Saturday, June 05, 2021

Remaking my Sewing Spaces

It's June and I promised myself that once spring arrived I would work on making my Winter Sewing Room (which I'm now just calling the Sewing Room) and Resource Center function better for me. While I've stored away 90% of my fabric, and all of my buttons and bindings, the extra patterns have remained in boxes and garbage bags for the last 8 months. Well all except my TNT patterns and newly purchased ones.

So to make my sewing spaces perform better, I needed to purchase more stuff.  I've dragged my feet because it's not only buying, it's assembling since nothing comes prebuilt anymore. I have many skills, assembling furniture isn't one of them. While I looked at things to buy, I also looked for someone to assemble them.

That's what's taken so long...getting furniture purchased, delivered, assembled and placed. Oh and my stubbornness because I refused to purchase items from IKEA if they don't deliver to my address...and so much wasn't available to be delivered to MY home address.

A few reasons why I've decided to keep the sewing space downstairs:

  • I've been sewing in it for the last couple of months and I like it. 
  • There's light and an actual window with a view that I can look out and observe the world around me. Better than the Sewing Cave or the Sewing Loft. Didn't realize how much I missed that.
  • It's easily accessible to the rest of the apartment and it gives me the same calming feeling that the Loft does. 
  • Making the Loft my Resource Center is a good use of the space and allows me to have an organized space to hold all of my sewing accoutrements of which I own ALOT.
  • I'm going to update this space by removing everything from the floor and putting it on wall shelving. It will make the Sewing Room less cluttered.



These pictures are after I've moved the sewing tables and all of the sewing machines downstairs. This brings me such joy that all I do is cut, sew and compute in this room.

I've purchased the shelving and the totes to make everything orderly and functional. I also have curtains to hang. I've just been dragging my feet about hiring someone to finish these last installs.  

As previously mentioned, the Loft will now function as a "Resource Center". 


The first set of filing cabinets have been built, carried to the Loft and stuffed with the patterns that had no home and were just hanging out in boxes and bags. I still have one more filing cabinet and small bookcase to be built to add to the other wall.  That should give me more than enough room for future pattern growth.

This is the other side of the loft right now...


There are seven bins of fabric here that have to be dealt with and I'm undecided about them.  It's mostly coating fabric in these bins and I'm trying to decide whether to put them in storage or what?  Once they're handled and a few more pieces moved around, I should be fine.

I also want to set up an area to take photos when my daughter is unavailable. But that's a whole 'nother set of purchases I'm not ready to make yet. I know I'm investing in my sewing situation but this last year has been all about purchasing things so it will wait a minute, especially since June is here and I can shoot outside for awhile.

A few photos from Sewing Rooms past and not in the so distant pass...

The Sewing Cave as it looked right before I packed it up!


The Sewing Loft when I thought I could sew in it...

BTW, I just received my notice of lease renewal.  It's been almost a year since I moved in. I laughed out loud when the Leasing Center asked if I wanted to move out. Hell, all of my stuff isn't unpacked yet...so noooooooo!


...as always more later! 




26 comments:

  1. So Very Jo's site is infected. Visitors should not click on any pop ups from this site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having moved this last year it is reassuring to see it does not happen overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie is right, nothing happens overnight. I think it takes a year to get settled, because how are you supposed to know how pleasant specific rooms will be at different seasons? I have recently gotten a sewing room with a view myself, and I love the view, I totally understand how precious that can be. Also I would imagine that you could appreciate being able to focus on the project in progress, with all the rest upstairs out of your hair? In any case it sounds like you are doing very well, congratulations. wish I was close enough to volunteer to help with the furniture ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC - I wish so too! I'm sure if I had a bunch of sewing friends over, we could knock everything out, get it all settled and I could relieve myself of some fabric too!

      Delete
    2. That’s a great idea.

      Delete
  4. I dream of having a sewing room! Yours is coming together nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see INSPIRATION overflowing everywhere! Sew where it makes you happy, have what inspires you out on display. I like your term of Resource center! Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your post! It gave me an idea for my own "resource center" which is "partially" upstairs, and I have a small cabinet where I cut and sew downstairs that is full and that could go upstairs too, and then I can open up the floorspace when I refill the emptied small cabinet with those items. Thanks for giving me that lightbulb moment and breathing space where I actually sew. Who says it has to all be in the same room!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thinking from a great lady as always x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your space looks so great! I love the way you've organized everything - it gives me a lot of ideas about future pattern and fabric storage goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My office/craft room is a resource centre and all actual sewing happens on the dining room table. I had only realised that recently when considering the tax implications of home office deductions. I do love my Ikea Algot storage and am very proud of having put it up myself. Up a ladder with a fear of heights is not the best place to learn to use a hammer drill though! Getting help is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sewing space looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an excellent decision to keep the sewing room downstairs. You will love the view, and the extra daylight. Last week my Optician told me I need twice as much light now (at 74) than I did when I was twelve. That is before considering cataracts etc. with age. I am fortunate to sew at a window, but am upgrading the room lights as well. The resource centre sounds a terrific idea too - maybe I could start one of them in the garage :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting organized is key so your creativity can bloom! I sew in a very small space that has lots of cabinets for all my machines and notions. The spare bedroom holds all the fabric and ironing board. I've lived/sewed in this setup for nearly 3 years and it works for me. The only thing missing is my large cutting table so my kitchen island fills that void. Glad you're happy in your latest sewing space. Sew on, Carolyn, so we can see your beauties! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love all the wall you space you now have. I have zero because all my shelving covers it up. Except for windows I could give it up. Love being able to look outside at gardens and trees gives e sense of piece. If I were to move to upstairs spare room would have Very limited view and 2 small windows. I have decided after seeing your storage shelves to invest in a couple more to better manage my fabrics. Love your idea of curtains to cover the shelves. Happy June. Shalom, Pegeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg - without the fabric covered it was a visual assault on my eyes. LOL! I love that I now can draw back the curtains when looking for something and I'm loving that everything is properly organized. Now to finish it off.

      Delete
  14. Love the new sewing room and resource center!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd hate to be without a window to outside again. We've been in this house for 18(!) years and I've moved at least a few things ever few years. The last major change was about a year after DS moved out when I claimed his room. No, the sewing room was not moved, I added it to my space. Every now and then DH asks if moving all my sewing things to the basement would work. Nope. There are windows but they look at the mess under the deck, it's colder than I'd like (but not damp), and the biggest danger - more space would be more temptation to get more stuff. And then there's all the work to move everything and cost for storage. The best option is to sew stash and rehome what's not "me" any more.

    Nice work on your sewing room setup. And good for you that you realized the loft wasn't working for you *before* you hauled the machines back up there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great use of space! I believe you have to actually live in a space for awhile before you can see it's potential. Sewing downstairs with the added light is a plus. I'd like to move upstairs from the basement: tho I have such an open, well-lit and comfortably organized space there, I had an ankle injury a few weeks ago where I couldn't handle the stairs. No sewing!! ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand. First it was the surgery and then it was the heat. I couldn't believe my well thought out and organized sewing loft wasn't going to work for me. Just glad I had options!

      Delete
  17. Time went by so quickly!! Love your space

    ReplyDelete
  18. For years I sewed facing the wall. A new sewing cabinet and table forced me to rearrange my space and now I face the wall of windows with my sewing machine and overlooking the rest of the loft and the upper windows in the living room. It’s amazing how much better it feels to see treetops instead of a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - I remember seeing pictures of your loft sewing space and I will admit that it did influence me setting up mine. However, I think my window was just too far away in the loft. While I did get out of the basement, the extra light in this space from the very large window is just enticing. Glad you were able to move some things around in your space.

      Delete
  19. Hi Carolyn, I've been following your blog for more than 10 years now but commenting infrequently (sorry). I've learned a lot from you about sewing and life, so it's time I thanked you. I'm glad you have a time and place to sew to your heart's content. Over the years I have moved from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to rural Ohio, where I now seem to be developing not a sewing room but a sewing house! Fabric and soon probably cutting in the basement where it is cooler; patterns in the spare room and sewing machine and serger in my bedroom. Vintage machines around the living room as I get them working. I've never been a very productive sewist but you inspire me to keep trying. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyn ~ I think the Covid time got the best of many creatives~~~~ me for sure! You're blouse is FUN! I hope you'll come back to it. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails