all the beautiful, higher quality fabric and see my friend too.
    I too have some of that soft mystery linen in four colors, and a remnant of a cream piece used for a pair of pants I loved. I don't know what happened to them. I should use the remnant for a boxy top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful skirt Carolyn. Maybe kettlecloth? It was widely available back in the day in many colors and prints. It was a poly cotton mix that was great to sew with. Way back in 1978 my mom and I made my bridesmaid's dresses from it in blue, yellow, green, and orange. We purchased it at House of Fabrics. I've tried to find kettlecloth a couple of times since but can't find anything but a muslin color. Thanks for the memories. I love your skirt :).



    ReplyDelete
  14. That flowy soft drape is very flattering on you. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great flowy skirt - I look at you and think cool summery outfit, Carolyn! As far as deep stashing goes, this is one of those really special pieces because of the memory. I've experienced feeling a bit frustrated and end up fabric browsing - I remember Cloth World. I call it "buying a piece of happy", knowing it's going to be something special. Another great make!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carolyn, I know exactly the kind of fabric you're talking about. Just lovely to wear. Your skirt pretty and breezy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is why I will never NOT stash. Sometimes, the most perfect piece of fabric presents itself! I love your skirt!!! And it looks so pretty with the coral top and brown shoes <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a happy look! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous fabric and I loved the back story about the fabric. Lovely summer looking skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails